The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar Panel Installation and Setup

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Nice, does that then charge both the batteries, presume so?
I assume so but I’ve got so much kit in there that it’s a bit of a faff to get under and check both battery’s voltage.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I run a Bluetti power station and 350w panel (which produces nearly 400w on a full on sunny day).
I prefer to run the power station for my camping/recreational needs and leave the Grenadier’s electrics unmolested.
When not in use, the panel lives in the ceiling, and the power station (being heavy) stays at home.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 170

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
I ended up re-purposing the 25amp deutsch roof outlet... and running a new cable/pins to the ctek 250 (or any other controller)...
I looked at that too, but fitted a higher rated cable (10g) through the grommet of the rear connector - (front was gone - to a light bar) and the rear is on a 3 way with 2 other connectors and power. Ran the cable along the roof line inside the vehicle and down the B pillar of the drivers door - the roof hood xmas tree lining plug gave me grief - broke one of them, just hole in which it is fitted so tight its one way (the one above the drivers head) - have some spares on order now AUD 7.28 from the dealer)

Whole job took the weekend (including fitting the D250SE with the black sheep panel). Upset the grenadier pulling g files to hook the alerbnator wire back to the fuse panel - took a drive and some kms for the ABS/ESC to decide it was alright after I tested removing the fuse for that checking what was live on that segment with the key on. (Fuse FI35 Run Crank - Steering / ESC / 7.5 Brake Fluid Sensor ). I ended up tapping into the power mirror circuit with a micro fuse tap.

Attached photos:
  • Looking above the roof liner (backwards right hand side) - can see the first from connector wiring coming in
  • The B pillar - looking up from the bottom (removing the first dark plastic pannel)
  • The solar D250SE fitting:( I did the black sheep connector plate using the money saved from buying D250SE on sale)
  • The panel (Kings on sale 160W) - see how it goes
Cheers, Doug.

Attachments

• tempImageAh9ItT.jpg
    tempImageAh9ItT.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 137
  • tempImageJWX04a.jpg
    tempImageJWX04a.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 130
  • tempImageGvKoay.jpg
    tempImageGvKoay.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 147
  • tempImagejJglgv.jpg
    tempImagejJglgv.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 149

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
I looked at that too, but fitted a higher rated cable (10g) through the grommet of the rear connector - (front was gone - to a light bar) and the rear is on a 3 way with 2 other connectors and power. Ran the cable along the roof line inside the vehicle and down the B pillar of the drivers door - the roof hood xmas tree lining plug gave me grief - broke one of them, just hole in which it is fitted so tight its one way (the one above the drivers head) - have some spares on order now AUD 7.28 from the dealer)

Whole job took the weekend (including fitting the D250SE with the black sheep panel). Upset the grenadier pulling g files to hook the alerbnator wire back to the fuse panel - took a drive and some kms for the ABS/ESC to decide it was alright after I tested removing the fuse for that checking what was live on that segment with the key on. (Fuse FI35 Run Crank - Steering / ESC / 7.5 Brake Fluid Sensor ). I ended up tapping into the power mirror circuit with a micro fuse tap.

Attached photos:
  • Looking above the roof liner (backwards right hand side) - can see the first from connector wiring coming in
  • The B pillar - looking up from the bottom (removing the first dark plastic pannel)
  • The solar D250SE fitting:( I did the black sheep connector plate using the money saved from buying D250SE on sale)
  • The panel (Kings on sale 160W) - see how it goes
Cheers, Doug.
Hi douggie, I'm currently fitting solar to my vehicle though with a full length rack and the panel mounted at the front (so going down the A-pillar is an option though I'd prefer not to drill holes in the vehicle itself). When installing your set up did you find any easy ways that might get the cables from the front of the roof to under the rear seats?

Like you I'll be fitting a light bar to the front right 25A outlet and as you mentioned the remaining 3 outlets are all ran off the 1 switch, all of which I'll end up using for left/right/rear work lights/external 12V socket since they are on the 1 switch.

Looking for the easiest way to get the solar cable from the roof into the car, I was thinking that drilling a new hole in one of the plastic roof power outlet mounting panels and adding another grommet would be the most weather safe option, they are pretty tight for space with the factory plugs though and I have no idea which one would provide the best route to the battery system. Any tips would be much appreciated!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking for the easiest way to get the solar cable from the roof into the car, I was thinking that drilling a new hole in one of the plastic roof power outlet mounting panels and adding another grommet would be the most weather safe option, they are pretty tight for space with the factory plugs though and I have no idea which one would provide the best route to the battery system. Any tips would be much appreciated!
There are pictures on the forum of someone going down the B pillar behind the passenger's head. Still looking for the link.

Last edited:
Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
If you want to mount only the Solarpanel without roofrack, you can use the Rhinorack Backbone Kit:
You have only add a aluminum angle, so you can fit a Standardpanel with bracket.

- picture is a link to the Website from taubenreuther (offroad24.de):

50-T1201010_g.jpg

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are pictures on the forum of someone gong down the B pillar behind the passenger's head. Still looking for the link.
If you could find that link (e.g. you have saved it) that would be great, but don't go out of your way searching fr it yourself, I'll keep searching!

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
If you want to mount only the Solarpanel without roofrack, you can use the Rhinorack Backbone Kit:
You have only add a aluminum angle, so you can fit a Standardpanel with bracket.

- picture is a link to the Website from taubenreuther (offroad24.de):

50-T1201010_g.jpg
I like this "backbone" roof rack setup with the Rhino rack as pictured on their website. @Deichrutscher, thanks for posting this. Have you seen their roof rack setup by chance? Thanks

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Pat-Ard and TheDocAUS, this is really helpful!
Hi @Miltz these pics were when I put my radios in for ham etc - if you want to know any more feel free to ask away! Really good to see the pictures are useful. Happy New Year all. Tom

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
I like this "backbone" roof rack setup with the Rhino rack as pictured on their website. @Deichrutscher, thanks for posting this. Have you seen their roof rack setup by chance? Thanks
Sorry, i have never seen it in the real world. The only Grenadiers that i have seen where at the dealer or on a Exhibition.
At the moment I'm (still) driving my Amarok.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi douggie, I'm currently fitting solar to my vehicle though with a full length rack and the panel mounted at the front (so going down the A-pillar is an option though I'd prefer not to drill holes in the vehicle itself). When installing your set up did you find any easy ways that might get the cables from the front of the roof to under the rear seats? Like you I'll be fitting a light bar to the front right 25A outlet and as you mentioned the remaining 3 outlets are all ran off the 1 switch, all of which I'll end up using for left/right/rear work lights/external 12V socket since they are on the 1 switch. Looking for the easiest way to get the solar cable from the roof into the car, I was thinking that drilling a new hole in one of the plastic roof power outlet mounting panels and adding another grommet would be the most weather safe option, they are pretty tight for space with the factory plugs though and I have no idea which one would provide the best route to the battery system. Any tips would be much appreciated!
Hi douggie, I'm currently fitting solar to my vehicle though with a full length rack and the panel mounted at the front (so going down the A-pillar is an option though I'd prefer not to drill holes in the vehicle itself). When installing your set up did you find any easy ways that might get the cables from the front of the roof to under the rear seats? Like you I'll be fitting a light bar to the front right 25A outlet and as you mentioned the remaining 3 outlets are all ran off the 1 switch, all of which I'll end up using for left/right/rear work lights/external 12V socket since they are on the 1 switch. Looking for the easiest way to get the solar cable from the roof into the car, I was thinking that drilling a new hole in one of the plastic roof power outlet mounting panels and adding another grommet would be the most weather safe option, they are pretty tight for space with the factory plugs though and I have no idea which one would provide the best route to the battery system. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Hi douggie, I'm currently fitting solar to my vehicle though with a full length rack and the panel mounted at the front (so going down the A-pillar is an option though I'd prefer not to drill holes in the vehicle itself). When installing your set up did you find any easy ways that might get the cables from the front of the roof to under the rear seats?

Like you I'll be fitting a light bar to the front right 25A outlet and as you mentioned the remaining 3 outlets are all ran off the 1 switch, all of which I'll end up using for left/right/rear work lights/external 12V socket since they are on the 1 switch.

The grommet on either power outlet makes it easy to get the cable inside. It’s a bit of an issue getting the cable through I used a cutoff end from a silicon sealer cartridge to help push through the rubber and provide a funnel to run the cable it ( the grommet has a cable tie behind that has to be cut)

Getting it inside the roof is easy. The roof liner is held on by a Christmas tree push in plug (Ineos hood lining plug) and the various handles and quick hook receivers found one of these hood lining plugs has to be broken to get it out…. B pillar from front cable point on the roof is the easiest run as it requires less access in the roof. Trick is to go behind the side airbag (and clip to existing cables on the roof where you can). The pillar also has an airbag to skirt and much more difficult to pull all the roof liner

I’ve talked with someone who used the c pillar but I could find my way into it (didn’t look hard enough).

I drilled no holes getting my cables into place. But broke one good lining plug (the one above the drivers head)

My b pillar run was front side of the seatbelt run between the panel fasteners so it can’t interfere with the seatbelt, rather than inside the chassis.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I Didn't take photos of everything I was a bit hot and bothered and dripping with sweat as it was a hot humid qld day.

Regds Doug

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The grommet on either power outlet makes it easy to get the cable inside. It’s a bit of an issue getting the cable through I used a cutoff end from a silicon sealer cartridge to help push through the rubber and provide a funnel to run the cable it ( the grommet has a cable tie behind that has to be cut)

Getting it inside the roof is easy. The roof liner is held on by a Christmas tree push in plug (Ineos hood lining plug) and the various handles and quick hook receivers found one of these hood lining plugs has to be broken to get it out…. B pillar from front cable point on the roof is the easiest run as it requires less access in the roof. Trick is to go behind the side airbag (and clip to existing cables on the roof where you can). The pillar also has an airbag to skirt and much more difficult to pull all the roof liner

I’ve talked with someone who used the c pillar but I could find my way into it (didn’t look hard enough).

I drilled no holes getting my cables into place. But broke one good lining plug (the one above the drivers head)

My b pillar run was front side of the seatbelt run between the panel fasteners so it can’t interfere with the seatbelt, rather than inside the chassis.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I Didn't take photos of everything I was a bit hot and bothered and dripping with sweat as it was a hot humid qld day.

Regds Doug
Thanks for the info Doug!

I had a chat with my Ineos dealer and similar to what you have suggested they said getting the cable down into the car through an existing power outlet grommet is an option but depends on cable gauge, otherwise you can drill into the plastic infill panel the power outlets use and install another grommet, I'm not too adverse to drilling into this, I just don't want to be drilling into any metal.

They have one owner who has installed roof solar and they went into the rear power outlet grommet and down the C-pillar as this was a shorter run to the battery, no need to run the cable under the floor to get under the rear seat and no airbag to avoid. It will also mean not damaging any roof lining clips above the front seats if that becomes an issue though it was suggested if you unbolt the plastic roof infill panel this will give you access to the pillar without having to drop the roof lining.

I did forget to ask which side the primary battery is on though as this may decide which side of the car I run it down, it depends on where I will be able to fit the regulator, if the only place I can fit is in the middle next to the CTEK then it doesn't really matter which side I go down. Though it would be easier to go down the LHS (if the cable gauge fits into the exiting power outlet grommet) as the power outlet on the LHS is at the front of the infill panel while on the RHS it's at the rear and further from the C-pillar, I don't see it being any harder to run the cable but will add a bit to the length which is best avoided.

Cheers,

Paul

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Doug!

I had a chat with my Ineos dealer and similar to what you have suggested they said getting the cable down into the car through an existing power outlet grommet is an option but depends on cable gauge, otherwise you can drill into the plastic infill panel the power outlets use and install another grommet, I'm not too adverse to drilling into this, I just don't want to be drilling into any metal.

They have one owner who has installed roof solar and they went into the rear power outlet grommet and down the C-pillar as this was a shorter run to the battery, no need to run the cable under the floor to get under the rear seat and no airbag to avoid. It will also mean not damaging any roof lining clips above the front seats if that becomes an issue though it was suggested if you unbolt the plastic roof infill panel this will give you access to the pillar without having to drop the roof lining.

I did forget to ask which side the primary battery is on though as this may decide which side of the car I run it down, it depends on where I will be able to fit the regulator, if the only place I can fit is in the middle next to the CTEK then it doesn't really matter which side I go down. Though it would be easier to go down the LHS (if the cable gauge fits into the exiting power outlet grommet) as the power outlet on the LHS is at the front of the infill panel while on the RHS it's at the rear and further from the C-pillar, I don't see it being any harder to run the cable but will add a bit to the length which is best avoided.

Cheers,

Paul
Got the solar panel on the roof and will run the cable/install the regulator shortly, booked in with the auto sparky for a couple of weeks time to do the final connections.

They did query the best point to connect the regulator to, I was going with starter battery but if anyone has a better idea, e.g. the CTEK let me know!

Cheers,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom