The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Should I ? - Wheels

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
On the inside I think - will they all come with white on the outside, ask the customer what they want or will the agent handle this?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
I understood globalgregors was meaning alu rivnuts into alu?? I ie same/same.
Yes, I understood what he meant.

But at some point you have to fix the object in question, i.e. use a screw. And that's where it happens, and it could be "contagious" to the surrounding materials. Even if you didn't use a screw but riveted directly, the object being mounted, if it's made of iron, will itself behave like an iron screw. With any luck, the things paint will hold up, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

But at some point you have to fix the object in question, i.e. use a screw. And that's where it happens, and it could be "contagious" to the surrounding materials. Even if you didn't use a screw but riveted directly, the object being mounted, if it's made of iron, will itself behave like an iron screw. With any luck, the things paint will hold up, but I wouldn't count on it.
And how ist f.e. the Airline in the back fitted? Just Glue or? Doors? Table in the real door? Seats? The problem alloy-steel-connection is everywhere...?!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I really haven't been able to decide and probably won't until I have a car to view but in a perfect world we should be able to remove covers and get into that tail light cavity and yes stainless screws would be optimal, pending on the metal it is going through. If it is aluminum you have to coat the stainless to stop corrosion or rethink...I also need to know if the ladder will be an issue when the door is opened...happy motoring
A few years ago I recall seeing a rear light grill type protector for my MB G W460 that didn't need to be screwed into the rear panel.

I believe the grill somehow clipped into the light surround opening.

I will look for it.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

This is all well outside my competence… is anodising sufficient to prevent the galvanic interaction, or does there rather need to be some membrane or gasket? I was thinking about this in the context of attaching accesories.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And how ist f.e. the Airline in the back fitted? Just Glue or? Doors? Table in the real door? Seats? The problem alloy-steel-connection is everywhere...?!
That is correct.

The Grenadier has the same requirements as modern aircraft because of the combination of aluminum and steel. Aircraft (and to some extent the Grenadier) use technologies that are simply not available for private DIY projects. For example, adhesives are used and the aluminum parts are separated from the steel parts by additional layers of non-corrosive materials (di-electric layers), e.g. plastic bushings. ;)

In addition, critical parts in aircraft must be maintained for safety reasons and often they get simply replaced on a regular basis according to a maintenance schedule with adequate safety margins.

So it's a combination of high-tech materials, chemicals and production measures that counteract the problem. But in reality, it's not definitively solved, only mitigated. Or, in the case of aircraft, it is "under control".

For a somewhat more elaborate look (about steel, aluminium and the effects of their electric potentials), please see here.

(it's a mixed German/English article. Feel free to translate to your needs with deepl or google).

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
damn my balls of steel!

shall have to wear some krypto pants

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Be careful! If they are made of stainless steel you really shouldn’t wear trousers out of other metal!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't such a protection rather meant against bushes and branches?

Because driving backwards against a wall or another car will of course damage more than the protector can handle.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't such a protection rather meant against bushes and branches?

Because driving backwards against a wall or another car will of course damage more than the protector can handle.
Normally its to show that you are able to drive on a gravel road.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lugging a Peli case up the ladder, walking round the vehicle carrying a spade, shackle, hi lift jack whilst in slippery mud...

Plenty of real occasions for those who will actually use the vehicle.
Do not take it to serious DCPU! Of course there are a lot of reasons in favor. by the way not only in the bush!
Today I met a parcel driver whose back light was an aquarium. For a second I thought about buying some goldfish as the Sprinter has quite a big back light unit which was broken in the upper fifth the lower part is transparent and the fish would have had a good view while driving through the city.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a steel wheel person. And now , so is Ronny!
I can symphasise
I'm a steel wheel person. And now , so is Ronny!
i can sympathis, having had on one day three punctures in a day in Northern Namibia. Then the following day having had my tyres replaced , felt a terrible wobbling so stoped to check. One wheel stud left on front left and all other nuts loose on other wheels. Should have checked them more often as the corrugated roads were loosening the nuts as hadn’t been done up tight enough. Lesson learned. I thought it was just bad roads causing the wobble and noise until road workers flagged me down 😳

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
, having had on one day three punctures in a day in Northern Namibia. Then the following day having had my tyres replaced , felt a terrible wobbling so stoped to check. One wheel stud left on front left and all other nuts loose on other wheels. Should have checked them more often as the corrugated roads were loosening the nuts as hadn’t been done up tight enough. Lesson learned. I thought it was just bad roads causing the wobble and noise until road workers flagged me down 😳
Someone will ask if the IG comes with a "wheel nut monitoring system". Apart from the one behind the steering wheel!
Thus far I have been lucky enough not to lose a wheel , though loose nut? Yep!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If corrugations cause lose nuts, perhaps some drips of mild (222) Locktite might help?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see those a lot in Germany as well. Easy to check an cheap to replace!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And remember to check wheel nuts yourself after having wheels removed for servicing or tyre changes. Never had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom