The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Start / Stop

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
I was pointing out the stupidity of having to go through that everytime we get in and that we don't even have to think about it anymore.
I think stop start is a stupid and potentially dangerous system.
4 years ago I pulled up in a line of traffic on the motorway, between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, on the way home from work late one afternoon and looked in the rear view mirror to check the car behind me was stopping.
As I always do.
I could see the driver in the white van was not slowing and was probably still doing 100 KMH.
I hit the accelerator, pulled onto the shoulder and took off.
He slammed into the back of the car that was in front of me.
Stop start may have only slowed me down by 1-2 seconds, if it had been active, but that could have made all the difference.
That ended up being a three car crash with van driver and one other killed.
It's also a reminder why you should stop a reasonable distance back from the vehicle in front, gives you room to maneuver.
Very good point about looking in the mirror when coming to a stop. My wife does not understand that concept at all.
On the start stop issue - a good friend purchase a Mercedes sedan a few years back and it had the start stop feature. He told me he finally figured out that there was a device near the door (believe that is where it was) that would disable the stop function when stopping. Shortly thereafter he goes to a trade show, parks his car out front, and walks around the show for 6-8 hours. Goes back to his car and the engine is running. He forgot that he had disabled the stop function on it.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
I would think that in time, something like a GAP programming tool (used on many JLR vehicles) will become available to change factory settings/options. Typically things like auto start/stop is as easy as moving a toggle to “off” in the programming menu. I know for the ND DIY programing has become more readily available with the GAP tool.

Other things I like to turn off are the seat belt chimes because sometimes I prefer not to have my seatbelt on off-road 😜

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
I would think that in time, something like a GAP programming tool (used on many JLR vehicles) will become available to change factory settings/options. Typically things like auto start/stop is as easy as moving a toggle to “off” in the programming menu. I know for the ND DIY programing has become more readily available with the GAP tool.

Other things I like to turn off are the seat belt chimes because sometimes I prefer not to have my seatbelt on off-road 😜
When you activate the Off Road mode, the chimes of the seat belt is muted. That’s already taken care off.

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
As above the GAP tool is available for the new Defender and you can do things like asking the vehicle to remember the position of the start/stop button.
So it doesn't default to "on" every time you start the engine.

I imagine it will be available for the Grenadier in due course.

tomc

Production/Transit
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
Any idea if the old jumper wire on the back of the auto start/stop switch with work without causing any issues? It basically tricks the switch into thinking it’s always pressed and therefore eliminating the need to remember to press it each time you drive it. I’ve had success with this method on an F150 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s also easily removable to avoid warranty issues. Tried pressing and holding the button for a few minutes on a demo I drove a few weeks ago and it seemed to work fine.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea if the old jumper wire on the back of the auto start/stop switch with work without causing any issues? It basically tricks the switch into thinking it’s always pressed and therefore eliminating the need to remember to press it each time you drive it. I’ve had success with this method on an F150 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s also easily removable to avoid warranty issues. Tried pressing and holding the button for a few minutes on a demo I drove a few weeks ago and it seemed to work fine.
Let me know if that works cause I sure would like to disable it!

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t tried that but I don’t think it’ll work. If you’ve pressed the start/stop and then switch off the ignition for a short time, like going into a shop, and come back to the vehicle the button stays illuminated. Leave it overnight and it’s not illuminated, it may work off a pulse signal, needs confirming though.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On my BMW I can turn off the start stop and it stays off. Is that not how it works in the Gren? As for the 3 point turn I believe if you change gears more than 2 times it will disable the start stop.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are we certain US spec Grens come equipped with start-stop?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way to completely disable the engine Start / Stop. Has caught me extremely off guard a couple of times now one of which was quite dangerous. Know i should remember to switch the button each time i get in, but feels unnecessary.

Has any one asked Ineos or a Dealer if functionality is coming (hopefully via software update) that will allow this to be permanently disabled? Or maybe its a rubbish eco law thing
I have nearly been killed a few times by various vehicles with stop start functions. The worst part with the diesel Gren is there is an added .4 seconds before you even move off the line as there is a small lag inherent with the engine preparing to move this big of a vehicle from still. It's the 2nd thing I do starting my vehicle - 1. Ignition 2. Press that stop start button!!

If they ever give us Aussie software that disables it I would be permanently disabling stop function.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t tried that but I don’t think it’ll work. If you’ve pressed the start/stop and then switch off the ignition for a short time, like going into a shop, and come back to the vehicle the button stays illuminated. Leave it overnight and it’s not illuminated, it may work off a pulse signal, needs confirming though.
Okay, so I went out this morning having left the start/stop “off” last night and when I started the car it was still showing “off”. I’ll watch what’s happens for a few days and report back.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
I don’t inherently hate start stop if it is well executed. However I have had a couple of occasions where it has turned iff in situations where you need a quick acceleration and it can be inconvenient to dangerous in those situations and it isn’t quick to get going and with the diesel turbo lag it’s actually quite a long time if you need power in a hurry. It’s probably fine if you are just stopping at a traffic light but if you are waiting to turn across traffic etc its not good. However it’s not a major issue for me as I have just gotten in the habit of turning it off straight away.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Okay, so I went out this morning having left the start/stop “off” last night and when I started the car it was still showing “off”. I’ll watch what’s happens for a few days and report back.
As far as my vehicle is concerned the start / stop disable system seems to have no consistency to how it works !
The software is getting updated tomorrow so time will tell if that makes any difference.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the software update last week. The start / stop disable now has to be pressed each time the vehicle is started.

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the software update last week. The start / stop disable now has to be pressed each time the vehicle is started.
It did or was supposed to, before. Maybe yours just works better as intended than it did before.

Local time
Reaction score
Its too sensitive try a 3 point turn even BMW have speed up the bearings to cope wit heheh extra wear if you read the B58 manual so it can't be good for the engine.

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Don't forget that the a/c working usually doesn't allow turning off the engine or, if allowed, in few second it will restart.
When I'm in 'economy run challenge', approaching a traffic light, I turn off the a/c. As soon as I stop, the engine turns off and when I start again I turn the a/c back on... I must admit that implementing all the low consumption strategies is having a lot of fun... A quick and temporary switch to manual mode is very useful to shift a gear up with a significant drop in rpm. If it is excessive, the transmission does not allow it. .. Very funny for me... :D
It may be that it also has zero effect - restart takes a massive amount of energy - extra large battery ( more weight and cost ) - heavy duty starter motor - much more electronic complexity - those systems are not easy to implement - ever started a defender it takes a while - the jury is out other than some committee recommendation that there is any long term benefit - Check John Cadogan's take on start stop

Reactions: PBD

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way to completely disable the engine Start / Stop. Has caught me extremely off guard a couple of times now one of which was quite dangerous. Know i should remember to switch the button each time i get in, but feels unnecessary.

Has any one asked Ineos or a Dealer if functionality is coming (hopefully via software update) that will allow this to be permanently disabled? Or maybe its a rubbish eco law thing
All cars are fitted with the system to comply with regulations. First action after starting is always to disable it.

There maybe coding eventually that you can disable it, but agents will not be able to by law.

Have to say I am very lucky, as on my car the system is always disabled - yippee!

Back
Top Bottom