The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No crack

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Helpful. If you don't mind sharing what you learn, would very much appreciate it. I just messaged my dealer with my picture and some of the observations on the forum. Will see how that goes. Good luck!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
I am now officially afraid to use the front defroster. If I need it, I will be sure to keep the temp at 70 as a precaution. This is actually ridiculous for what’s supposed to be a rugged outdoor vehicle.
How do you know the temp setting? It is displayed somewhere?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How do you know the temp setting? It is displayed somewhere?
when you adjust the temperature knob, at the top of the screen, it gives you the temperature setting. 70 degrees is still in the blue for the temperature dial.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Post 59 is most interesting:
I work in the glass industry - it only takes a very small edge flaw to start a glass run when stress (heat differentials, shock, jarring, etc.) are applied. Being that the edges of the windshield on the jeep are unprotected, it subjects them to small rock chips every time you drive. I replaced my windshield from a crack and not two weeks later got a chip on the very edge that once summer hit started to run and now runs through the windshield similar to yours. Next time I replace the windshield I'm going to apply silicone around the outer gap and along the exposed edge in hopes it will eliminate that exposure. Almost all other vehicles have the window installed such that rubber or trim wraps around the edge of the window or protect the edge in some other way... not sure why the jeep is done like it is, but that's what we all bought so it is what it is - I chose to just fix the issue myself rather than wait for Jeep to address it.

—————————————-end post

Do we have exposed edges? Also was helpful to find defroster plugs used to divert air more evenly across the windshield.
So it looks like we do have exposed edges just like the Wranglers. Given this installation, I don't think this is a tension crack. I'm going to put some leftover protective sill tape along the bottom edge of the outside of the window where most of the cracking has been. God knows if it will help, but easy precaution.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those of you with cracks, can you take a picture of what the crack looks like from outside all the way down to the edge of the windshield? I just want to see if there is a common spot from which the crack begins.

G-Master

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
Happend to me too! Heavy Snowfalls combined with maximum heat at the Window to get rid of the ice/snow on the windshield, cracked rigt away on the typical spot in the middle of the front airvents without having a stone chip there. Has to be an Ineos-hoax since all the windows crack in this area. Asked the dealer to register a complaint ticket at Ineos.....
WhatsApp Bild 2024-01-19 um 13.43.43_bbe104a9.jpg

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Happend to me too! Heavy Snowfalls combined with maximum heat at the Window to get rid of the ice/snow on the windshield, cracked rigt away on the typical spot in the middle of the front airvents without having a stone chip there. Has to be an Ineos-hoax since all the windows crack in this area. Asked the dealer to register a complaint ticket at Ineos.....
View attachment 7840581
That really sucks, but supports my theory that our heaters are set way too hot on full blast.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Seems like 100% failure rate in what, 1500 miles or less? Guess the better question is who has NOT had a glass failure yet? I realize upright windshields are worse, but that is due to rock hits with more force. This is entirely different, and a real design flaw.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seems like 100% failure rate in what, 1500 miles or less? Guess the better question is who has NOT had a glass failure yet? I realize upright windshields are worse, but that is due to rock hits with more force. This is entirely different, and a real design flaw.
I do not have a crack and I'm at 1400 miles. I will not turn on the defrosters at full blast. Will keep things at 70decrees Fahrenheit if I need the defroster. And I purchased some rubber molding for the lower edge of my windshield as a precaution.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I’m very saddened to hear of all these lower central windscreen cracking issues on our North American friends’ vehicles! 😞
I understand that all these are petrol engines and recall some posts mentioning that the heater temperature is higher on petrol engines?
If this is so, could we also survey how many examples of the same type of crack we are seeing on diesel engined vehicles please?
Would be interesting to see if this is a common issue on across both fuel types? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it easy to put out a member survey for this type of thing Stu Barnes or Krabby?
Happy to do this if it is 😁👍🏼
Pedro

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
Windshield glass should not crack from a hot defroster. Period.

When we lived at 8,500 feet (2,500 meters) in the Grand Valley in Colorado - one of the colder places in the U.S. - temperatures in January and February were regularly between -20 and -35 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 to -37 degrees Celsius). My Jeep JK was not garaged, and the heater in a Jeep Wrangler blows with the heat of 1,000 suns. Never had a stress crack. Also had multiple Toyotas in these conditions - never with any stress cracks. The heater in my Jeep CJ-7 blew even hotter than the one in my JK. I used to run the defrost on the coldest days in northern New England (-30 degrees Fahrenheit) without ever getting a stress crack. Sure - if you get a good-size rock chip in the windshield, temperature extremes between the outside and the defroster will accelerate the progression of the chip to a crack - but that's only if you've already got a significant chip.

The photos of cracks on this thread sure don't look like they were started by rock chips. There is either a problem with the glass, or how it is mounted.

Normal winter morning:
cold.jpg

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Windshield glass should not crack from a hot defroster. Period.

When we lived at 8,500 feet (2,500 meters) in the Grand Valley in Colorado - one of the colder places in the U.S. - temperatures in January and February were regularly between -20 and -35 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 to -37 degrees Celsius). My Jeep JK was not garaged, and the heater in a Jeep Wrangler blows with the heat of 1,000 suns. Never had a stress crack. Also had multiple Toyotas in these conditions - never with any stress cracks. The heater in my Jeep CJ-7 blew even hotter than the one in my JK. I used to run the defrost on the coldest days in northern New England (-30 degrees Fahrenheit) without ever getting a stress crack. Sure - if you get a good-size rock chip in the windshield, temperature extremes between the outside and the defroster will accelerate the progression of the chip to a crack - but that's only if you've already got a significant chip.

The photos of cracks on this thread sure don't look like they were started by rock chips. There is either a problem with the glass, or how it is mounted.

Normal winter morning:
View attachment 7840686
The Wrangler forums have had many cracks too. I agree with you though.

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m very saddened to hear of all these lower central windscreen cracking issues on our North American friends’ vehicles! 😞
I understand that all these are petrol engines and recall some posts mentioning that the heater temperature is higher on petrol engines?
If this is so, could we also survey how many examples of the same type of crack we are seeing on diesel engined vehicles please?
Would be interesting to see if this is a common issue on across both fuel types? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it easy to put out a member survey for this type of thing Stu Barnes or Krabby?
Happy to do this if it is 😁👍🏼
Pedro
I am wondering if Ineos have a new glass supplier as I haven't seen much talk about glass cracks on the earlier European and Australian cars. Perhaps adding the chassis numbers when reporting glass failures so we can see if there is a trend .

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am wondering if Ineos have a new glass supplier as I haven't seen much talk about glass cracks on the earlier European and Australian cars. Perhaps adding the chassis numbers when reporting glass failures so we can see if there is a trend .
No the glass in the Grenadier is Pilkinton they supply nearly all manufacturers

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So I bought this rubber molding on Amazon for $15 and stuck it to the bottom of the windshield. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6ZSCY37/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

There is a theory that small rock fragments flow up our hood and may chip the bottom edge of our windshield and then the high heat from our defroster causes expansion and then a crack. It's not pretty, but functional I hope. This is all I'm going to do in addition to keeping my defroster at 70 degrees whenever I run it.

IMG_7566.jpegIMG_7567.jpeg
IMG_7569.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom