The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Top Gear Magazine review and online review (UK)

“For all it owes to the Defender and G-Wagen, the Ineos Grenadier has lots of character of its own”

AFD78DB4-9CD4-4A45-8AC0-88ABAF9514DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 55A2084E-4422-404A-875C-0D4B6CB2D57C.jpeg
    55A2084E-4422-404A-875C-0D4B6CB2D57C.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 45632981-3B74-4AB1-BDBE-D58307822F4A.jpeg
    45632981-3B74-4AB1-BDBE-D58307822F4A.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 5A49D924-9F31-4556-8044-48FAC172E03D.jpeg
    5A49D924-9F31-4556-8044-48FAC172E03D.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 2C46160A-327D-40E2-84C3-374EA1AD9E10.jpeg
    2C46160A-327D-40E2-84C3-374EA1AD9E10.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 0959923D-208B-4E7C-AF39-F2A90EEBE428.jpeg
    0959923D-208B-4E7C-AF39-F2A90EEBE428.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited by a moderator:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Depends on which G-Wagen you're thinking about, I presume we're ignoring the ~2,300 of them painted in camouflage.
When the utilitarian G-Wagen Professionals (W461) were on sale
Had a W461 turned up 2nd hand at a fair price I might have jumped on it.
I wouldn't know about serviceabiluty though.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’d buy it on the second hand market and de-pimpify in a heartbeat, definitely a candidate for the portal kit.
You'd buy him a camo onesie , a bootcamp membership and a high lift jack?
He's probably got the first two.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Depends on which G-Wagen you're thinking about, I presume we're ignoring the ~2,300 of them painted in camouflage.
When the utilitarian G-Wagen Professionals (W461) were on sale it seemed they were largely taken up by off-road users, albeit not of the 4WD 24-7 variety.

Pretty much $130K base scared folks off I think, noting that this was good buying if one tracked the spec sheet.

The G400d and G63 (W463s) are firmly at the luxury end of the spectrum and surely not the first choice for hard rural use.
One of the Ineos chaps here was responsible for the G model line, had a very interesting chat with him about how the spec shifted (bifurcated) over the years. I don't think you're alone in that view.

The W463 G350 has been ideal for us, and done its share of off-roading. Back when we got it I thought it was Star Trek level gadgetry, but now against the current G400D is comparatively analogue.
IMG_7806 small.JPG

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Thanks Stu.

This article postulates that TG reviews seem to be more biased towards sports cars than others and I guess esp. off road cars
My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't give weight to a road vehicle magazine over a 4x4 review, most like TG are not in the game as far as overlanding/4x4ing so to me it holds no water

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
I agree that we probably shouldn't put too much weight to the score being the same as the Wrangler. If you look at it from a sports car journo's point of view, they're both extremely similar: handle poorly (compared to a Ferrari), acceleration is awful (compared to a new Corvette or Veyron) and gadgetry / electronic nannies are missing (compared to a BMW M or whatever).

He's out of his element, so his opinions are colored by his lack of experience with the platform (4X4 - off road specialty vehicle).

Also to amplify what others have said about the lockers not being instantaneous, I've driven 4x4s pickups and SUVs that had to be put in neutral to engage the diffs. Shift on the fly is great, but you have to know how to use your equipment correctly.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
It's OK I don't play football, nor is the wifey a WAG
However - I fear this will happen one day.. we cannot prevent that a few companies attempt to pimp the Grenadier.

There are also good modifications - On Saturday - on the way to shooting range I passed on the motorway a Mercedes G Wagon - but rightfull pimped the other way. Portals, Mud Tyres etc.. so proper modified.. I would need a ladder to climb in this one.. - not a previous military utility.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
However - I fear this will happen one day.. we cannot prevent that a few companies attempt to pimp the Grenadier.

There are also good modifications - On Saturday - on the way to shooting range I passed on the motorway a Mercedes G Wagon - but rightfull pimped the other way. Portals, Mud Tyres etc.. so proper modified.. I would need a ladder to climb in this one.. - not a previous military utility.
Exactly - I believe this to be true about the Grenadier - function over form. So portals, lifts, tires, etc, make the vehicle more capable in its natural environment. Lowered, big wheels, low-profile tires, etc. are about form, certainly not function.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Instructor can say that as he is not paying to fill the vehicle :LOL: but can understand that from a driving perspective
Cost wise petrol and diesel are equal right now. Diesel consumes 20% less, but is 20% more expensive. Give me the smoother, quieter, more powerful, exciting and responsive B58 petrol engine any day.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Cost wise petrol and diesel are equal right now. Diesel consumes 20% less, but is 20% more expensive. Give me the smoother, quieter, more powerful, exciting and responsive B58 petrol engine any day.
Yeah, I can understand you're point. But for me it's distance over power 🙂

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly - I believe this to be true about the Grenadier - function over form. So portals, lifts, tires, etc, make the vehicle more capable in its natural environment. Lowered, big wheels, low-profile tires, etc. are about form, certainly not function.
I had it in my head that these mods are inspired by the VIP convoy vehicles popular with oligarchs, which start with Range Rovers and G-Wagens as base vehicles - the payload permits the addition of armour. Same in the Gulf states except they start with LCs. The Russian gangsters on the 2008 Costa del Sol used to lap this stuff up.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand you're point. But for me it's distance over power 🙂
Most say it is for range, I would hazard a guess that few use or need the range. Here I am in Cairns, heading up the cape at least 3 times a year, and not me nor any of my mates have long range tanks. Some, like yourself may need range, but for most, it is the fantasy of that big trip they all dream about. I use high quality steel Jerry cans, they get me where I need to go and back again.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Here the prices are equal again. But diesel isn’t taxed as high as petrol.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Then, like VW did, we'll have to unpimp their ride!

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
Unless you are buying a Grenadier as your weekend track car :LOL:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I had it in my head that these mods are inspired by the VIP convoy vehicles popular with oligarchs, which start with Range Rovers and G-Wagens as base vehicles - the payload permits the addition of armour. Same in the Gulf states except they start with LCs. The Russian gangsters on the 2008 Costa del Sol used to lap this stuff up.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I'm in the camp of its your vehicle do whatever you want, if you like it then great.

If ram mounts make a setup for the Grenadier as they do for the jeep and other vehicles, then I'll happily modify by installing, however low profile tyres on 24 inch rims don't fit my intended use.

Wait until the Chelsea tractor co or Kahn get hold of one then we'll wish for a Brabus version, its only a matter of time before the tuning houses start working on these vehicles I think.

Finishing up on that line, I wonder how Top Gear would review an Alpina Grenadier.......

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the camp of its your vehicle do whatever you want, if you like it then great.

If ram mounts make a setup for the Grenadier as they do for the jeep and other vehicles, then I'll happily modify by installing, however low profile tyres on 24 inch rims don't fit my intended use.

Wait until the Chelsea tractor co or Kahn get hold of one then we'll wish for a Brabus version, its only a matter of time before the tuning houses start working on these vehicles I think.

Finishing up on that line, I wonder how Top Gear would review an Alpina Grenadier.......
🤮

Back
Top Bottom