The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Software update- does it affect Android auto?

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm heading in to local dealer for software update and some other fixes this week.
Does anyone know if the software update enables wireless Android auto?
I read that some of our US owners have this facility in their later issued vehicles.
I have a road trip coming up. Would like to sort out relocation of cubby usb c before that the trip if it isn't part of the update.
Pedro

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm heading in to local dealer for software update and some other fixes this week.
Does anyone know if the software update enables wireless Android auto?
I read that some of our US owners have this facility in their later issued vehicles.
I have a road trip coming up. Would like to sort out relocation of cubby usb c before that the trip if it isn't part of the update.
Pedro
Android Auto isn't wireless as standard unless you get a wireless dongle from Amazon. Wireless certainly not standard in UK versions. I can confirm however that the dongle once paired to the vehicle is very good.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
Android Auto isn't wireless as standard unless you get a wireless dongle from Amazon. Wireless certainly not standard in UK versions. I can confirm however that the dongle once paired to the vehicle is very good.
It was supposed to be standard wired Android in the US too but it's wireless after all. If it's a software thing there's a chance the earlier trucks can ditch the wires after an update.

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
It was supposed to be standard wired Android in the US too but it's wireless after all. If it's a software thing there's a chance the earlier trucks can ditch the wires after an update.
Is my understanding correct that IG MY2004 in US is providing wireless Android Auto without the help of any additional gadgets?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
Is my understanding correct that IG MY2004 in US is providing wireless Android Auto without the help of any additional gadgets?
Haven't tried it but that seems to be the case. I'll see if I can dig out an old droid and test it for you tomorrow.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I got an new VW Amarok for two weeks and used Android Auto....I didn't check it in depth, but as soon as I switched Bluetooth on and coupled car and phone, Android Auto enabled the WiFI Adapter and worked with that.
My phone is a Samsung S21 Ultra+ 5G.

I didn't need to add anything, it just worked.

AWo

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got an new VW Amarok for two weeks and used Android Auto....I didn't check it in depth, but as soon as I switched Bluetooth on and coupled car and phone, Android Auto enabled the WiFI Adapter and worked with that.

AWo
ja ja, that is the point bugging me: even a Volkswagen can do it.... :LOL:

Even tough, the aawireless usb bridge does reveal that pain of "usb only limitation". At least in my combo of huawei and android.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AWo
Yes, that's what I don't get. Some, if not most manufacturers build in a wireless andriod auto dongle. But with some others (Ineos included) we have to buy an addon £40 dongle. On a £70K vehicle???

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I really don't care whether android is wired or bluetooth. I just want the microphone fixed. Callers can't hear me. It's not an uncommon problem in some areas and nobody has fixed it to my knowledge.
(Yes , tried high quality cables etc etc)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Wifi is not against your demand. It increases it.

AWo
Maybe , but what's the point of a telephone if the caller can't hear the receiver?
It's like a car with an engine, but no wheels.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe , but what's the point of a telephone if the caller can't hear the receiver?
It's like a car with an engine, but no wheels.
I have no problems phoning, everybody hears me quite well, usually.
My Android dongle works also "usually". Sometimes not, I still don't understand why, but stopping the car, ignition off, and on again, and it works again.

Pity indeed that Ineos didn't provide even the "early" cars with wireless Android Auto.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have no problems phoning, everybody hears me quite well, usually.
My Android dongle works also "usually". Sometimes not, I still don't understand why, but stopping the car, ignition off, and on again, and it works again.

Pity indeed that Ineos didn't provide even the "early" cars with wireless Android Auto.
I think my android issue is something to do with being in the southern hemisphere. IA have misunderstood our needs in several ways.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I really don't care whether android is wired or bluetooth. I just want the microphone fixed. Callers can't hear me. It's not an uncommon problem in some areas and nobody has fixed it to my knowledge.
(Yes , tried high quality cables etc etc)
I've never had a problem with my phone when the receiver can hear. But a couple of days ago the wife's phone was connected (wireless android Auto) (and I was present also) and low and behold, the recipient of a call couldn't hear her but we couldn't hear them either. I had to revert to hand operating her phone. Both phones near identical models. Is it an intermittent microphone/ software issue or is it phone connection related? I think on the forum we have had android and iPhone issues. I would be curious to know does this happen when there are other phones in the vehicle or just a single phone. And does this issue relate only to android/car pIay connected phones. I ask this because when I am in the vehicle alone and pass our stables some 50m away where the wife is with her phone, it will override my phone because she has a wireless connection and I don't bother with android Auto.

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
I can confirm that my phone connects with Android Auto wirelessly and without a dongle. The dealer warned me that it might not work the first time around, but it did. It actually works too well. Whenever I hop into my Grenny, Google maps pops up on the display right away.

Last edited:

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can confirm that, in my car anyway, after the software update the head unit still asks for usb c cable connection to use Android auto. So back to relocating usb c outlet and a mount for phone. Going to trial a right angle usb c plug and quad lock mount.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wireless Android Auto is standard on NAS MY24 vehicles
I wonder if this a hardware upgrade in the MY24 cars, and if a head unit upgrade could be available to enable it in the MY23 cars

Back
Top Bottom