The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar Panel Installation and Setup

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife snagged me one on clearance last month for the 2AH 18v batteries I use for my portable desk fan at work. Now I can just keep a spare battery on the charger in the rover. End goal is to mount it to the luggage partition, and like many things it will likely just be one more thing to be moved over to the IG when it arrives.

86B50CAF-2B2E-47EE-AEFC-D12552E555EC.jpeg

Attachments

• 41862805-8976-492D-B2DD-4BE578B48CE6.jpeg
    41862805-8976-492D-B2DD-4BE578B48CE6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife snagged me one on clearance last month for the 2AH 18v batteries I use for my portable desk fan at work. Now I can just keep a spare battery on the charger in the rover. End goal is to mount it to the luggage partition, and like many things it will likely just be one more thing to be moved over to the IG when it arrives.

View attachment 7802222
$23 that’s a bargain 😎

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
My gear is DeWalt and I have one of these. I don’t yet have an impact driver but it will be on the birthday present list.

F479980B-FCB0-48A1-A9C8-EA76869404E5.jpeg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wait, just running an AC inverter to recharge DC batteries? It’s much more efficient to use dc-dc chargers for any of those batteries.
Ah, if that's referring to me it's down to my poor phrasing. Inverter is obviously just for the 240V widgets.

jflipa83

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with enerdrive products? They seem like good quality and it’s not too expensive. I’m looking for a 200a battery and 2000w inverter set up. I’m thinking of having a little coffee machine in the back while we watch the kids play soccer etc

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with enerdrive products? They seem like good quality and it’s not too expensive. I’m looking for a 200a battery and 2000w inverter set up. I’m thinking of having a little coffee machine in the back while we watch the kids play soccer etc
Make sure you check the constant output of your inverter and the duty cycle not just the peak output
Also check the maximum current and power needed by your coffee machine

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This was gong real well until the her indoors moved her car and ran over the solar panel 😡😡
Oh no!! Appreciate the test while it lasted!

Delighted with this, thinking maybe won’t bother pfaffing with the CTEK setup.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well it certainly works and an easy solution The benefit is the solar panel can be orientated towards the sun so more efficient than a fixed installation. I’ve had this as an addition to my previous setup and seems fairly robust unless you run over it. Just about to order another one. Here’s the link

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well it certainly works and an easy solution The benefit is the solar panel can be orientated towards the sun so more efficient than a fixed installation. I’ve had this as an addition to my previous setup and seems fairly robust unless you run over it. Just about to order another one. Here’s the link
Yes, I rather prefer a blanket in the intense overhead sun of our Antipodean latitudes.
Your Mrs would’ve made short work of that though.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
I can recommend to choose more, but smaller boards (in general).

The reasons:
  • Larger panels are more difficult to erect. They are more sensitive to wind, require larger shadow-free areas, and since they are usually taller, the studs are less stable.
  • Shading, in particular, is a problem: If a panel is shaded by just 10%, it can already fail completely. Between shrubs and trees, it is easier for smaller panels to find an unshaded spot.
  • Three smaller panels typically provide more voltage than two larger ones. The MPPTs will not charge at all below a certain threshold. So it is better to have 200 watts from three small panels than zero watts from two larger panels.
  • You have to know that the panels are usually connected in series. So if a larger panel has 10% shading, it will stop working, making the entire installation (i.e. the string) ineffective.
These are my experiences with my Bluetti equipment that I run in my garden.

This does not mean exactly "three" or "two" panels, but generally prefer more (for higher voltage even in low sunshine), but smaller ones (to avoid the shadow problem a bit).

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I rather prefer a blanket in the intense overhead sun of our Antipodean latitudes.
Your Mrs would’ve made short work of that though.

So these suitcase style panels are pretty tough. I’ve straightened it out and plugged it in. Amazingly showing 14v at jump lead point under Grenadier bonnet I’ve ordered another though as sure it won’t last long 👍🏼IMG_1695.jpeg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tried out the solar panels today in the first South African sun we’ve had. All working as planned.
connected the panels when the sun was low in the sky at 0730 hrs. The fridge had been on all night set to 1c. We had various cameras torches etc on charge as well. Battery charge at 90% to start and up to 98% in 3hrs with intense sun on the vehicle. I’m happy with that so will stick with just the smartpass for now. May put a permanent connection point in for the panels at some point to save lifting the bonnet but like the flexibility of portable panels as can orientate towards the sun for more effectiveness IMG_2454.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom