The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Relocate usb c from storage box

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone relocated the usb c port from inside the cubby storage box?
I don't mind the idea of wired connection for Android auto, just would like to tidy it up. My phone just sits on the flat space under the centre console, but on the 3 day "bring my new toy to townsville trip" the only issue i had was the cable being knocked and disconnected as it came out of the box then past the transmission levers etc.
Wondering if anyone has attempted to relocate outlets to the centre console.
Easiest solution might be a right angle plug and cable inside box, run under the transmission panels to pop out somewhere near centre console
Just thought I'd ask.
Pedro

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
I don't mind the idea of wired connection for Android auto, just would like to tidy it up. My phone just sits on the flat space under the centre console, but on the 3 day "bring my new toy to townsville trip" the only issue i had was the cable being knocked and disconnected as it came out of the box then past the transmission levers etc.
Easiest solution might be a right angle plug and cable inside box, run under the transmission panels to pop out somewhere near centre console
Just thought I'd ask.
Pedro
I didn't relocate the one from the box to somewhere else - I simply added a dual USB & USB-C to both the drivers & passengers side - see photoAdditional USB Passenger .JPGAdditional USB drivers footwell.JPG

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for both responses. I particularly wanted to relocate the usb c inside the box for using the connection to Android auto. A couple of extra power points would also be handy

slukell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't think the Grenadier had wireless Android Auto.. I have the same phone and never even tried it lol.

I had a similar thought as you @pedrogb but quickly figured out that my phone (albeit with a cover) is quite happy to stand on its side between the middle console and the handbrake! My short USB C cable helps keeping it there, at least for now.

Sure, I'm still in the breaking in phase on Sydney roads - probably won't work as well when venturing outside of city limits.

This is actually my only real (tiny) annoyance after 500km (and of course the fat-finger panic button) - having the USB connector somewhere at the front seems like a much more natural location. I might have a crack at moving it later if wireless or my current hack isn't working

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
Just thought I'd ask.
Pedro

That could mean you Americans got a more recent software or IT hardware in the car! :unsure:
Or the Pixel 8 Pro has the wireless connector software installed negating the need for a dongle.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all responses, I can wait, it's going to dealer for replacing the rai light fitting, maybe they will do a software update then. The old prado had nothing, then a ram mount with no charging but corded and bluetooth connection, then I upgraded to a Maglock wireless charger. But it didn't ever have Android auto. I just don't want to go backwards, I'm loving the upgrade so far.
But if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.....

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
Just thought I'd ask.
Pedro
In my MY24, Android Auto works wirelessly.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This w
In my MY24, Android Auto works wirelessly.

This was a big surprise - I even brought a wireless Android auto dongle with me and set it up. It took me several days to realize it was not needed.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Poop. Wired only Android auto is one of the biggest reasons I just switched to iPhone.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use android auto with a pixel 8 pro and have not had to plug it in once. It connected to the Grenadier wirelessly from the start.
Glad to see that fact came to fruition for the MY24s and we weren't lying about it through the PTO2 tour! :ROFLMAO:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
That is amazing news. I bought a dongle what seems like a year ago. Now I'll use it on our yukon and go wireless on the IG. Here comes the million dollar question? Where is the wifi because AA runs off of Bluetooth and wifi. Like standard Android Auto, wireless Android Auto overrides your car's infotainment software and lets your phone do the heavy lifting. It requires a compatible head unit and in-vehicle Wi-Fi. Bluetooth doesn't transmit enough data to support wireless Android Auto. Do if there is wifi then there is power which would let me tap into to create a Hotspot for work and the kids.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't relocate the one from the box to somewhere else - I simply added a dual USB & USB-C to both the drivers & passengers side - see photoView attachment 7838087View attachment 7838088
Hi, I've had a go at relocating the UHF RJ45 plug successfully, now I have a USB A and C outlet to put in as well. A trip to Brisbane with a teenaged phone addict showed how extra power outlet easily accessible in the front would be handy. The cubby box ones are full already with Android auto and a music filled USB.
I'd like to do the same as you have and locate it here underneath the panelling, LHS of the "Oh Jesus" handle facing down..
Just wondering if you remember how long the outlet was that you installed.
I bought one of these, approx 45mm long not including terminals.
I've run the wire, but yet to find the 10A outlet
If you remember that would really help.
Pedro

Attachments

• 20240224_161329.jpg
    20240224_161329.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 20240224_173918.jpg
    20240224_173918.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 59
  • USB C and A.png
    USB C and A.png