The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rock Slider Steps

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
That Black Sheep option looks good. Getting it in the US???

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Wrap step area on the slider with skateboard tape (southern engineering).
Maybe something grippy but a little less aggressive than skate board tape. I took a bit of bark off my calf after coming down a bit awkwardly on a mates GQPatrol that used skate tape on his side steps. Not fun at the time.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I had a rummage on the "spare parts" shelf and found a few spare clamps bought for another project but never used:
View attachment 7811774

And quite by chance they are a pretty good fit onto the rock sliders:
View attachment 7811775

So, I have a number of variations of fitting them with a step to allow easier access for passengers:
View attachment 7811776View attachment 7811777View attachment 7811778

The only issue is whether the clamping force will be enough to stop them rotating when stood on, or I'll need to drill and tap a screw into the underside to stop that happening?

Size of step something like this:
View attachment 7811784

Question is, what should the step be made of?
Very cool idea! I’m picturing something similar with some serrations machined into the clamping face to provide some good grip.
Might have to start designing my own parts!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very cool idea! I’m picturing something similar with some serrations machined into the clamping face to provide some good grip.
Might have to start designing my own parts!
Only potential problem i see is that they will stop the bar from sliding over the rock.
Potential for them to get damaged or torn off.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only potential problem i see is that they will stop the bar from sliding over the rock.
Potential for them to get damaged or torn off.
Exactly but they will stop the skateboarders... :LOL:

I was traveling in my mate's Troopy just recently and his side steps are almost if not the same height as sliders and getting is not as easy as you would think because it becomes one-and-a-quarter steps not two, as it would be if they were lower...I was finding myself not using it and stretching the extra 100mm to embark...having plates welded/bolted to the underside of the slides and beveled so they can still slide might solve the steep height in this case if it is an issue...;)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly but they will stop the skateboarders... :LOL:

I was traveling in my mate's Troopy just recently and his side steps are almost if not the same height as sliders and getting is not as easy as you would think because it becomes one-and-a-quarter steps not two, as it would be if they were lower...I was finding myself not using it and stretching the extra 100mm to embark...having plates welded/bolted to the underside of the slides and beveled so they can still slide might solve the steep height in this case if it is an issue...;)
Justin Hocevar mentioned to me that as the vehicle is so wide he had difficulty opening the doors in some car parks as vehicle next to it was close. So he would open the door just enough to step out onto the side step, then close the door and step down.
He is about half my size so I think this may come in handy for me.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Justin Hocevar mentioned to me that as the vehicle is so wide he had difficulty opening the doors in some car parks as vehicle next to it was close. So he would open the door just enough to step out onto the side step, then close the door and step down.
He is about half my size so I think this may come in handy for me.
This is much more diplomatic than observing that one might want to skinny up before parking at Coles.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is much more diplomatic than observing that one might want to skinny up before parking at Coles.
My wife, daughter, doctor, friends and random vegans have been telling me I need to lose weight for many years.
Justin advised me to order side steps.
See that is much easier advice to follow
Dave

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My wife, daughter, doctor, friends and random vegans have been telling me I need to lose weight for many years.
Justin advised me to order side steps.
See that is much easier advice to follow
Dave
If you get the sliders there is even more room to just slither out unnoticed by the crowd of 10 yo boys taking pics of your "Hummer"

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Forgive me if this was covered previously - does anyone know the tube diameter/circumference in inches or mm on the Grenadier option rock sliders? ~ 1.75” / 75mm ?

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Reason I ask is these may be a great option. If the IG uses this tube size these should fit and be able to be adjusted to vertical to upward an any degree horizontal. And removable. Or tack weld into position. Very low-cost solution.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Reason I ask is these may be a great option. If the IG uses this tube size these should fit and be able to be adjusted to vertical to upward an any degree horizontal. And removable. Or tack weld into position. Very low-cost solution.

Certainly help you get up but wouldn't they catch on everything and act as an unwanted anchor? Guess could keep them loose-ish and they fold up but not ideal.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom