The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rumors of upcoming price hike

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Seit meiner Bestellung (Vertrag 10-2022) zwei Preiserhöhungen. Bezahlte ich noch 68.800 Euro, würde das gleich ausgestattete Modell heute (13.07.2023) über 81.000 Euro kosten.
Schnäppchen gemacht? Nö, denn ich habe ja noch keinen Spurhalteassistenten.... ;)

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
Same thing happened with the new Defender.

l ordered mine in January 2022 at £51,000

In August the price increased to £55,000

Placed an order with a deposit? Tough. You can either pony up the extra £4,000 or have your deposit back.

There was a lot of discontent on the Land Rover forum but nothing could be done, in the end l had to pay an extra £4,000 to get the vehicle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Same thing happened with the new Defender.

l ordered mine in January 2022 at £51,000

In August the price increased to £55,000

Placed an order with a deposit? Tough. You can either pony up the extra £4,000 or have your deposit back.

There was a lot of discontent on the Land Rover forum but nothing could be done, in the end l had to pay an extra £4,000 to get the vehicle.
Ineos are holding the price at what it was when you ordered.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
so if the order has been confirmed but the contract has not yet been signed, is there a price increase?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just went into configurator to see how much my ordered vehicle would be now and you can't select the same options anymore.
So the Fieldmaster without the aux battery or 17" alloys has gone from my order price of AUD$121,116 on road to AUD$148,398 on road.
Doing my exact spec from a base model comes to AUD$146,737
My spec based on Trialmaster comes to AUD$146,655
So the Fieldmaster is now definitely the mall crawler with a subwoofer more important than an auxiliary battery and 18" alloys the only wheel choice.
1689274284543.png1689274371261.png1689274566613.png
1689274957310.png1689275362264.png

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Think its been posted before elsewhere, but my spec of Trialmaster has jumped from £66k to £81k since initial release. Notice the Quartermaster Trialmaster is around £3k cheaper than a Grenadier!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I regret nothing about my early order decision, now that the price is $20k higher and I am 2 years closer to retirement I would probably have been out at the current prices. Would certainly have had to think a lot harder. If they didn’t have the LCT exemption in Australia for these, the price would be close to $170k which does a lots of mods to a LandCruiser, puts it right up there with a very well specced New Defender and a G Wagen doesn’t look so far away anymore

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I regret nothing about my early order decision, now that the price is $20k higher and I am 2 years closer to retirement I would probably have been out at the current prices. Would certainly have had to think a lot harder. If they didn’t have the LCT exemption in Australia for these, the price would be close to $170k which does a lots of mods to a LandCruiser, puts it right up there with a very well specced New Defender and a G Wagen doesn’t look so far away anymore
Yeah
I had set a limit at about $120K for a new vehicle and the Mercedes GLE Coupe was just in reach.
Then they decided to only bring in the GLE 53 AMG Coupe at $143K and that ruled it out for me.
Now they have dropped the AMG version and only bring in the GLE450 Coupe starting at $168K
To be honest it is a beautiful vehicle but totally impractical
The Grenadier at $148K would definitely be out of my range

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With the MY24 price increase, it seems as though INEOS have repositioned the car in the marketplace.
It appears that even the most die hard members on the forum have said that they would be struggling to justify it at the new pricing. I know that I would be one who probably wouldn’t consider the vehicle at todays pricing.
So where does this leave the future of the vehicle? How are the Agents feeling about their investments? Are they wondering where future sales are coming from? I know comparatively there hasn’t been many new orders forthcoming since the initial batch of hand-raisers, even prior to the MY24 rise. Will there be less ongoing investment in servicing locations across the country to look after the initial purchasers?
All of this within the grips of a global recession too.

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
I think this vehicle will be a very tough sell after the die hards.
Sure, there's a market for upscale expensive trucks, but only those that combine luxury in the mix.
The new Defender does well but it also appeals to well funded soccer moms and comfortable folks who want something "rugged." (Or the perception of something rugged.). Most Defenders I have seen dont even have their off road tire package. My dealer said no one orders them that way.
But it has status cred.
The G Wagon, same thing, it's a luxo barge first and it appeals to rap stars, soccer moms and everything in between.
The Grenadier is more niche.
Much more niche.
I see this as very similar to the original Defender and the Hummer H1.
For me, (I owned 2 H1s), and most of the folks here thats a good thing but I think after the initial rush take a look at how the Hummer H1 and original Defender sold here.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think this vehicle will be a very tough sell after the die hards.
Sure, there's a market for upscale expensive trucks, but only those that combine luxury in the mix.
The new Defender does well but it also appeals to well funded soccer moms and comfortable folks who want something "rugged." (Or the perception of something rugged.). Most Defenders I have seen dont even have their off road tire package. My dealer said no one orders them that way.
But it has status cred.
The G Wagon, same thing, it's a luxo barge first and it appeals to rap stars, soccer moms and everything in between.
Much more niche.
For me, (I owned 2 H1s), and most of the folks here thats a good thing but I think after the initial rush take a look at how the Hummer H1 and original Defender sold here.
We have two ends of the spectrum here
The people who want high end luxury and soccer mums.
Those that want a robust, reliable simple vehicle as a starting point to build on for overlanding or serious 4wding.
We have a huge population of gray nomads who retire, often sell their house, hook up an overloaded caravan and travel continuously around the country.

The first lot buy luxury, or lower priced but highly specced, SUV's that never go offroad.

The second lot buy 70 series landcruisers or dual cab utes
The gray nomads buy the more competent older style suv's or dual cab utes and don't really want thrills and features.
They want reliability and practicality.
they don't usually do any serious offroading they just want towing ability and capability to handle gravel and rural roads.

Local time
Reaction score
Prices have just gone up substantially on Australian configurator.

You snooze you lose 🤷🏼‍♂️
Actually.. I wanted to see a production model and have a proper test drive before I committed to such a large expenditure. I think that's prudent. I keep cars a long time.

We're up to price rise three before I've even seen a production model in the flesh. oh well.

Reactions: CB

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
We have two ends of the spectrum here
The people who want high end luxury and soccer mums.
Those that want a robust, reliable simple vehicle as a starting point to build on for overlanding or serious 4wding.
I think things in the States are quite complex but we certainly have people who fit into both of these categories.

I have mixed emotions about all of it TBH. I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that I'm both a fan and victim of owning things that are far more capable than anything I will ever do with them. I'm never going to be a million miles deep in the ocean, but knowing my watch can handle it is somehow comforting. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I've always been that way.

I have long said that I wanted a "modern Defender" - meaning a proper Defender that is contemporary in 2023 - and I think there are plenty of LR converts out there (I suppose including Sir Jim himself) in agreement. But there's a part of me that doesn't agree totally with the IG ethos in that I am not opposed to, and therefore may miss, things that were conscientiously omitted. Just ask @Stu_Barnes about the purposeful omission of a vanity mirror.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
To the point that the latest price increase re-positions the IG within the market, into a mall-crawler buying group … I don’t think this is Ineos’ intent, as some have suggested. This thinking implies the mall-crawler/ Chelsea-tractor types are more cashed up than the off-roader die-hards.

Not so… as @DaveB alludes to. There are some seriously exxy cars/rigs touring around Australia (‘79 cruisers with mods taking them easily over 200k). People seem to be able to find almost infinite resources for 4wds.

Personally I think price rises are simply a fact of life, that this is what the car costs… to build, to sell at a reasonable profit.

The grief will pass.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Personally I think price rises are simply a fact of life, that this is what the car costs… to build, to sell at a reasonable profit.
This.... All of this.

Annual price increases are a normal thing across all brands and all models; some more, some less, but they all go up every year.

Here in the US, the Grenadier certainly isn't a budget-minded vehicle; but it is still less than what some could call competitors in each of the buyer-types that they are targeting.

Reactions: Sam

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Much more niche.

Strong disagree.

It’s just a car-sized car… I’ll be seeing IG’s at the beach, in the regions, in the city, on the farm, at the airport, the parade ground…

Back
Top Bottom