The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Start / Stop

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way to completely disable the engine Start / Stop. Has caught me extremely off guard a couple of times now one of which was quite dangerous. Know i should remember to switch the button each time i get in, but feels unnecessary.

Has any one asked Ineos or a Dealer if functionality is coming (hopefully via software update) that will allow this to be permanently disabled? Or maybe its a rubbish eco law thing

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Mine is just not working even if I want it to work. But this doesn’t give you an answer on your question.
I don’t think you will be able to disable it permanent

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
maybe its a rubbish eco law thing
Yes, it is.

What you need is a hack. Somewhere in the forum there was a mentioning on an arduino-like 'tuning'. A tiny module which takes over to "press" the start/stop button upon start. But this hack was for a different car but might work for the Grenadier as well. 🤷‍♂️

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
Try a 3 point turn with it on .
I also find it easy to live with, but it may be triggered differently. I dont have it stopping during a 3 point turn, so yours may be calibrated over sensitively. I do find theres some abiliity to control it with the way i work the brake foot; if you dont need it then keeping some movement on the pedal, usually slow release after stopping the vehicle will delay it. Its not something im having to think about, but realised i do (not first car with it).
slight delay on take off I do like, as a reminder to let other people roar away - 3 tonnes and patience are good partners!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I also find it easy to live with, but it may be triggered differently. I dont have it stopping during a 3 point turn, so yours may be calibrated over sensitively. I do find theres some abiliity to control it with the way i work the brake foot; if you dont need it then keeping some movement on the pedal, usually slow release after stopping the vehicle will delay it. Its not something im having to think about, but realised i do (not first car with it).
slight delay on take off I do like, as a reminder to let other people roar away - 3 tonnes and patience are good partners!
yesterday a guy pulled up next to me at the lights in a large 4WD with bull bar and all the gear.
About 50 metres across the lights the lanes went from 2 into 1 so he decided to race me off the lights.
He dropped the clutch, stalled, the 4WD behind him ran up his arse.
I drove slowly across the intersection whilst laughing.
I would have let him in if he just asked.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is just not working even if I want it to work. But this doesn’t give you an answer on your question.
I don’t think you will be able to disable it permanent
Don't forget that the a/c working usually doesn't allow turning off the engine or, if allowed, in few second it will restart.
When I'm in 'economy run challenge', approaching a traffic light, I turn off the a/c. As soon as I stop, the engine turns off and when I start again I turn the a/c back on... I must admit that implementing all the low consumption strategies is having a lot of fun... A quick and temporary switch to manual mode is very useful to shift a gear up with a significant drop in rpm. If it is excessive, the transmission does not allow it. .. Very funny for me... :D

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yesterday a guy pulled up next to me at the lights in a large 4WD with bull bar and all the gear.
About 50 metres across the lights the lanes went from 2 into 1 so he decided to race me off the lights.
He dropped the clutch, stalled, the 4WD behind him ran up his arse.
I drove slowly across the intersection whilst laughing.
I would have let him in if he just asked.
It seems to happen all the time doesnt it. Amazing how aggressively many of these big utes and 4wds are driven, and as if they were sports cars. Whe im on the pushbike you really notice that young tradies in particular seem to have it in for anything that moves… maybe its mostly Sydney, the traffic here is a bit tightly wound.
happy to mostly move the grenadier majestically around, you dont need a lot of ‘loud pedal’ to get anywhere in this thing😉

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way to completely disable the engine Start / Stop. Has caught me extremely off guard a couple of times now one of which was quite dangerous. Know i should remember to switch the button each time i get in, but feels unnecessary.

Has any one asked Ineos or a Dealer if functionality is coming (hopefully via software update) that will allow this to be permanently disabled? Or maybe its a rubbish eco law thing
It won’t be coming from INEOS it is part of their fuel consumption obligations like all new manufacturers. It is does come it will be an aftermarket thing. I do find occasionally if you are waiting to turn across traffic for example and you get a gap and want to go quickly just as it decided to activate it can be a problem, mostly it doesn’t bother me and it’s easy to turn off with the button

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Start/Stop is a most worthless item that I hope to have deactivated as soon as possible upon taking possession of my Grenadier.
like emax and others have said, there is a reason/regs, so all the companies have to make it set itself on every time.
maybe someone will build a little computer you can add to do it for you. My dad likes to be angry at it; ive never liked being cranky all the time, I suppose its a choice how to deal with stuff we, and Ineos cant control.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
like emax and others have said, there is a reason/regs, so all the companies have to make it set itself on every time.
maybe someone will build a little computer you can add to do it for you. My dad likes to be angry at it; ive never liked being cranky all the time, I suppose its a choice how to deal with stuff we, and Ineos cant control.
Might be a European requirement as many vehicles in the USA without it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Start/Stop is a most worthless item that I hope to have deactivated as soon as possible upon taking possession of my Grenadier.
I have said it before on here but for the newcomers.
As soon as I get in my Mercedes and start the engine I hit the sport button on the gearbox, turn off the stop start and then hit the adaptive suspension button.
Don't even have to think about it.
However those three buttons are showing some wear.
My wife gets into her Mini Cooper and as soon as she starts she hits the toggle up to sport and the next toggle to disable the stop start.
Again just a memory sequence.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
I have said it before on here but for the newcomers.
As soon as I get in my Mercedes and start the engine I hit the sport button on the gearbox, turn off the stop start and then hit the adaptive suspension button.
Don't even have to think about it.
However those three buttons are showing some wear.
My wife gets into her Mini Cooper and as soon as she starts she hits the toggle up to sport and the next toggle to disable the stop start.
Again just a memory sequence.
Pretty sure we all know how a Start/Stop system works. Still, annoying as heck to say the least. Some do not mind and some of us do. And that is ok.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might be a European requirement as many vehicles in the USA without it.
Yeah; definitely part of Euro6 diesel spec.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty sure we all know how a Start/Stop system works. Still, annoying as heck to say the least. Some do not mind and some of us do. And that is ok.
I was pointing out the stupidity of having to go through that everytime we get in and that we don't even have to think about it anymore.
I think stop start is a stupid and potentially dangerous system.
4 years ago I pulled up in a line of traffic on the motorway, between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, on the way home from work late one afternoon and looked in the rear view mirror to check the car behind me was stopping.
As I always do.
I could see the driver in the white van was not slowing and was probably still doing 100 KMH.
I hit the accelerator, pulled onto the shoulder and took off.
He slammed into the back of the car that was in front of me.
Stop start may have only slowed me down by 1-2 seconds, if it had been active, but that could have made all the difference.
That ended up being a three car crash with van driver and one other killed.
It's also a reminder why you should stop a reasonable distance back from the vehicle in front, gives you room to maneuver.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't forget that the a/c working usually doesn't allow turning off the engine or, if allowed, in few second it will restart.
When I'm in 'economy run challenge', approaching a traffic light, I turn off the a/c. As soon as I stop, the engine turns off and when I start again I turn the a/c back on... I must admit that implementing all the low consumption strategies is having a lot of fun... A quick and temporary switch to manual mode is very useful to shift a gear up with a significant drop in rpm. If it is excessive, the transmission does not allow it. .. Very funny for me... :D
Nah, even with all consumers off. Battery above 95%, pushing and holding the brake pedal hard or soft …. Nothing….. But well. Actually it doesn’t really matter.

Back
Top Bottom