The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tech Specs

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
bestextra said:
Anyone have an idea of the real clearance under the diffs?  The prototypes look quite low slung, and almost certainly not 10.1”/257mm under the diff.

Unfortunately manufacturer-quoted “ground clearance” has been abused to the point of being meaningless:  https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/why-arent-4x4-manufacturers-clear-about-ground-clearance/

I’d be disappointed if Ineos are similarly fudging the numbers.

It is 10.1" - 10.4". I crawled underneath the prototype and measured it..because I felt the same that they 'looked' too low. I also measured the trailing arm and radiator bottom points and they are indeed 10"+. This is with the vehicle on 265/70 R17 (31.5") tires. Slap some 33" on and the clearance numbers will improve even more.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Paachi said:
@PL1 One of the things I missed asking was..if there is bracing on the rear right cargo door to support the weight of larger tires. It would be great if you can ask them that..especially what load (static and dynamic) are the rear wheel carrier and door hinges designed for. Thanks! 

Good luck for tomorrow. You'll enjoy it..we had a good time here drooling over the vehicle in SF

Door loadings were discussed on the prototype demo I went to.  The prototype had doors fitted with an external insert "accessory belt" (type of cargo rail) to accept "attachments" (not defined). We were advised that the design weight for "add ons" is about  110Kg (approx 240lb) per door!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Latest factory figure is 264mm = 10.4"

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Paachi - thanks for measuring under the diff! Unfortunately, "bestextra" is right about some manufacturers using what most of us would regard as bogus ground clearance numbers. I like the Ram Power Wagon a whole lot, but it is listed as having 14 inches of ground clearance, when the rear differential is not even 8.5 inches off the ground. I think most people who drive off-road would argue that the ground clearance on the big Ram is therefore 8.3 inches - not 14.1 (or whatever number they list).

I was hoping to get to the Denver Prototype Tour, but the drive for me is over three hours (one way), and it doesn't look like work will let me spend 6-7 hours in the car this week. Disappointing. I was hoping to take some of those measurements myself. So thanks again for posting your results!

PL1

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
No actual weight has been published but I did ask about the rear doors.  I asked about the weight on the right rear door because I wanted to know if it would support a box containing recovery gear and spare, and Greg said the added weight had been designed into the hinges. I had a thought about the left door with the ladder and if it takes the weight of someone climbing onto the roof, it should be 'bomb-proof', or close to it.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
DenisM said:
Door loadings were discussed on the prototype demo I went to.  The prototype had doors fitted with an external insert "accessory belt" (type of cargo rail) to accept "attachments" (not defined). We were advised that the design weight for "add ons" is about  110Kg (approx 240lb) per door!

@DenisM @PL1 Thank you for checking in on that. thats a good point on the load bearing limits of the L-Tracks on the side doors. I knew that was 110 kilos..so the rear door hopefully has the same spec. I hope thats dynamic weight and not only static weight.

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Some of the footage from the recent TFL videos focused in on the wheels.  Looks like it said 17x7.5 and ET55 (+55mm offset).  Sound right?  Do we know the bolt pattern?  Is it the common 6 on 5.5"/139.7mm pattern?

Coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
d1rty said:
Some of the footage from the recent TFL videos focused in on the wheels.  Looks like it said 17x7.5 and ET55 (+55mm offset).  Sound right?  Do we know the bolt pattern?  Is it the common 6 on 5.5"/139.7mm pattern?
The only thing I’ve heard them say about the bolt pattern is that there will definitely be six.

The Ford Performance 17” desert runner beadlock capable wheels on my F-150 have the following specs:
•Wheel measures 17" x 8.5"
•6-lug, 135mm bolt circle
•34 mm offset
•156.5 mm backspacingIts capable of handling a pretty wide tire. And before anyone says it — yes I know they are different types of vehicles. I’m trying to illustrate that.

Those Grenadier wheels look to be set for running pizza cutters. Which is what I would expect. I have 255/70R18 KO2s on my LR4. I plan to get the 17” wheels. 

When the Grenadier arrives my wife will finally get her hands on my LR4.

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the tall-and-skinny tire look.  7.5" should be good, most tires up to 285 or 295 section width are rated for 7.5" wheels, so even the moderate width fans will be happy.

Just interested in the offset (pretty clearly marked as ET55) and lug pattern for aftermarket possibilities.  My plan is probably steelies and KO2s, run them for a while.  Then maybe look into some aftermarket wheels (Method, FN, ?) and bump up to a 285/75-17 (33.8" tall) in my favorite Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.  Or maybe stick with the steelies.

I just can't wait to get my hands on a Grenadier.  Next summer can't come soon enough.  LOL.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
d1rty said:
I'm a fan of the tall-and-skinny tire look.  7.5" should be good, most tires up to 285 or 295 section width are rated for 7.5" wheels, so even the moderate width fans will be happy.

Just interested in the offset (pretty clearly marked as ET55) and lug pattern for aftermarket possibilities.  My plan is probably steelies and KO2s, run them for a while.  Then maybe look into some aftermarket wheels (Method, FN, ?) and bump up to a 285/75-17 (33.8" tall) in my favorite Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.  Or maybe stick with the steelies.

I just can't wait to get my hands on a Grenadier.  Next summer can't come soon enough.  LOL.
d1rty said:

d1rty said:

Just interested in the offset (pretty clearly marked as ET55) and lug pattern for aftermarket possibilities.  My plan is probably steelies and KO2s, run them for a while.  Then maybe look into some aftermarket wheels (Method, FN, ?) and bump up to a 285/75-17 (33.8" tall) in my favourite Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.  Or maybe stick with the steelies.

Ill keep you posted on my Wheel/tire choice when I get mine (hopefully this autumn)   , as we sound to have a similar idea. I think BRAID wheels would be my 1st choice, as a good mate of mine is a dealer for them. They can make any size and stud pattern you want, are strong as anything, and look great. 
Also in agreement about the narrower profile tires. The Grenadier will suit that more than wide boys imo. 

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
BRAID was not on my radar until now.  Looks like some gorgeous motorsports inspired wheels.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
d1rty said:
BRAID was not on my radar until now.  Looks like some gorgeous motorsports inspired wheels.

They Initially started in motorsport, so are authentic as you can get. Made in Spain, not china like most Bro-dozer wheels these days

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
+1 on that. BRAID and Method are my preferences for after market wheels on 4x4s. BRAID makes a cool 16" DeTomaso Pantera style bronze wheel which I got for my 911. Looks the tits!!

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you'll find the IG compares a little better than the chart suggests.  From the IG brochure it states departure is 36.1 rather than 31.6.  Hoping the fuel capacity is greater than 90l on the production model.

Local time
Reaction score
bakepl said:
I think you'll find the IG compares a little better than the chart suggests.  From the IG brochure it states departure is 36.1 rather than 31.6.  Hoping the fuel capacity is greater than 90l on the production model.

Good to know! I just took a screenshot from the video and posted. Thought it would be helpful, but now it doesn't seem so helpful!

Local time
Reaction score
I wonder about balance when getting taller on pizza cutters though. Another 2” of height with no added width, how will that affect ride, especially if gear on board? For as tall as the IG is, I’m looking to add some height and width with new shoes. I saw a photo recently and the vehicle looks much taller than I expected, so in my mind keeping balance by adding some width will help. End of the day though, our builds are meant to suit each of our individual use profiles. Excited to see what everyone does!
Spjnr said:
Ill keep you posted on my Wheel/tire choice when I get mine (hopefully this autumn)   , as we sound to have a similar idea. I think BRAID wheels would be my 1st choice, as a good mate of mine is a dealer for them. They can make any size and stud pattern you want, are strong as anything, and look great. 
Also in agreement about the narrower profile tires. The Grenadier will suit that more than wide boys imo. 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
Just for your information: Today, I found this

The top speed is capped at 100mph
here.

Don't know where they have it from.  Fast enough for me  - and maybe hacked soon.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's the same as the new jeep Wranglers. I guess there's some sacrifices to be made in getting these solid axle offroaders through modern safety regs. As you say though, anyone who's bothered about going more than that is in the market for the wrong vehicle!

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
From what I read, this is mostly because the overall final drive gearing is quite low. This provides a lot of good low-speed gears for off roading in both high and low ratio, but results in a higher rev range in top gear. And there's been a deliberate (and I think sensible) choice not to mess with the internal ratios of the ZF gearbox. It does, however, imply that at cruising motorway speeds, the revs will be slightly high which will impact noise and fuel consumption adversely.

Dominic

Back
Top Bottom