The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering clunk on RHD petrol Trialmaster

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Ours started with this at about 3000 miles - dropped at dealer yesterday for software update, oil change and list of other snagging at 5900. Dealer said they hadn’t seen the steering clunk yet but agreed it is not normal.

Hopefully they can sort it and sort the wheel alignment without damaging the saddle leather wheel!
1 week update.... Software update complete, steering clunk repair still awaiting authorisation from Ineos, oil change not yet done and the loaned Nissan Qashqui (complete with 1.3 litre lawn mower engine) doesn't have 4wd or a tow bar so is as much use as a chocolate tea pot for our use case. No word on when the car will be complete but patience is wearing thin. While the dealer is doing everything they can to help, I was rather hoping Ineos themselves hadn't copied this particular page from the Land Rover playbook. 🤦‍♂️

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
1 week update.... Software update complete, steering clunk repair still awaiting authorisation from Ineos, oil change not yet done and the loaned Nissan Qashqui (complete with 1.3 litre lawn mower engine) doesn't have 4wd or a tow bar so is as much use as a chocolate tea pot for our use case. No word on when the car will be complete but patience is wearing thin. While the dealer is doing everything they can to help, I was rather hoping Ineos themselves hadn't copied this particular page from the Land Rover playbook. 🤦‍♂️
Bugger - hope this is sorted asap for you. The kicker is the Nissan loaner... something you would expect from a budget car rental when you do not care about personal safety in the sardine can!

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
still awaiting authorisation from Ineos, oil change not yet done and the loaned Nissan Qashqui (complete with 1.3 litre lawn mower engine) doesn't have 4wd or a tow bar so is as much use as a chocolate tea pot for our use case.
Sit rep: Steering part authorised on Tuesday with 48 hour dispatch time. Now overdue and no sign of parts. Oil and filter change will set us back £197.12 (random number, I know) and the without wishing to sound ungrateful, the Nissan loaner is a bit of a chore.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Sit rep: Steering part authorised on Tuesday with 48 hour dispatch time. Now overdue and no sign of parts. Oil and filter change will set us back £197.12 (random number, I know) and the without wishing to sound ungrateful, the Nissan loaner is a bit of a chore.
That's to have the service completed, correct? Seems a bit steep for an oil change.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those who care: 2 weeks and two days, software update complete, drop link recall complete, first oil change at 5900 miles and upper steering column replaced. 35 miles back to the yard from the dealer and a smile from ear to ear.

Owain

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is in for software update and other warranty works including steering clunk. The dealership say that the clunk is just a characteristic of the early models of car and nothing needs doing as advised by ineos. Apparently newer cars don’t have this. This just doesn’t sound right does it? Surely a 6 month old car shouldn’t make clunk noises every time you turn the steering wheel whilst travelling at slow speed. Has anyone else had this advice? What has changed between the early models and current ones to stop it clunking?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Once rented a 3-door, slushbox Toyota Yaris that would give anything deemed slow a run for its money.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Once rented a 3-door, slushbox Toyota Yaris that would give anything deemed slow a run for its money.
Challenge accepted: I had a 1979 Mercedes 200D W123 automatic with 450tkm on the clock - setting off on an incline took all of its might!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the steering clunk now. Bl00dy annoying. Wonder if it's the upper steering column as mentioned above. Will discuss with the agent.

Owain

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have exactly this on my car.
@rovie sorry I started a new thread elsewhere.

Did you get this fully fixed Owain?
Yes, so the dealer initially said it was just a quirk of the early cars and nothing can be done (this is supposedly what ineos have told dealers). I asked them to look at again as I couldn’t accept that in a new car the steering just clunks for no reason. They then adjusted the tension on upper cv joint in the steering column and lo and behold, the problem is fully resolved. Hopefully yours will be the same

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have exactly this on my car.
@rovie sorry I started a new thread elsewhere.

Did you get this fully fixed Owain?
No, I don't recognise that sound. It sounds like a thud. Maybe it's the same as with @Owain . You can't leave it like that. I think the workshop must be able to localise and rectify this.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, so the dealer initially said it was just a quirk of the early cars and nothing can be done (this is supposedly what ineos have told dealers). I asked them to look at again as I couldn’t accept that in a new car the steering just clunks for no reason. They then adjusted the tension on upper cv joint in the steering column and lo and behold, the problem is fully resolved. Hopefully yours will be the same
tks Owain. agree, a clunk with steering means something is not right and should be fixed. The dealer/ineos saying that it's a 'quirk' is outright bsh1t. It's like saying yeah the bearings always give a lot of play and heat - it's just a quirk!

Shall investigate further.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I started hearing this sound today ... I have driven about 8000 km.
Ineos - steering wheel clunk
Good video, if bad problem.

I had exactly same on both left and right turns. For some reason it has resolved itself. Mine manifested after some rather heavy off-roading, then 3-4 weeks after it disappeared. I am taking the Grenb to the agent next month and have asked them to investigate.

JRD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi, after 500 miles in my Fieldmaster, I noticed a clucking sound between the right front wheel well and the steering wheel (US). It does not appear on highway driving, but side road, lower speed. Sometimes when turning or shortly after.
Intermittent, but more apparent. Curious if this sounds familiar.

Last edited:

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds pretty much like mine which started very early and was the middle universal joint in the steering column. Replaced by agents at Skipton ➔ cured! Hope that helps.

Reactions: JRD

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This component was the cause of clunking on my vehicle. It was rectified at one of the dealers in Southern Africa but I don’t know what they did. IMG_1938.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom