The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The EVO review (UK)

Last edited:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
He has a point. Especially if you’re in the back. And it’s a lot nicer environment for the dogs of course. I prefer mine with the grenadier towing the mobile pub so I can have the driver stop every time I fancy a pint.

I never seem to actually make it to the polo match on time though.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is not meant for all ... as obviously some can't appreciate what it is and more importantly what it IS NOT.
So funny you mention a Bentley given that is who my dealer is ☺️ .

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Its a fair review allbeit a bit brutal in places.
Dont agree with the concept being out of date already.
It is not a fashion statement nor a masterpiece of Tech, Some people spend carefully, and we never expect to be seeing too many Grenadiers in the supermarket carpark.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
new defender got stuck behind me in a field yesterday. I have to say I smiled a bit.

He had road tyres on but lets not dwell on that too much.....

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A pretty average review that has some points that might be valid if you don’t fundamentally get the vehicle.
I’m quite happy to share my enjoyment with people who do get it !

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Think I need to return my car as it is not representiative to this review

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
another review saying the bog standard Defender is way cheaper. Can't be bothered to check but I find that unlikely, i.e if you were to spec a Defender to the same level as a 2 seater 'basic' Gren, are they not similar in price? I ran a like for like on my spec Gren and found the Defender was more pricey. Ok not an exact likeness but as close as I could get.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
Its a fair review allbeit a bit brutal in places.
Dont agree with the concept being out of date already.
It is not a fashion statement nor a masterpiece of Tech, Some people spend carefully, and we never expect to be seeing too many Grenadiers in the supermarket carpark.
Hm, I have to confess, yesterday I had to do a stop on a supermarket and get some stuff on request of my spouse on way home from forest and repair works. Grenadier got some mud on sides and side runners.. and some attention of other customers.. circling on car park went better than assumed. However not much attention paid, there were a few pickups and other vehicles and much dirtier than mine. So this is usual business at countryside.
A luxury SUV will draw a lot more attention..

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, I have to confess, yesterday I had to do a stop on a supermarket and get some stuff on request of my spouse on way home from forest and repair works. Grenadier got some mud on sides and side runners.. and some attention of other customers.. circling on car park went better than assumed. However not much attention paid, there were a few pickups and other vehicles and much dirtier than mine. So this is usual business at countryside.
A luxury SUV will draw a lot more attention..
a dirty Gren is a good Gren

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 12

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
"It’s been quite a while since I’ve driven something that requires this much mental capacity to drive in a straight line"

Wow - is it really that hard to drive? I have a my first on payment test drive tomorrow. Looking forward to being able to access personally.

The UK reviews continue the trend of being the most negative.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
"It’s been quite a while since I’ve driven something that requires this much mental capacity to drive in a straight line"

Wow - is it really that hard to drive? I have a my first on payment test drive tomorrow. Looking forward to being able to access personally.

Indeed no. You need focus of course but correcting it on long lanes is of very low effort. But for sure it is not the go cart feeling of a mini cooper or a BMW M3 or M4 .. but in that cars you need a lot attention too but different.

Reactions: BD1

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
EVO caters for the supercar, supersaloon market and basement anoracks. I think it is safe to say that the person testing it does not "get" it. Neither have they actually tried to buy a "basic" new Defender - blingy ones are easy to buy, really basic ones are still only by (very slow) special order. Commercially, I can see why JLR are doing that, why sell a £52k LR90 when you can sell a £88k LR90?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score

It is hard to avoid being a bit judgemental - the reviewer is a tosser. By which I mean if you’re presenting yourself as an expert, you owe your audience some expertise, and some comprehension. These type of reviews say more about the reviewer than the car.

yes it can take a few hours to adjust to the steering. It is like that for a reason, it does not reqire work to stay in a straight line, there is no play, it is not imprecise. Those things are artefacts of a poorly skilled driver - it does however feel different, and require winding off in corners. Not accelerating out helps, at first.

the rest of his tripe, about defender pricing (an illusion of the ‘options’ rort) and no one asking for this car - many of us have been asking for exactly this car, for decades. And it shows a superb application of the best choice of design and high technology tuning.

I do wonder if Ineos might be able to better brief and manage the reviewers expectations and experience; obviously they cant change the proportion of clueless muppets, but we all need them to create the understanding around the car for appropriate judgements to be presented.

Dagger22

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I took a test drive yesterday; pavement only. I too had some trepidation from reading some of the UK reviews but have to say I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the drive and ride. It is definitely not a sports car nor does it drive like one but I wasn’t expecting it to. I thought it would be more like my jeep wrangler but was so much better. I did not find the steering as terrible as described nor taxing. Only negative is that I liked it too much and now have to wait until March when I get mine.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
another review saying the bog standard Defender is way cheaper. Can't be bothered to check but I find that unlikely, i.e if you were to spec a Defender to the same level as a 2 seater 'basic' Gren, are they not similar in price? I ran a like for like on my spec Gren and found the Defender was more pricey. Ok not an exact likeness but as close as I could get.
Its certainly not cheaper here on a like for like basis. On paper you may be able to sneak an absolutely base spec Defender slightly cheaper than an absolutely base spec Grenadier, but start to add any options and the Defender very quickly skyrockets past a Grenadier with options.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Did a 5000km trip recently over a couple of weeks, several 10-12 hour days of driving both on road and offroad. I found myself much less tired than I have with some other vehicles, once you are used to the steering it doesn’t overtax you, you may need to put a little more input in than some other cars, but it isn’t taxing, but the great visibility, effortless power, comfortable seats etc more than make up for any slight extra work on the steering.

Back
Top Bottom