The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Should I ? - Wheels

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Correct. But there is a guarantee that the Wrangler/Gladiator are unreliable and unsafe.
At least in Australia.
Chrysler has pulled out of Australia and while Jeep has stayed sales of less than 10,000 vehicles can't be at all interesting for the group.
I couldn't imaging driving one on tar roads for 8 hours, let alone corrugated dirt roads.
C’mon Dave, there’s lots on offer on the other side of ‘reliable’, ‘safe’ and ’comfortable’! :)

My short wheelbase JK Wrangler was one of my favourite cars. Sure, it had the range of a motorcycle and was probably about as safe. But either living by the beach or bouncing around the Strzelecki with no roof - sunburned, deafened and covered in dust - life was being lived!

Man, I loved that vehicle. If the Grenadier matches it as a driving experience I’ll be delighted.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
C’mon Dave, there’s lots on offer on the other side of ‘reliable’, ‘safe’ and ’comfortable’! :)

My short wheelbase JK Wrangler was one of my favourite cars. Sure, it had the range of a motorcycle and was probably about as safe. But either living by the beach or bouncing around the Strzelecki with no roof - sunburned, deafened and covered in dust - life was being lived!

Man, I loved that vehicle. If the Grenadier matches it as a driving experience I’ll be delighted.
I have owned 3 Suzuki soft tops and one Holden Drover long wheel base soft top and they were great fun.
I wouldn't want to drive 8 hours on the highway in one though

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I havent seen any photos of the PT02 vehicles with the 17 inch alloys. They all seem to be running with the steel rims or the 18 inch alloys.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Slow the speed down.
I have chosen the 17" alloys with the K02 tyres which sadly they don't show.
1667089406550.png

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi

I have answered this several times and each time slightly differently.
  1. I am about to turn 60 and I am looking for a new car that will last me 20 years
  2. I will be moving to the country by the sea in January 2023
  3. The new vehicle needs to meet a wide range of needs such as
    1. long drives on the highway and back roads
    2. Visits to Fraser island driving on the sand
    3. gravel and dirt roads in the country, rural areas and national parks
    4. trips to hardware and landscape supplies
    5. picking up international business visitors from airport/hotel
    6. customer site visits at mines, treatment plants, construction sites and chemical plants
    7. Shops, restaurants and general running around.
    8. I like quirky and interesting vehicles only.
    9. Has to look good not round and bland.
    10. Needed to have a bull bar and driving light capability.
    11. Wanted a wagon not a UTE
  4. I spent two years test driving all sorts of vehicles and could not find a single one that met most of these needs, until I found the Grenadier on YouTube in February this year.
    1. Landcruiser/Prado - excellent vehicles but as exciting as the midday news.
    2. Landrover new Defender - I doubt will last 10 years let alone 20 and too much electronics and gismo's
    3. Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator- poor build quality, on road performance, safety rating and reliability that Jeep will stay in Australia
    4. Mercedes - GLC/GLE/G Wagon - too expensive and can't do any offroad in reality
    5. BMW same as MB
    6. Old Defender - seriously considered until the prices went stupid.
    7. Grenadier - seems to meet most/all of my requirements
I’m exactly the same Dave except Frazer is but I do heaps of beach driving here in the west.
The only addition is I’ll get a set of steel rims (speedys if I can get them to fit) in addition to the alloys I’ve ordered with some muddies for desert travel.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m exactly the same Dave except Frazer is but I do heaps of beach driving here in the west.
The only addition is I’ll get a set of steel rims (speedys if I can get them to fit) in addition to the alloys I’ve ordered with some muddies for desert travel.
I just booked a drive in Perth on the 10th.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A drive of what - the Grenadier?

EDIT: Lucky man - I just saw the other post.

A tax deductible trip to drive the Grenadier - can't get better than that
Not tax deductible. Fully paid for by my company including hotels, meals, airfares and hire cars.
Melbourne Monday Tuesday
Perth Wednesday & Thursday then 6am flight back to Sydney then Gold Coast

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered the Belstaff Trialmaster in Donny grey.

As everyone knows these come with the steel 17” wheels as standard with the BFG’s

I have since configured the IG with the 17” alloy wheels from the Fieldmaster. I am hooked now. They are another £500 roughly speaking but I am cancelling the OEM seat covers which are about the same price. The alloys look great and lift the vehicle appearance.

Do I order them or not. I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons. My initial thought is it would be cheaper to buy steel wheels on the aftermarket than it would be to get a set of alloys should the need arise.

Also they alloys are lighter and will make a small difference on MPG.

Anything else I should consider and who else is thinking the same ?
I like the look of steel wheels in some vehicles but I think the Grenadier ones just don’t look quite right. To my eye the 17” alloys with the BFG tyres are the best looking of all the choices. Alloys are lighter, the 18” will be the lighest wheel tyre combo, but I don’t like the look of the Grenadier 18” with fake beadlock. Some make the point that steelies are able to bash back into shape with a hammer offroad, but counter point to that is that alloy is stronger and less likely to deform in the first place. In either case you will likely have to replace when you get home because even the steelie will probably never be completely true again.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had alloys on my Benz. After 22 winters with salt on the roads they look so ugly that I'll not buy alloys any more. You can not restore them which is possible with steel rims: Sandblast and powdering will help. And even if not steel is less costly to replace.

So I decided for steel rims. And off road they can stand more punishing.

Admittedly, the alloys look indeed good. But I'm too old for such whim-wham.
Depending on the alloys, many of them can be refurbished, but probably only worthwhile if originality is important as aftermarket replacement will usually be cheaper and less hassle as it is an instant changover.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is on a tidal creek.
So when the tide is going out he water is fresh and almost no salt.
When it is coming back in the water is brackish, so salt but not heavy.
You can't smell salt
Have a look at the Grenadier Australia original video on Fraser Island

View attachment 7794607

View attachment 7794608
View attachment 7794609
I have a place a little further South on Lake Cootharaba, but I have been doing beach driving for decades an all me vehicles except for my first Suzuki, have had alloys and none have been noticably affected by salt. Curb rash etc from unnamed others driving them yes, but not salt.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I havent seen any photos of the PT02 vehicles with the 17 inch alloys. They all seem to be running with the steel rims or the 18 inch alloys.

Attachments

• 40F57BE9-1276-4C0D-A044-BE47B2C163CF.jpeg
    40F57BE9-1276-4C0D-A044-BE47B2C163CF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom