The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Taking the Front Wheels Off

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
I'm suggesting it's designed that way. When the springs are compressing /decompressing, bump stop plates are actually travelling through an arc. The rubber bump stop is touching the plate off centre for "normal" suspension travel because the arc is shallow.
At the extremes of articulation the bump stop plate travels upwards in an arc and moves closer "inwards" relative to the fixed position of the compressible rubber stop ... At the limit, the plate will have moved far enough "inwards" so that the centre of the plate is now compressing the rubber stop for maximum force path effect...
Excellent explanation ~ that makes sense now. It must be less of a hard bump stop than on old Defenders. 👍

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is the left side in the picture the front?
Yes
Then it could be because the axle moves on a radius (hold by a radius arms). So when the axle moves up (or down) it will move backwards at the same time. That would move the bump stop more to the center.
👍

Local time
Reaction score
I am thinking that has to be the charge air cooler for the turbo(s) on the RH side, and then the oil cooler is integrated in to the main radiator? Or, RH is charge air, LH is oil, and t-case integrated into the main radiator?

There has to be a charge air cooler for the turbo(s), correct? And the fittings on the LH cooler look like trans cooler lines. Also, standard practice is to have trans or oil cooling built into the main radiator.
The charge or “ intercooler” is in the intake manifold.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Typical B58 engines have a separate coolant circuit and reservoir for the intercooler as they're a water to air design. There's a small radiator inside the intake manifold.

Some BMWs use an oil cooler radiator on the lower left of the main radiator.

What supplies pressure to the transfer case cooler lines running all the way to the front of the vehicle? Is there a substantial or upgraded internal pump inside it now?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exhaust gas recirculation cooler is now top of my guess list - but not a clue as to whether it's the low pressure or high pressure one!

FilipV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
i'm looking at all the cabling and tubing to the brakecaliper s.. they connect from the frontside of the wheel... why ? bushes could pull these away and damage these easier than if they were positioned on the backside of the brakecaliper ? or i'm looking perhaps too far, if the long testing of the grenadier didn't point a problem out, it is probably fine.... I checked on my old 300tdi defender - no ABS version - and all brakelines are to the back of the car on the calipers... . So driving over bushes and branches , will hit first the brakecaliper, but not directly impact on the brakelines.
Also on the underside of the Grenadier, there seems to be some cabling is a bit more exposed than i anticipated ...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVgK_Tba508
8:45 .. i checked underneath my ow car, and fixed some of it with tiewraps... also found some other cabling that easily could have mounted higher up in the ladder chassis for extra protection. all the cabling is already higher that the ground clearance , but bushes and vegetation could spring up when driving over it and perhaps rip off cabling ?.. Some aftermarket extra protection could be usefull for this scenario.

Last edited:

Dougn

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
From the picture in DCPU's post 16 in this thread, it looks as though the front drive swivels are double carden joints and not constant velocity joints as I'd expected.
The steering stops will be set conservatively by Ineos at a point where the angular velocity changes* from the double carden set up will not intrude to the steering feel at the wheel. that means there should be some slack for adjustment to improve the turning circle. the stops are 12x1.5mm bolts (19mm head) so one rev (6 flats) inwards will allow a couple of degrees greater angle improvement for the wheel. being too enthusiastic will make the angular velocity changes noticeable at the steering wheel at full or near full lock & result in transmission damage if left. Mild adjustment should have no bad consequences.
* Who recals the steering shake on Series in 4wd and full lock? that was single carden velocity change.
Does the double carden have zero velocity change with angle?

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the double carden have zero velocity change with angle?
Not quite, but the effects of the changes are considerably reduced. With the masses & weights involved the old Series effect on the steering wheel should totally disappear. And this being a heavy duty design, the varying loads on the spiders I expect to be insignificant.

Dougn

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
Reactions: PBD

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
I swear in the 6th pic down it looks like the sway bar is missing the bush in the background
Which begs the question, can you remove the IG sway bars for greater wheel travel?

I did this with all my 90’s LR’s, plus updated springs for the intended loads. Literally no downside for my use and they drove/handled wonderfully.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
I swear in the 6th pic down it looks like the sway bar is missing the bush in the background
That end of the sway bar is hidden behind itself as it bends away toward the bush. The point at which we see the bar and bush meet is in reality not meeting at all, there's another foot of sway bar to go before it enters the bush.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Why remove the sway bar for more wheel travel while having three diff locks?
Be aware that removing the rear bar has an effect on the front axle and steering. It leads to oversteering due to more load on the outer front wheel while turning and vice versa. Removing the front bar could leed to understeering due to reduced load. Depending on if the Grenadier has toe-in or toe-out the effect will vary.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Is there enough space between the steering arm moving the rod and the underbody protection plate? If it gets a hit, could it be possible that it bends up and blocks the steering or would it be still free to move?

AWo

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And you are all getting up tight about wheel travel & understeer, bushes& sway bars...... Must be left hand drive.
Us poor sods with right hand drive have the entire steering damper exposed below the bash plate! And it makes the steering "clunk" as it rotates the drag link.
That needs sorting before any serious off-road stuff. What cost a new link & damper?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
Why remove the sway bar for more wheel travel while having three diff locks?
Be aware that removing the rear bar has an effect on the front axle and steering. It leads to oversteering due to more load on the outer front wheel while turning and vice versa. Removing the front bar could leed to understeering due to reduced load. Depending on if the Grenadier has toe-in or toe-out the effect will vary.

AWo
Three lockers is a good point. Also, I have not inspected the suspension in person, so I am curious. The early Range Rover did not have sway bars, they were added later. So RRC’s and D1’s responded well to sway bar removal, safe consistent ride, increased wheel travel but naturally more body sway.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
From the picture in DCPU's post 16 in this thread, it looks as though the front drive swivels are double carden joints and not constant velocity joints as I'd expected.
The steering stops will be set conservatively by Ineos at a point where the angular velocity changes* from the double carden set up will not intrude to the steering feel at the wheel. that means there should be some slack for adjustment to improve the turning circle. the stops are 12x1.5mm bolts (19mm head) so one rev (6 flats) inwards will allow a couple of degrees greater angle improvement for the wheel. being too enthusiastic will make the angular velocity changes noticeable at the steering wheel at full or near full lock & result in transmission damage if left. Mild adjustment should have no bad consequences.
* Who recals the steering shake on Series in 4wd and full lock? that was single carden velocity change.
This explains what I had noticed when I drove out from my driveway: it was a bit close so to avoid a 3-point turn, I pulled the steering wheel all the way to the lock and felt the shaking steering wheel. This happened at very low maneuvering speed.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
believe the B58 uses coolant for all cooling duties. I don't think there is oil circulating to the small right side radiator therefore water pump pressure levels only.
This makes sense in that I remember a high pressure coolant tank and a low pressure coolant tank in the engine bay. Now, this sounds a bit clearer to me.

Back
Top Bottom