The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Speedo accuracy

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi Forum members,

I am running on 17” alloys and there is a 5% difference between the Speedo reading and reality.

So, when the speedo reads 62mph, the actual speed is 59mph. I have checked this with Waze and I also have a Speedo app on my phone. Waze is visible on this photo.

Other vehicles that I have had such as an SL Mercedes was only out by about 1mph at 60mph.

In these days, is 5% considered to be acceptable?

Thanks in anticipation!

IMG_9283.jpeg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
I imagine that the difference is not because of faulty equipment but rather purposefully done to err on the side of caution. Total speculation, of course, but I think that makes sense.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Forum members,

I am running on 17” alloys and there is a 5% difference between the Speedo reading and reality.

So, when the speedo reads 62mph, the actual speed is 59mph. I have checked this with Waze and I also have a Speedo app on my phone. Waze is visible on this photo.

Other vehicles that I have had such as an SL Mercedes was only out by about 1mph at 60mph.

Thanks in anticipation!

View attachment 7815361
The answer is yes and no. With modern technology there is no reason a speedo shouldn't be accurate. But I believe that the law still permits manufacturers to be within 10%.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi Forum members,

Thanks in anticipation!

View attachment 7815361
It will be within the limits. My one, 17“ as well, showed 166 km/h at a gps speed of 160/161 km/h so this would be between 3 an 4% deviation.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi Forum members,

Thanks in anticipation!

View attachment 7815361
Most manufacturers read 3-5% higher than actual.
Ford Australia used to be 6%
Particularly annoying for those road hogs sitting in the fast lane, refusing to move over, doing an indicated 100 kmh when they were only really doing 94kmh.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is good news as it should read accurate with my 33“ tyres.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Forum members,

Thanks in anticipation!

View attachment 7815361

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mines 3 to 4 mph over to John. There is an earlier thread on this.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
what happens to the accuracy when you put on larger tires, does it somehow self adjust?
The speedo will be set with the diameter of the standard factory tyres.
If you change tyre diameter then the accuracy will change.
If diameter goes up by 1" it wont have much impact, but if you go from 32" to 35" it certainly will.

Where I live the rules are fairly simple.
If the vehicle comes from the factory with the road tyres fitted
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.
If it comes with the K02 light truck tyres
Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
1686267963324.png

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
LOTS of variables that can also affect GPS speed readings. Trees, cloud cover, adjacent buildings, China. GPS speeds are in no way 100% accurate hence he reason they are not a legally accepted means of calculating speed by road transport authorities. Having said that, in perfect conditions the car speedo will always over-read the true GPS speed. Australian design rules (and presumably most other jurisdictions) allow for a certain % tolerance in over-reading, but 0% tolerance in under-reading by the cars speedometer.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This difference is normal is most new cars. My Pajero is 7kph under at indicated 110kph my Skoda is about 5, my Jag also about 5

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This difference is normal is most new cars. My Pajero is 7kph under at indicated 110kph my Skoda is about 5, my Jag also about 5
From memory design rules allow a significant margin under, but basically zero margin over so manufacturers deliberately err under.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My last 4 Toyota’s have been at 96km/hr actual when the speedo read 100km/hr.

Changing from 32” standard tyres to 33” corrects that to almost spot on.

Back
Top Bottom