The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Should I ? - Wheels

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
Those pictured are the steel rims, was that the intention?

I share the belief that a catastrophic impact that would destroy an alloy wheel intended for 4WD use would typically also damage a steel equivalent beyond further use, emphasising this is pure speculation as side-by-side testing is difficult.

As you say, the difference being that a steel rim with either inboard or outboard rim damage within reason can be dealt with trail side while equivalently minor damage to an alloy wheel (eg a crack to the inboard rim only) wants a TIG/MIG welder which might not be to hand.

Even minor cracking of the outboard rim or a spoke is a structural failure on an alloy and is to my knowledge irreparable... but I stress I've only ever seen it happen on SUVs. I presume Ineos alloys will be suitably robust.

I see the ADF/Army G-Wagon fleet operate alloys and carry a single spare... Bundeswehr G-Wagen versions have steel beadlock type things like the Tonka truck at bottom.

20200723raaf8194170_0348.jpegRheinmetall-Eurosatory-2022-Airborne-Vehicle-Family-1200x731.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those pictured are the steel rims, was that the intention?

I share the belief that a catastrophic impact that would destroy an alloy wheel intended for 4WD use would typically also damage a steel equivalent beyond further use, emphasising this is pure speculation as side-by-side testing is difficult.

As you say, the difference being that a steel rim with either inboard or outboard rim damage within reason can be dealt with trail side while equivalently minor damage to an alloy wheel (eg a crack to the inboard rim only) wants a TIG/MIG welder which might not be to hand.

Even minor cracking of the outboard rim or a spoke is a structural failure on an alloy and is to my knowledge irreparable... but I stress I've only ever seen it happen on SUVs. I presume Ineos alloys will be suitably robust.

I see the ADF/Army G-Wagon fleet operate alloys and carry a single spare... Bundeswehr G-Wagen versions have steel beadlock type things like the Tonka truck at bottom.

View attachment 7795459View attachment 7795460
Note: a few ideas for the utility rails there as well, gents! :ROFLMAO:

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Funny looking alloys there 😅

Reactions: Max

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Max - those rear light protectors are held by metal screws into the rear panel?

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Max - those rear light protectors are held by metal screws into the rear panel?
I really haven't been able to decide and probably won't until I have a car to view but in a perfect world we should be able to remove covers and get into that tail light cavity and yes stainless screws would be optimal, pending on the metal it is going through. If it is aluminum you have to coat the stainless to stop corrosion or rethink...I also need to know if the ladder will be an issue when the door is opened...happy motoring

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
If it is aluminum you have to coat the stainless to stop corrosion or rethink...
Won't perhaps work. If you tighten the screws, they will likely get into contact with the alloy.

Plastic bushings would do (functionally similar to dowels).

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
Aluminium rivnuts?
Sounds good. But the problem is two different metals. When moisture is added, they form a battery and the flowing current will erode the inferior material. If you screw an iron-based bolt into aluminum, even if it's a rivet nut, the problem surfaces.

This is the old standard enemy of the (real) Defenders.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
Sounds good. But the problem is two different metals. When moisture is added, they form a battery and the flowing current will erode the inferior material. If you screw an iron-based bolt into aluminum, even if it's a rivet nut, the problem surfaces.

This is the old standard enemy of the (real) Defenders.
I understood globalgregors was meaning alu rivnuts into alu?? I ie same/same.

I've had many a problem with alu into steel requiring acid baths 😵‍💫

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is the tyres come with white lettering on one side and black on the other so you can choose which way you prefer
White lettering on the inside for me.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
White lettering on the inside for me.
Still undecided on the white lettering. Will run them as delivered until fit my winter wheels/tyres and then have them reversed if needs be at the tyre shop when pick up the muds

Back
Top Bottom