The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rumors of upcoming price hike

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I have long said that I wanted a "modern Defender" - meaning a proper Defender that is contemporary in 2023 - and I think there are plenty of LR converts out there (I suppose including Sir Jim himself) in agreement. But there's a part of me that doesn't agree totally with the IG ethos in that I am not opposed to, and therefore may miss, things that were conscientiously omitted. Just ask @Stu_Barnes about the purposeful omission of a vanity mirror.
Relax @Krabby … I see you teetering on this and other posts.

Ineos’ heard you and interpreted “modern” in the way that you now see, and have ordered. It’ll be awesome.

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
To the point that the latest price increase re-positions the IG within the market, into a mall-crawler buying group … I don’t think this is Ineos’ intent, as some have suggested. This thinking implies the mall-crawler/ Chelsea-tractor types are more cashed up than the off-roader die-hards.

Not so… as @DaveB alludes to. There are some seriously exxy cars/rigs touring around Australia (‘79 cruisers with mods taking them easily over 200k). People seem to be able to find almost infinite resources for 4wds.

Personally I think price rises are simply a fact of life, that this is what the car costs… to build, to sell at a reasonable profit.

The grief will pass.
Also.. the mall crawler crowd don't have to worry about scratching up/damaging a vehicle while using it.

My Defender is covered in dents and schatches which is ok on a cheap vehicle.

Local time
Reaction score
Can you operate a tape-measure? I can (and have)
Nah it's more complex than that. It's **really** tight. If the car was the same height the whole way it wouldn't fit. It's height at a particular distance from the garage entry.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
I agree with you. The Gren feels akin to the H1 market before military cosplay came into being.
Are we talking initial H1 market? Or "Oh you can get a 350 in that thing?" H1 market? Or "lets throw a Duramax in it, give it a cool military sounding word at the end and double the price" H1 Market? :LOL:

Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
Strong disagree.

It’s just a car-sized car… I’ll be seeing IG’s at the beach, in the regions, in the city, on the farm, at the airport, the parade ground…
I cant comment on other markets, I was referring to the American market.

Reactions: Sam
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
Are we talking initial H1 market? Or "Oh you can get a 350 in that thing?" H1 market? Or "lets throw a Duramax in it, give it a cool military sounding word at the end and double the price" H1 Market? :LOL:
Whatever market you want to call it but keep in mind they sold less than 3k units per year I believe.
Im sorry I sold mine.
I heard it made its new home in S. Africa.

Edit....Actually they had duramax engines. Depends on year.
The early ones had 350s in them I believe.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just spent several thousand dollars putting a new door on my garage to make it fit 🙄
In a bacon and egg breakfast, what's the difference between the chicken and the pig? Answer: The chicken is involved, but the pig is COMMITTED!

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
With all this dialog is there a provided solution from INEOS?:

1. Why the prices have increased? - INEOS company answer, not the forum answer.

2. Will the MSRP for the 2023 and prior pre-order from individuals be honored?

3. What is the format for the order confirmation for the pre-order - phone call, email, other?

If this all has been covered in here or another post I apologize, but I didn’t apparently see it.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With all this dialog is there a provided solution from INEOS?:

1. Why the prices have increased? - INEOS company answer, not the forum answer.

2. Will the MSRP for the 2023 and prior pre-order from individuals be honored?

3. What is the format for the order confirmation for the pre-order - phone call, email, other?

If this all has been covered in here or another post I apologize, but I didn’t apparently see it.

1) Every car manufacturer raises their prices annually.
2) US Models will all by MY24, we already "had" our price bump.
3) US Specifically, Ineos will call you

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
For those that haven't seen it yet, there is a new Sales Brochure to download off the Ineos website as well.

I think it's got a few errors in it as well - I reckon they got the student part timer to proof read it. A few inconsistencies between it and the new price list in terms of what is standard and option on the new models.
Also I think some of the technical and spec data is incorrect between models.

Last edited:
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
anand of course. You have it all figured out... Maryland.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I would be happy, but reading the clauses at the bottom of the order it is clearly indicated that the prices are indicative and not binding.
the final price is the one indicated in the contract to be signed.
I wrote to my dealership yesterday.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
After the US price bump (there never was a 2023 price officially announced for N America) there were a LOT of hands going down on here. It was a very sad week to be on the forum. It took significant soul searching and flat-out self deception and rationalization (a purely passion driven buying decision) for me to stay with it. I really wish Ineos had extended a better value to all of those initial reservation holders. Such a lost opportunity really.
I’m not all doom and gloom though. Ineos is used to being extremely profitable. Sir Jim didn’t get where he is by giving discounts. But I do fear that they’re reaching over their own heads a bit now. It’s my philosophy that one must earn it first. Durability, longevity, robustness of design, undeniable build quality. Build that. Sell that. Support that. Then you can charge these prices. The margin between what they initially announced and what they’re asking for a 2024 model year is not yet supported by the product they offer. I have no doubt whatsoever that the person putting the prices on these knows that they are not worth it , as things stand. They’re trying to see what they can get away with. Pure business school style. I am not blaming them, but I do think they lose some credibility and even a large degree of customer sympathy. At the announced prices, how forgiving will their customers be? I sincerely hope they get this figured out quickly. It’s too great a story to screw it up.

Local time
Reaction score
Sadly l've had to pull out, my configuration (basic 5-seat utility with the minimum options) is now close to £70,000.

Which is an increase of £9,000. lt's just out of reach for me now.

Back
Top Bottom