The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering clunk on RHD petrol Trialmaster

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
I have a clunk coming from the drivers side (uk) coil spring I think. When I go off roading, on uneven ground, I can hear the front coil spring clunk only on articulation. It’s only from front driver side. Another thing saved onto the snagging list.

Gruntly

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t see any other reference to a palpable but inaudible clunk when turning the steering wheel (except I announced it in the Infotainment thread).
Most surprised that no one else has mentioned it.
From an occasional clunk on a bendy road to twelve consecutive clunks in 20 metres doing a full lock left, full lock right manoeuvre.
Found the cause today. Up on the ramp…
Sadly videos too large to upload
What we saw was the drag link suddenly rotating sometimes 15° sometimes 30° depending on the steering force applied, resisted as it is by the steering damper.
As the mobile end of the damper is attached to a bracket on the underside of the drag link (on mine at least and NOT on at least one LHD unit) a linear rotational force is applied to the dragline as the steering is varied. If sufficient, it will cause a relatively sudden rotation-and-stop rotary movement, of variable angle as described above.

Totally safe, quite irritating, rather sad it should be there, and possibly curable by relocating the bracket to the rear of the drag link as per LHD units. At first glance this might need a slightly modified drag link shape to avoid contact between the damper and the front on diff casing.

But at least I know it’s safe and still wonder if an anyone else notices the clunk.
(I will try to shrink the two 29Mb video files and post. No idea how to do that on an iPhone… 🤨)
Have not had the issue on my petrol RHD Ttrialmaster and now at about 6000km.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
As a non-apple man without an account I can neither watch nor download it.

Owain

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Does it come from the inside or outside?

If it comes from the outside this noise can come from the rubber bushes the axle is mounted with (trailing arm, steering rod, track rod, etc.) under tension.

AWo

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

If it comes from the outside this noise can come from the rubber bushes the axle is mounted with (trailing arm, steering rod, track rod, etc.) under tension.

AWo
Mine seems to come from around my right knee within the dashboard - I can get up to 12 clunks in a 5-point turn, and in a unidirectional turn series there is an alternating tonality - like the tick tock of a clock it could be “clunk-clonk”. All of which leads me to think first of the UJ in the steering shaft. It is certainly out of sync with any naughty behaviour of the drag link/damper dysfunction.

Owain

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine seems to come from around my right knee within the dashboard - I can get up to 12 clunks in a 5-point turn, and in a unidirectional turn series there is an alternating tonality - like the tick tock of a clock it could be “clunk-clonk”. All of which leads me to think first of the UJ in the steering shaft. It is certainly out of sync with any naughty behaviour of the drag link/damper dysfunction.
I’d say mine is very similar. Definitely to the right of the car and only at speeds below about 15mph. Turning through to full right hand lock, there is a clunk after each rotation of the steering wheel but it’s not always repeatable.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine seems to come from around my right knee within the dashboard - I can get up to 12 clunks in a 5-point turn, and in a unidirectional turn series there is an alternating tonality - like the tick tock of a clock it could be “clunk-clonk”. All of which leads me to think first of the UJ in the steering shaft.
There's a second UJ in the steering column immediately behind the bulkhead, difficult to see with the airbox in:

Post in thread 'Steering Column Universal Joint Rubber Boot' https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...al-joint-rubber-boot.12412220/post-1333187406

amglounge

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Since two weeks (started at 3500 km) I also experience a crackling sound when turning the steering wheel. It‘s audible in both directions. It also occurs several times in a row. The 6 weeks before there wasn‘t any sound. I take it to the dealer next week to find out where it comes from

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AWo
Sorted at last!
New steering column internals; replaced items were a stiff ball race and the column from steering wheel to steering box. The UJ was stiff and notchy on one axis and free on the other.
The car is transformed. Classy looking component - made in Korea.
Having the software upgrades three weeks ago and the steering this week is like having a new car again. And again! 😉

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
Track rod hitting the Steering rod due to the play in the ball joints, taking it back to the dealers to be looked at. Highly suspect it is common a cross the right hand drive vehicles.

Attachments

• 1c7508af-c842-4381-9774-be87f1c25d14.MP4
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 42

amglounge

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Since two weeks (started at 3500 km) I also experience a crackling sound when turning the steering wheel. It‘s audible in both directions. It also occurs several times in a row. The 6 weeks before there wasn‘t any sound. I take it to the dealer next week to find out where it comes from
When I described the problem to the dealer and demonstrated the origin of the noise when steering, I got the answer that it was normal.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
When I described the problem to the dealer and demonstrated the origin of the noise when steering, I got the answer that it was normal.
Getting a good dealer is going to be soooo important. Same with most marques I guess but even more so with a new manufacturer.

Poor old @Jean Mercier is living testimony to that.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has now developed the same chunk. Sounds like its coming from the bulkhead area.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has now developed the same chunk. Sounds like it’s coming from the bulkhead area.
Ours started with this at about 3000 miles - dropped at dealer yesterday for software update, oil change and list of other snagging at 5900. Dealer said they hadn’t seen the steering clunk yet but agreed it is not normal.

Hopefully they can sort it and sort the wheel alignment without damaging the saddle leather wheel!

Back
Top Bottom