The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • No crack

Votes: 27 42.9%

• Total voters

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
That’s a shame! 😞
Just to add a little reassurance for you ….
Being VERY experienced in this issue from my JLR vehicles ( exactly same manufacturer spec from Pilkington) - I was advised it was perfectly safe to drive around with even a 70cm crack in my windshield for months! And I did too 👍🏼
Just stay away from reindeer if you’re near Käbdalis or further north 😆

Thank you for the reassuring words. I’m quite close to the reindeer but will leave on a 7000+ km European road trip on Sunday (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/eu-road-trip-visit-to-blacksheep.12414038/), so now Project “call every Ineos dealer on the route” has started 🫣.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi Stu, What type of window film did you get and where. Approx Pricing?
DaBull
Rusnak offer it. I can’t remember the manufacturer off the top of my head but it comes with a windshield warranty as well.

G-Master

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update: Ineos rejected to repair the windshield by guarantee, they wouldn't have heard about problems with unusual cracking windshields :oops:
Brought the Grenadier to the dealer to get it fixed by my insurance. Just got a call that the new windshield was already cracked at an edge when delivered to the dealer...... no Grenadier at home this weekend :cry:

TX Wilderness Seeker

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Update: Ineos rejected to repair the windshield by guarantee, they wouldn't have heard about problems with unusual cracking windshields :oops:
Brought the Grenadier to the dealer to get it fixed by my insurance. Just got a call that the new windshield was already cracked at an edge when delivered to the dealer...... no Grenadier at home this weekend :cry:
That’s not wonderful news. I am waiting on the dealer to let me know if mine is covered by warranty/guarantee. We submitted a claim as well.

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
This thread is getting interesting to me on many levels!
I’m really keen to see if we can get more data for the survey please. 🙏🏼
Actually considering NOT taking delivery and living with losing the deposit whilst also risking an Ineos “claim” to complete on a contract.
One of my concerns is the simple one of spares. If one of our forum members can’t get one in Sweden then what hope do we have down in little ‘ole Noo Zild?
Very unhappy 🙁

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
That’s not wonderful news. I am waiting on the dealer to let me know if mine is covered by warranty/guarantee. We submitted a claim as well.
My dealer hasn't engaged at all on my emails about my windshield (15" radiating crack, from bottom, no sign of any impact). But i have an upcoming appointment for something else, and will raise it in person. We will see. There are many owners impacted - what is unclear is what is 'normal' and what is not. Personally, with that super upright windshield knew there would be risks. Still love the vehicle.

Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
This thread is getting interesting to me on many levels!
I’m really keen to see if we can get more data for the survey please. 🙏🏼
Actually considering NOT taking delivery and living with losing the deposit whilst also risking an Ineos “claim” to complete on a contract.
One of my concerns is the simple one of spares. If one of our forum members can’t get one in Sweden then what hope do we have down in little ‘ole Noo Zild?
Very unhappy 🙁

On the up-side, you live in New Zealand :)

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
May I ask which dealer?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
We seem to have a 50% failure rate so far. Is there anyone here with a crack that never turned on their front defroster, at least not on full blast with high heat? I think this might help answer whether the defroster contributed to it.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only had my Grenny 1 week. Did turn on the defroster one time but had the temp set right at the line of cold/hot with fan speed on 1. No crack has developed as of yet. No impacts on the windshield yet either and approx. 500 miles of highway driving

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
I've used the defroster on full blast with ice on the windshield.
No crack yet...

I recently installed some weatherstripping along the exposed edges of the glass. Hope it will help.
I'm buying the theory that the edges are a weak spot and can start a crack with minimal impact.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Again, you can not kill a non defect windshield glass with the heater. No. If you have a crack already, it can get larger by temperature changes, but if the glass is fine, you can't brake it with your heating or air conditioning.

AWo

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Found this article that may help guide the discussion on the issue...It is quite technical (I still have to read through it one or two more times) but I pulled out some areas that MAY pertain to this situation with the Grenadier's windshield.

"Breakage is the conversion of the critical tensile stress into elastic strain energy at a surface or edge flaw. "
"Breakage due to applied external elastic strain energy occurs in AN (annealed), HS (heat strengthened), and FT (fully tempered) glasses due to mechanical and temperature loading."
"The length, characteristics, and quantity of glass fracture are directly related to the strain energy required to relieve applied external and/or internal stresses. "
"On the other hand, low-stress thermal cracks are typically oriented perpendicular to glass edges and surfaces; high thermal stress cracks have a similar orientation with branching cracks that branch from the initial crack within two inches of the initial fracture surface" (see image below)

1706972701748.png

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Found this article that may help guide the discussion on the issue...It is quite technical (I still have to read through it one or two more times) but I pulled out some areas that MAY pertain to this situation with the Grenadier's windshield.

"Breakage is the conversion of the critical tensile stress into elastic strain energy at a surface or edge flaw. "
"Breakage due to applied external elastic strain energy occurs in AN (annealed), HS (heat strengthened), and FT (fully tempered) glasses due to mechanical and temperature loading."
"The length, characteristics, and quantity of glass fracture are directly related to the strain energy required to relieve applied external and/or internal stresses. "
"On the other hand, low-stress thermal cracks are typically oriented perpendicular to glass edges and surfaces; high thermal stress cracks have a similar orientation with branching cracks that branch from the initial crack within two inches of the initial fracture surface" (see image below)

View attachment 7842377
I would love to see the channel with the window out they all keep happening in and around the same area it’s almost like they need to make a few mm smaller windshield with a larger gasket its stress.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would love to see the channel with the window out they all keep happening in and around the same area it’s almost like they need to make a few mm smaller windshield with a larger gasket its stress.
IF there is a channel. It almost looks like flat glass adhesive-mounted to a flat frame. And no edge molding or support.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Oh I had no idea have not got mine yet. I had no idea. Now I see it in the images wow. I have driven them at an event but paid zero attention to that aspect.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's the difference between US and UK I suppose. Most UK insurers cover it, they have their preferred repairers. You just call the repair and pay the £50 (or £100 depending on company) excess and that's it. Doesn't affect your no claims bonus (NCB)
My insurance in NC used to be that way - changed several yrs ago so now it is the comprehensive deductible :mad:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
In my current ride and will also be in the IG, I keep a windshield repair kit and it works amazing. You get stone chip, you quickly use the kit and it stops the spider crack right away. But you need to do it fast before the crack can start spreading.

Most recent got hit by stone from a semi. On my way home from work. Pulled into my drive way, filled the crack and it has moved one bit for last 10 months. Rain, cold, 100 degree hear. The star crack has spread into a spider. 11 dollar bottle, cheap insurance.

Back
Top Bottom