The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rock Slider Steps

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
Are folks really anticipating putting their Grenadier in places where they're expecting to slide over rock ledges etc or are the rock sliders intended for their 2000kg load bearing capacity in some other way?
Yep (although I’ve gone steps here). Unfortunately if I don’t invariably I need to buy a new set of (Toyota type aluminum) steps before I sell a vehicle.

I don’t do the sort of rock hopping I used to, but I don’t let damage to steps stop me from getting somewhere I want to go so it’s a decent investment. That said I don’t expect to do anything too silly these days.

Hopefully the IG side steps are solid enough to protect the sills from most things but will obviously cop more punishment than the sliders will.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Thanks DCPU, these form Safety Devices might do the trick, not as elegant as your original ones though.
IMAG1568_1024x1024.jpg

https://shop.safetydevices.com/collections/fixings/products/roof-tent-bracket-for-external-roll-cage
I think I might like them better. 👍

With a step on top, nobody's going to see most of it.

Safety Devices always seem to be middling in terms of quality but absolutely top end on pricing.

I might look a little further into some of the other offroad fabricators in the UK and see what the other options are.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Are folks really anticipating putting their Grenadier in places where they're expecting to slide over rock ledges etc or are the rock sliders intended for their 2000kg load bearing capacity in some other way?
Yes - 4-wheeling in the north east of America is rife with rocks; those at the NY drive event will concur.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure about rock ledges. Other benefits for me are protection for the lower panels and as a jacking point for recoveries.

Had some big hits on the lower panels on the RTW - ran over a large boulder lurking in fech fech, ran out of ramp over crossing culverts, went over a washout on the steppe. The DS has underbody armor which performed as designed, and sacrificial plastic panels on the doors that can absorb a big whack and then pop off. Each time they were fine to reattach, but one of those events cost us a tyre and wheel rim, and although it’s not visible the DS’ rear valance is retained by cable ties and fencing wire.

I was concerned that with the heavier vehicle and metal panels I might not avoid damage in similar situations.

Expecting jungles on the next trip so the jacking point also seemed prudent.

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Absolutely yes. Sliders have been a lifesaver on my Landcruiser 200. Western US has many areas where large ledges and boulders are part of the journey. Stock tire size on the Grenadier makes sliders even more important imo.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
@DCPU got you a solution. It even has anti skid for muddy access

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
isn't there an aftermarket combo rock slider/step that comes down when you open the door and retracts back up when you close it?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
isn't there an aftermarket combo rock slider/step that comes down when you open the door and retracts back up when you close it?
Would never put one on a real offroader, they really are not strong enough to be sliders and just another electrical thing to go wrong.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score

Here's a company that makes Rock Sliders that have automatically deploying integrated side steps. Perhaps they will add the Grenadier to their current vehicle line up.

Rock Slider Engineering Step Sliders
https://rockslideengineering.com

Rock Slider Engineering Step Sliders YouTube Video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6DbR5T6960

In regards to Rock Sliders with steps or attachable / detachable steps,
BlackSheep Innovations makes items for the Grenadier including rock slider that allows a high lift jack to be fitted and side steps that bolt on and off to their rock sliders.
https://shop.blacksheep-innovations.com/Rockslider-Ineos-Grenadier.html
Note: After clicking on the link, you can view the rock slider and further down the page see the bolt on steps. Looks Purpose Built.

The other company that is making items for the Grenadier including what appear to be rock sliders with steps is Urban Automotive. Here’s a video link
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8XUgpSJks

If anyone can get ahold of either Black Sheep or Urban Automotive, here are 2 questions I would love answers to;
What is the height from the ground to the top of their step?
What is the height from the top of their step to the entry cabin sill?

For information purposes, here are the measurements from Rovie from the Forum via photos he posted under “Side Steps versus Rock Sliders” showing the Grenadier Side Steps and a tape measure.

Grenadier Side Steps
395mm or 15 ½” from the ground to the top of the side step.
215mm or 8 ¼” from the top of the side step to the lower door sill opening where you might next step or
255mm or 10” from the top of the side step to the sill at the entry cabin.

For information purposes, My 2020 110 Defender has the Land Rover side steps and they measure, (with the airbag level set at the entry lower level position),
310mm or 12 1/4” from the ground to the top of the side step and
215mm or 8 1/2” from top of the side step to the sill at the entry cabin.

Back
Top Bottom