The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas TFL Offroad Review of the Grenadier

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
The video was banal at best. Wasted almost an hour and a half watching it. If you already own a Grenadier then don't bother.

I'm not understanding how that can be. I've had OME dampers and they're little more than a shock absorber. Good product but there aren't any springs or self-centering gas chambers in them afaik. They're designed to provide even shock resistance regardless where the wheel is pointed. Is the Grenadier specific model something different?
It's my understanding that people are using the OME for a Toyota so it isn't even Grenadier specific and requires piecing together the proper size hardware to adapt it.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
The video was banal at best. Wasted almost an hour and a half watching it. If you already own a Grenadier then don't bother.

I'm not understanding how that can be. I've had OME dampers and they're little more than a shock absorber. Good product but there aren't any springs or self-centering gas chambers in them afaik. They're designed to provide even shock resistance regardless where the wheel is pointed. Is the Grenadier specific model something different?
I'm guessing the OME has less damping force?
The Grenadier damper resists the steering's natural tendency to return to center. OME less so.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score

I'm just going by what others have said after changing the factory damper over, have a search in the Forum

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi 255/85, Road Master makes a patented return to center exact center steering stabilizer. I spoke to them about 6 months ago and they are willing to support the Grenadier and make a specific one to fit the Grenadier. They first Grenadier owner to take their vehicle to them, will get a free one for allowing them to measure it and design one.
Here's a recent post from @RickTok giving more info and who to contact. Someone with a Grenadier in Washington is needed to volunteer up their vehicle and report back to all or us. DaBull

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
The whole steering debate is almost comical to me at this point. I really don’t notice it and driving through the multitude of interstate construction zones we have the Grenadier actually handles the changing road conditions better than my new Defender did. Much less twitchy at speed for me and the steering doesn’t dart one way or the other. I’ve stopped watching most of the car reviews out there because they’re almost all the same. It all feels like click-bait and most of the time I feel like I’ve wasted 20-30 minutes of my life. I’d much rather watch someone taking their vehicle on an adventure of some sort than trying to find something to complain about.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Enough of this Puritan lash terminology!
It's steering wheel play.
I’m putting this down to the cultural vernacular of our shared language.

+1 for “play”

Out of interest how many miles did they have on their vehicle?

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d much rather watch someone taking their vehicle on an adventure of some sort than trying to find something to complain about.
This, so much. (y) I think it will happen. I predict the nature of the vehicle and first year buyers will lean slightly more offroader than mallcrawler. 🤞

And just think ... if 1% of us share a story or vid or gallery ... we'll have dozens (ha!) of adventures!

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
I didn’t make it through the vid. I’ll admit I watch TFL sometimes but I can’t do 1hr of TFL…a man has to know his limitations 😂😂

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi 255/85, Road Master makes a patented return to center exact center steering stabilizer. I spoke to them about 6 months ago and they are willing to support the Grenadier and make a specific one to fit the Grenadier. They first Grenadier owner to take their vehicle to them, will get a free one for allowing them to measure it and design one.
Here's a recent post from @RickTok giving more info and who to contact. Someone with a Grenadier in Washington is needed to volunteer up their vehicle and report back to all or us. DaBull
@DaBull I drive to Vancouver Wa, once a month so when my Grenadier arrives and no one has made the stop, I will.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I could throw the steering wheel back and forth quickly and see no change in direction (like the video), but were I to move the wheel only a very few degrees, then wait for half a second; it would change direction.
Same. I played with this last night and this morning. I feel like watching the video when he was demonstrating there was a little wiggle to the car. I tried it with mine and it definitely shakes the car if I move it like he did. If I keep it within my lash/play zone that allows rapid oscillating inputs without moving the vehicle, if I stop swinging and hold even the slightest wheel turn the Grenadier goes where I want. I feel it's very point and shoot. You just have to be patient. The delay is the same feature, not a bug, that keeps the truck from ripping your thumbs off being demonstrated in a different way.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
Without getting into the whole steering debate of whether it was designed to be like that, or not, in terms of the radius and return to center, I have a dead spot (like TFL) and it constantly requires adjustment on the highway, when I'm driving to the trail, where it was apparently designed to have an abnormally large turning radius and not return to center so I don't break my thumbs when I'm doing extreme offroading or farming.

Back
Top Bottom