The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No crack

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters
Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
The Wrangler forums have had many cracks too. I agree with you though.
Yes - all vertical windshields will suffer from a higher rate of cracks as a consequence of rock strikes (Wrangler, FJ-Cruiser, etc.). That is the inevitable consequence of the vertical windshield. Sloped windshields get rock strikes but they are more often "glancing blows" - if that makes sense - as opposed to the impact of a rock hitting a 90-degree wall of glass.

What we are seeing with the Grenadier is a high rate of cracked windshields with no apparent sign of a rock strike.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Yes - all vertical windshields will suffer from a higher rate of cracks as a consequence of rock strikes (Wrangler, FJ-Cruiser, etc.). That is the inevitable consequence of the vertical windshield. Sloped windshields get rock strikes but they are more often "glancing blows" - if that makes sense - as opposed to the impact of a rock hitting a 90-degree wall of glass.

What we are seeing with the Grenadier is a high rate of cracked windshields with no apparent sign of a rock strike.
Go up a few posts. I included a link to the wranglerforum that have similar cracks from the bottom and they blame the defroster

Local time
Reaction score
There is a theory that small rock fragments flow up our hood and may chip the bottom edge of our windshield and then the high heat from our defroster causes expansion and then a crack.

Its an interesting theory, and maybe its true. I'm in no position to evaluate that. It just seems unlikely to me that all the cracked windshields suffered a rock strike on the bottom edge of the glass in what is basically the middle (left-to-right axis) of the windshield - which seems like it would be very well protected from rock strikes. Just speculating...

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
Its an interesting theory, and maybe its true. I'm in no position to evaluate that. It just seems unlikely to me that all the cracked windshields suffered a rock strike on the bottom edge of the glass in what is basically the middle (left-to-right axis) of the windshield - which seems like it would be very well protected from rock strikes. Just speculating...
Maybe a specific "lot" of windshields for the Grenadier with a a manufacturing defect?

Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier owners who have this crack in the bottom of the windshield, should inspect the edge of the glass for a sign of a chip. There should be a visible difference between (1) a crack that is the consequence of stress, and (2) a crack that has formed with a chip (even small) as its point of origin; a chip on the bottom edge of the glass should be both visible, and something you can feel if you run your finger along the edge. In the case of (1), the edge of the glass should be smooth; in the case of (2), the edge of the glass should have some sign of a chip. Maybe folks could post up what they find.

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I meant that I believe the windscreen is so weak it will still crack with a protective film on it. Will be interesting to see if the film helps, I am doubtful.
The film I had installed has a windshield warranty as part of the deal. If it breaks they pay.
Also it’s a tell tale for stone chip damage as the film will be deformed or at least marked for that level of glass damage. So in my mind if mine breaks and the film is perfectly ok then it’s evidence of the glass being at issue.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I’m very saddened to hear of all these lower central windscreen cracking issues on our North American friends’ vehicles! 😞
I understand that all these are petrol engines and recall some posts mentioning that the heater temperature is higher on petrol engines?
If this is so, could we also survey how many examples of the same type of crack we are seeing on diesel engined vehicles please?
Would be interesting to see if this is a common issue on across both fuel types? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it easy to put out a member survey for this type of thing Stu Barnes or Krabby?
Happy to do this if it is 😁👍🏼
Pedro
I’ll
Great idea l’ll put one together later today.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The film I had installed has a windshield warranty as part of the deal. If it breaks they pay.

That sounds like a good, reassuring, deal. I presume you have to pay up first and they reimburse. In the UK most insurance policy include windscreen cover and we just pay the first £50. But that bring up the question of "double jeopardy". Who pays, the insurance and the firm cover the £50. Or does the firm accept full responsibility

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
@Eric - My insurance does not cover glass specifically, it falls under my comprehensive coverage which has a $500 deductible (excess). So I’m not interested in replacing a screen every year (or more).

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Eric - My insurance does not cover glass specifically, it falls under my comprehensive coverage which has a $500 deductible (excess). So I’m not interested in replacing a screen every year (or more).
That's the difference between US and UK I suppose. Most UK insurers cover it, they have their preferred repairers. You just call the repair and pay the £50 (or £100 depending on company) excess and that's it. Doesn't affect your no claims bonus (NCB)

AWo

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
I am wondering if Ineos have a new glass supplier as I haven't seen much talk about glass cracks on the earlier European and Australian cars. Perhaps adding the chassis numbers when reporting glass failures so we can see if there is a trend .
If it is glued it can be a mounting issue not a quality of glass one.

AWo

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
@Eric I'm not too sure, I'll have to check ut the documentation from the film company. But my excess (deductible) is $500 for glass....

AWo

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
I just had a chat with my workshop hirer, who is an experienced car glass guy. He told me, that if a stone cracks a windscreen, almost always only the outer glass pane is affected. In that case the heater can increase the crack. But an undamaged windscreen (which was mounted correctly and where no other problems exist) can not be cracked by the heater. In summer it has to take much hotter conditions and a heater is not a new invention, so car glass manufacturers know about them and which stress they produce with all these temperature differences etc.

I showed him the pictures and he said, he often saw this kind of cracks. The root cause can be:

- rust - Windscreens do not tolerate too much steady pressure against their surface, especially at their edges. If rust produces pressure it can be too much stress over time and it will crack like this, most of the time, both panes crack (inner and outer one).
- welding fissure - If there is a welding fissure (too big) it has the same effect as rust. I creates a steady pressure against the flat surface which leads to a crack. He saw this kind of crack often at the Fiat Ducato and it was a manufacturing problem (which was fixed by Fiat).
- torsion - if for whatever reason reoccuring torsions are transferred against the surface (like the rust and the welding fissure) it can also cause stress which leads to a crack
- hard bed - If the windscreen is glued onto a too hard embedment which allows no movement, stress from the chassis is transferred onto the windscreen, causing fatigue cracks

It would be interesting to know, if the North American body differs from the European one and the petrol from the diesel. In general that could be the case due to different crash requirements. That could be an explanation why (as far as I know) only North American cars are affected.

AWo

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also it’s a tell tale for stone chip damage as the film will be deformed or at least marked for that level of glass damage. So in my mind if mine breaks and the film is perfectly ok then it’s evidence of the glass being at issue.
Hi Stu, What type of window film did you get and where. Approx Pricing?
DaBull

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
Got hit by a stubb from a winter tyre yesterday resulting in a big mark which later cracked (while parked).

Ineos has 0 windshields in Sweden. Delivery 4-12 weeks. 😖😖😖
That’s a shame! 😞
Just to add a little reassurance for you ….
Being VERY experienced in this issue from my JLR vehicles ( exactly same manufacturer spec from Pilkington) - I was advised it was perfectly safe to drive around with even a 70cm crack in my windshield for months! And I did too 👍🏼
Just stay away from reindeer if you’re near Käbdalis or further north 😆

Back
Top Bottom