The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tech Specs

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
PL1 said:
... we weren't quite lost but we didn't know exactly where we were.   ?

That phrase right there describes my favourite kind of trip!

PL1

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
It applies to all the best experiences...  Back country skiing.  Mountain biking.  Sailing.  Everyone has their favorites.  ?

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
...supports Gaia GPS which is an excellent GPS app for off-road travel (far better than any built-in mapping program) and that app does allow storing maps offline. I've used it extensively in my current rig. 

Didn't know about Gaia, thanks for this!

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
That is correct - no cell signal means no live updates. Typically, Apple and Google both seem to "stream" data to your phone for a period of time (i.e. if you have a route that takes you 4 hours away, it likely will have the route "pre-loaded" for a period of time; anecdotally I've seen this work on my iPhone for about 20-30 minutes after losing signal before I hit the edge of the map; I was back into a signal area not long after). So, it's not like a light switch where as soon as signal drops off you are suddenly without navigation as there seems to be some buffering in my experience, and thus the mapping software does seem to compensate for momentary drops in cell signal from time to time. 

I think the cons of a built-in Nav system are far greater than the cons of relying on CarPlay/Android Auto. In my limited experience, built-in nav systems seem to be constantly out of date, and they all seem to be designed with minimal User Experience stuff in mind - for instance they often require very specific syntax (i.e. "1234 50th Ave" gets you to a totally different city than "1234 50th Ave E.", even if there is no 50th Ave W. in the city I'm in!). I also know of quite a few that would require you to put in the name of the city, the zip code, etc. before getting to the address; if I'm nipping across town to an unfamiliar store, why do I need to tell the machine that my intended destination is in the same city using 4-5 clunky menus? An aftermarket standalone device, like the Garmin Nuvi, suffer from this somewhat, but they seem to do a much better job all around than the built ins, but they pale in comparison to my phone in terms of everyday usability.

Of course, it's also always a good idea to have a reliable road atlas on hand - no matter the tech, sometimes it breaks!

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I agree that a built-in nav system is unnecessary, and - overall - I agree with the Grenadier approach. Its much easier to keep a phone up to date and running the mapping software of your choosing. I just wanted to be sure I understood all the ramifications. Thanks again!

Local time
Reaction score
PL1 said:
It applies to all the best experiences...  Back country skiing.  Mountain biking.  Sailing.  Everyone has their favorites.  ?

Agreed! ?

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When I spoke to the company reps yesterday they mentioned that it will be electrically triggered actuators which will engage/ disengage the diffs. I am guessing thats similar to how modern G-Wagens, 4Runners etc., engage their lockers

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I believe the diff maker is from Mexico.  They have a long history of making electronically trigger actuators.  

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
Electronic front and rear diffs!

It’s the first time I’ve seen that stated.

Nice find Stu!

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know the range of the Petrol and the Diesel engines and does the Diesel come with this silly AdBlue nonsense?

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Les Hiddins  Bushguide userid=8850676 postid=1331742706]Does anyone know the range of the Petrol and the Diesel engines and does the Diesel come with this silly AdBlue nonsense?[/QUOTE]

No one currently knows the range of either the petrol or diesel. Yes the diesel requires AdBlue. It is required to meet emissions in most countries (to my knowledge).

Local time
Reaction score
Paachi said:
When I spoke to the company reps yesterday they mentioned that it will be electrically triggered actuators which will engage/ disengage the diffs. I am guessing thats similar to how modern G-Wagens, 4Runners etc., engage their lockers

There are really only 3 options...Electrically operated, like the Eaton 'Detroit E-locker', Air driven, like the ARB 'Air Locker' or mechanical, like the 'OX Locker'...Jeep has been using E-lockers in their TJ, JK and now JL and JT Rubicon variants. They have their pros and cons, but are said to be very reliable!

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Triple Seven userid=8864359 postid=1331747486]

There are really only 3 options...Electrically operated, like the Eaton 'Detroit E-locker', Air driven, like the ARB 'Air Locker' or mechanical, like the 'OX Locker'...Jeep has been using E-lockers in their TJ, JK and now JL and JT Rubicon variants. They have their pros and cons, but are said to be very reliable![/QUOTE]

In addition to Jeep, the other major brands in North America also use e-lockers: Toyota, Ram, Chevy (maybe just the mid-size Chevy trucks?), and Ford. I don't think you can find an air-locker on a factory-built vehicle in the U.S. I've had e-lockers from the factory: some engage quickly, some are a bit finicky. But all tend to be pretty robust. Ram seems to be the most finicky, and slowest to engage. Jeep has gotten much better with the JL. Ford lockers engage immediately.

I've used ARB Air-Lockers, and they are awesome: they engage immediately, and are really strong. Its also great having an air compressor on board (which, of course, you can have even without having air-lockers). The downside of air-lockers is that you have air hoses and a rubber fitting/gasket, and these can degrade over time. If you do not garage your vehicle, and you live somewhere with cold winters and hot summers, you need to stay on top of your hoses and gaskets...

The only 4x4s I know of that have some sort of locker that is not an e-locker manually operated by the driver, is the G-80 that is found in some GMC trucks. The G-80 is not popular among off-roaders I know; manually operated lockers are much preferred. I've heard that some  people prefer the G-80 for rough/slippery conditions on-road, or on dirt roads, but waiting for it to lock-up on its own when you are off-roading is sketchy, at best.

I've never used mechanical lockers. When OX first came out they did not engage well, and they sort of disappeared from the market. They came back around 2005, and now have a good reputation. I think if I were adding lockers to a 4x4 today that I was going to wheel in the rocks I would go with OX. I like mechanical things.

PL1

Local time
Reaction score
I have my 2B prototype viewing session tomorrow and that's one of a long list of questions I plan to ask.  I was going to ask about petrol only because that's the only engine option in Nth America, but I'll ask about diesel too.  On the same general topic - fuel tank size and reasonable highway cruising speed are on the list.
When I'm back online I'll ask the Forum admin the best place to post the answers.

I'm like an excited little kid on Christmas eve.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@PL1 One of the things I missed asking was..if there is bracing on the rear right cargo door to support the weight of larger tires. It would be great if you can ask them that..especially what load (static and dynamic) are the rear wheel carrier and door hinges designed for. Thanks! 

Good luck for tomorrow. You'll enjoy it..we had a good time here drooling over the vehicle in SF

PL1

Local time
Reaction score
Will do...  I was wondering if they were going north or south on I5.  If they were heading south, somewhere warmer, I would have offered to be a co-driver.  ?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
One thing that was stressed by Greg was that if enough people make a request for a certain option they will definitely look into it. 
Pl1, if you could get the details of who we contact that would be great. I forgot when I attended last week. 
If we get enough bums on seats then maybe we can get a cold climate pack etc. 

As for where to post answers for the Q&A that they do. Use this thread and I’ll collate   everything together into a definitive thread after the first round of the tour. 
stu. 

Local time
Reaction score
I would’ve thought that a cold climate package, similar to what Jeep offers, would be a must for North America… Not so much if you live in the southern US, obviously but certainly the northern half of the US and Canada too.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
That’s what I would have assumed. Also in Europe it’s quite common. But they are not offering a heated steering wheel. That was a categorical no. The only way to get one I was told was to get enough interest from the customers. 

I asked why they didn’t offer it and the answer was they wanted to keep it as simple as possible and that developing a heated steering wheel would need some re-engineering and sir Jim preferred to wear gloves when it was cold. I guess he wants his bum warm on the heated Recaros but is happy to have cold hands……

Back
Top Bottom