The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sticking door handle button?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
How often do you have to re-apply? My front doors seems to be freeing up with use. But the rear back door which faces the prevailing wind and rain is becoming irksome. Yes I know 😌 I'm now parking it the other way round.
Early days for me with around six months use. Front doors used regularly but rear doors less so. I am hoping that with plenty of silicone or graphite lube, and regular use of doors, the situation will improve and no mod's from the dealership required.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rear door and drivers door are becoming increasingly difficult to use which doesn’t bode well long term so the agent (who has been excellent) is in the process of applying a fix to all five doors which seems to involve a spacer. Two days OTR to fettle and sort out a couple of other issues. Still drives and tows well and attracts attention. Just needs the various niggles sorting out.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Early days for me with around six months use. Front doors used regularly but rear doors less so. I am hoping that with plenty of silicone or graphite lube, and regular use of doors, the situation will improve and no mod's from the dealership required.
Was at my dealer yesterday ( for an unrelated matter) and i mentioned the sticking door buttons. Ah, off he went for graphite spray. We've found it works and everytime one come in for anything we redo it as practice now. I'll just have to see.

Addendum - also mentioned the Ineos fix to put the 2 missing pins and wire bypass in the UK 13 pin plug was in hand, what ever timescale that means

Last edited:

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Come on folks you do have to agree that this whole situation is just plain ridiculous especially on a brand new car this must be a design flaw! I have owned dozens of cars since 1976 and I have never had to lubricate a door handle for it to work properly! I have thought the years lubricated the door hinges which I thank would be common after years of use.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Come on folks you do have to agree that this whole situation is just plain ridiculous especially on a brand new car this must be a design flaw! I have owned dozens of cars since 1976 and I have never had to lubricate a door handle for it to work properly! I have thought the years lubricated the door hinges which I thank would be common after years of use.
Yes, everything you say is correct. But there is currently no better solution. Placing an O-ring underneath, as INEOS passed on to the dealers, does not bring lasting success. So there is nothing else to do for the time being.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, everything you say is correct. But there is currently no better solution. Placing an O-ring underneath, as INEOS passed on to the dealers, does not bring lasting success. So there is nothing else to do for the time being.
Apparently Ineos are working "on it"

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Intermediate upgrade undertaken on all the door buttons , with the additional washers 4 of the 5 have been successful, front passenger door now only opens from the inside !!!! back in to Jadeines 5th MARCH !! AND 4 OTHER CAMPAINS TO UNDERTAKE

any ideas what they are

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Intermediate upgrade undertaken on all the door buttons , with the additional washers 4 of the 5 have been successful, front passenger door now only opens from the inside !!!! back in to Jadeines 5th MARCH !! AND 4 OTHER CAMPAINS TO UNDERTAKE

any ideas what they are
Never mind the wave.
This will be the true sign of a Grenadier owner- a twitchy thumb and middle finger 🖕 from teasing the door button back out

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
I discovered that the main "problem" with the rear (cargo) door button was not the button, but the Bowden cable and actuators which "grab" the metal 'loops' to effect closure. A short squirt of actuators with PTFE dry lubricant and a smear of white grease on the 'loops' ... the opening action became smooth and almost effortless. So I extended that to the other 4 doors... world of difference

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This known issue was a problem for me the first time today…sticky rear passenger door button. So…looks like no permanent resolution yet?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This known issue was a problem for me the first time today…sticky rear passenger door button. So…looks like no permanent resolution yet?
My permanent solution is to regularly lubricate the lock mechanisms... standard inclusion on the service list of most makes and models
The initial lube may have been missed during assembly and/or pre-delivery.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I discovered that the main "problem" with the rear (cargo) door button was not the button, but the Bowden cable and actuators which "grab" the metal 'loops' to effect closure. A short squirt of actuators with PTFE dry lubricant and a smear of white grease on the 'loops' ... the opening action became smooth and almost effortless. So I extended that to the other 4 doors... world of difference
Hmm… heading out to the garage to try this now.

edit: meh, mine at least has a deeper issue. Without disassembling the locking mechanism it appears to be to do with the arc/range of motion of the gate itself.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmm… heading out to the garage to try this now.

edit: meh, mine at least has a deeper issue. Without disassembling the locking mechanism it appears to be to do with the arc/range of motion of the gate itself.
I've decided to stop biting my nails, grow longer finger nails to make grabbing the sticking button easier.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Is it possible that it's not the button that sticks, but the latch that the button actuates? I sprayed copious amounts of silicone lube into the button recesses to no avail. Started lubing the latches. Will see if that works.

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
Does the latch stick when the door is open?
Is there a way to hold the latch mechanism on the door such that is is in the open position the try the button?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Does the latch stick when the door is open?
Is there a way to hold the latch mechanism on the door such that is is in the open position the try the button?
I noticed the latch sticking when the button was stuck, hence, my theory that it's the latch, not the button.

Back
Top Bottom