The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar Panel Installation and Setup

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
Ok - can we have your ideas on how to mount a solar panel on the roof of the Grenadier.
How to mount it - underneath the roof rack would be ideal to get it out of the way, but not ideal for solar collection.
Mounting it underneath the optional roof rails would be ideal, but not if you want a roofrack.

Where to run the wiring.
If you are using the Electrical Preperation, would you utilize some of the existing roof wiring sockets for that (the one designed for the light bar perhaps), or would you just run another line?

Opening it up to your thoughts on the topic, on the full understanding that in about 5 replies time, the thread would have deviated to some other obscure but semi related topic.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking a single panel at the front of the roof on twin roof bars, angled slightly to follow the roof line (mounted over where the safari windows would've been if optioned).
The small angle, whilst not ideal for solar output, should help redirect airflow over a 3/4 roof rack and maintain the roof line which i quite like.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In addition to an angled panel across the front. I wonder, because I've never seen such a thing, if a frame could be mounted to the roof rack, set above the likely load height, like a "roof" over the load. It would need to be easily detached or swung out of the way for loading. I figure weight will be the issue to manage.

I don't know how those "blanket" type panels would work if one was simply rolled out across the load and carefully tied down.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - can we have your ideas on how to mount a solar panel on the roof of the Grenadier.
How to mount it - underneath the roof rack would be ideal to get it out of the way, but not ideal for solar collection.
Mounting it underneath the optional roof rails would be ideal, but not if you want a roofrack.

Where to run the wiring.
If you are using the Electrical Preperation, would you utilize some of the existing roof wiring sockets for that (the one designed for the light bar perhaps), or would you just run another line?

Opening it up to your thoughts on the topic, on the full understanding that in about 5 replies time, the thread would have deviated to some other obscure but semi related topic.
Are you located somewhere hot? I’m a fan of using a solar blanket while the vehicle remains parked in the shade, if not unfold the blanket over the screen & bonnet to keep the sun out. I’m tossing up leaving the plug either under the rear seat or zip tied to a cargo barrier. Perhaps this is already a deviation…

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you located somewhere hot? I’m a fan of using a solar blanket while the vehicle remains parked in the shade, if not unfold the blanket over the screen & bonnet to keep the sun out. I’m tossing up leaving the plug either under the rear seat or zip tied to a cargo barrier. Perhaps this is already a deviation…
Melbourne.
What brand solar blanket do you use? The cheap ones are useless.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Where to run the wiring.

Get the frontrunner rack with the table mount under the rack
Leave the panel in that when roof rack loaded or when it isn't needed and slide it out on top when stopped/camping or when the rack is unloaded.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
If there is a single Power outlet on the roof, couldn’t that be used as an inlet instead if you rewire it at the distribution and put an inverter in between?

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
I know that Nakatanenga will provide us Grenni drivers with a cargo bear rack. I really hope, it has the same feature as the one for the old Defender, a lower first roofbar and so an angled first segment. And now add a frame with a solarpanel…Could be good…

CB3150D9-60CB-4A37-A407-AA34D8544357.jpeg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
I'm very keen to fit a solar panel but my demand is to trickle charge the batteries rather than live off grid and power fridges etc. That could change however. I have small (12"x6") solar panels in each car fitted in the rear most right hand window (A6) and rear most sunroof (D4) wired directly to battery/aux socket respectively. They don't provide that much current but it sure helps keep them happy. Will have to think where to position the Grenny's as have requested panel sides rather than windows.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
on my Grenadier overland set up, I’m initially going down the route of suitcase style fold out solar panels as I already have one. It has its own inbuilt mppt controller so can be connected directly to one of the roof mounted electrical outlets. And for reference more than one mppt controller can be connected to the same battery bank meaning that I could add another suitcase style solar panel to my set up. Having installed a fixed installation solar set up to my previous vehicle, I have come to the conclusion that quality portable panels are more efficient as can be orientated at the correct angle and direction to the sun. Although you do have to store them somewhere. The attached link is what I have and is very effective.
A fixed solar panel set up will be made easier if Ineos use the CTEK D250SE Dual input DC-DC Charger & MPPT Solar Controller, in their dual battery management set up. Which is yet to be confirmed.
pros and cons to both set ups so different set ups suit different people. Hope this helps, links attached. 👍

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those interested. On my previous vehicle which I’ve just sold286698BC-5144-4C8A-9117-7900CCECFB70.jpeg. I installed semi flexible solar panels 2 x 100 watt controlled via a Victron solar controller fixed on top of the Bundutop roof top tent. DD09F9C6-AE17-43E0-AB0E-670164578DFB.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
Don't Ctek make a ppt controller you can link to the system

Attachments

• SYSTEM_MONITOR_200A-web-big-2.jpg
    SYSTEM_MONITOR_200A-web-big-2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 44

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I’m sure they do but the one I referenced is a combined DC-DC charger and solar controller this would negate the need for a separate solar controller. It would normally be used in conjunction with the CTEK smartpass 120 battery management system. If Ineos use this set up then it would be easier to add a fixed solar instillation wiring permitted.
There are plenty of good makes of Solar controllers. CTEK and Victron amongst them. I’m pretty sure Ineos are going with CTEK but not sure until the final production vehicle is launched whether it will include the solar controller.
let’s hope so 🤞

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When chatting to the INEOS guys about the Solar setup, one of the guys mentioned to use the spare roof top switchable wiring.

When asking another guy what they are doing regarding allowing a Solar Panel connection - he just laughed it off and basically said that is a bit beyond an OEM's mandate to worry about, which was not the answer I wanted to hear.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Melbourne.
What brand solar blanket do you use? The cheap ones are useless.
I’ve got an earlier model of this.
Solid quality and as said before, more options to place it without moving the car around as the sun moves. Of course no good to charge on the go like a fixed hard panel on the roof but I reckon it’s a more flexible option. Mine has tie down rings so you could technically mount / tie it to the roof while on the move I suppose.
I normally put mine on the windscreen of the 200 but the IG screen being smaller and more upright would mean it would need to sit on the roof or bonnet, or on rhe ground using the extension cable.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry 🙏🏼I’ve only just studied the picture you sent. Yes that is exactly the system I am talking about. Let’s hope that’s in the final version. 👍🏼

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think production cars get the smartness 120 but the D20 is an add on .Seems simple a couple of bus bars etc.
Just checked on the 12 volt planet website and they state that the smartpass can be used independently but is best when configured with the CTEK D250 SE. Not long to wait I hope before we see what Ineos have configured.

Back
Top Bottom