The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rock Slider Steps

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
I had a rummage on the "spare parts" shelf and found a few spare clamps bought for another project but never used:
WP_20230513_156.jpg

And quite by chance they are a pretty good fit onto the rock sliders:
WP_20230513_157.jpg

So, I have a number of variations of fitting them with a step to allow easier access for passengers:
WP_20230513_158.jpgWP_20230513_159.jpgWP_20230513_161.jpg

The only issue is whether the clamping force will be enough to stop them rotating when stood on, or I'll need to drill and tap a screw into the underside to stop that happening?

Size of step something like this:
WP_20230513_161 - step.jpg

Question is, what should the step be made of?

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a rummage on the "spare parts" shelf and found a few spare clamps bought for another project but never used:
View attachment 7811774

View attachment 7811775

So, I have a number of variations of fitting them with a step to allow easier access for passengers:
View attachment 7811776View attachment 7811777View attachment 7811778
Damn they will be good. I wish i had gone with Rock sliders now instead of side steps

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7811774

View attachment 7811775

The only issue is whether the clamping force will be enough to stop them rotating when stood on, or I'll need to drill and tap a screw into the underside to stop that happening?

Easy to fit but looks too narrow, maybe not long enough (protruding out) and looks yeah......nah

Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
I like this idea. I wonder if there will be some "made for" products like this available with a few tweaks. are you going to spray them so your feet won't slip.

I'm starting to think that the rs or side steps might be better served by waiting for the right aftermarket product. although I was leaning steps more and more everyday

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like this idea. I wonder if there will be some "made for" products like this available with a few tweaks. are you going to spray them so your feet won't slip.

I'm starting to think that the rs or side steps might be better served by waiting for the right aftermarket product. although I was leaning steps more and more everyday
I'm sure there will be, but I've got to start from where I am; and I like tinkering. Not sure of the top coating/product. I'm sure there's something from this website that will work well:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7811774

View attachment 7811775

View attachment 7811784

They won't rotate if you extend the plate under the sill
btw what's the OD of the rail?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They won't rotate if you extend the plate under the sill
I'll check the clearance, I guess if I get something thick enough; or use spacers below that would work; but a 3mm section of chequer plate would probably rotate until it was caught and sit at a jaunty angle?
btw what's the OD of the rail?
I'll add it to my list...

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7811774

View attachment 7811775

View attachment 7811784

Well, if they are rock sliders that slide over rocks, that part will make you hang tight and not slip.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, if they are rock sliders that slide over rocks, that part will make you hang tight and not slip.
Cunningly, being just clamped on, they will unclamp when required.

It's all about that compromise though, isn't it?

My Mrs wants to open the door and throw this out, one end tied around the seat legs:
images.jpg

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7811774

View attachment 7811775

View attachment 7811784

Do you have the supplier of where to get these clamps from? I cant find them. I will probably wait till you try them out first :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have the supplier of where to get these clamps from? I cant find them. I will probably wait till you try them out first :)
Google search brings up some options. I wonder if these ones could be modded?

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm struggling to remember ~ probably bought more than 10 years ago, but I think they came from a UK company called Protection & Performance. However, they were aquired by Safety Devices last year.

The clamps are just fancy anodised aluminium designed to clamp onto 2" roll cage tube. There are plenty to choose from depending on your pocket and what you actually want:

Safety Devices Single Aluminium Expedition Roll Cage Accessory/Rack Mount Clamp
Screenshot_20230514_190533_com.ebay.mobile.jpgScreenshot_20230514_190607_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm struggling to remember ~ probably bought more than 10 years ago, but I think they came from a UK company called Protection & Performance. However, they were aquired by Safety Devices last year.

The clamps are just fancy anodised aluminium designed to clamp onto 2" roll cage tube. There are plenty to choose from depending on your pocket and what you actually want:

Safety Devices Single Aluminium Expedition Roll Cage Accessory/Rack Mount Clamp
View attachment 7811858View attachment 7811859
Thanks DCPU, these form Safety Devices might do the trick, not as elegant as your original ones though.
IMAG1568_1024x1024.jpg

https://shop.safetydevices.com/collections/fixings/products/roof-tent-bracket-for-external-roll-cage

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I like the simplicity but I feel like it would be ultimately better to fabricate (or get) some side steps and weld them on.

That said, I am a terrible welder so will not be attempting this :D .

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are folks really anticipating putting their Grenadier in places where they're expecting to slide over rock ledges etc or are the rock sliders intended for their 2000kg load bearing capacity in some other way?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Are folks really anticipating putting their Grenadier in places where they're expecting to slide over rock ledges etc or are the rock sliders intended for their 2000kg load bearing capacity in some other way?
Mine are to stop children , oldies and dogs getting in.

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I am. I bent the factory sidesteps on my current car on the first trip out when sliding into a deep rut

Back
Top Bottom