The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Robert Pepper review coming

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Max. The Grenadier did amazingly well. I was a bit worried because of the weight, but I had no issues at all, even in some very soft sections which had a LandCruiser and a Pajero struggling.

My setup was - tyres at 15psi / Off-road mode on / centre diff locked / ESC off / high range for flat runs along the beach / low range for dunes.

I’m working on a little video. I’m doing driver training on the weekend, so it probably won’t be posted till next week.
Here I am writing a post as you load yours...Brilliant stuff exactly what I was hoping for...I won't overload you with questions now and wait for your video which will probably give me answers...this is what this forum is about...thank you for your time and effort...hope you enjoyed it...the test drive I had at Mount Cotton took us through sand and I was amazed and then shocked with my demise at Inskip but the ESC seems to be the culprit...a trick for old players...cheers

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that DPCU.

I am not a ute owner and hoping you can answer- is there an easy fix to up the payload kg?
A GVM upgrade....it is possible that a paper only 10% upgrade to GVM may be possible for a fee but if you go down this path and load over the manufacturers specs then warranty may be an issue if something breaks. The other issue is that the front axle load limits are under specified and this would also need to be addressed.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I only had a couple of hours on the sand, so I didn’t do all the tests I was planning to do, but I had fun nevertheless, and I was the only one who didn’t get stuck at some point. 🙂

View: https://youtu.be/YaK48N3wkQc?si=QF3l0fsR3RkxYXbi
That is so well done on your behalf and the vehicles...unfortunately you have shown the rest of the world what we have in our playground😂 an absolutely perfect day and scenery next to none...what load did you have on board Michael?...I could see the tyre bulge wasn't excessive...thank you for the review and your excellent video work with great sound to match...well done(y)

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is so well done on your behalf and the vehicles...unfortunately you have shown the rest of the world what we have in our playground😂 an absolutely perfect day and scenery next to none...what load did you have on board Michael?...I could see the tyre bulge wasn't excessive...thank you for the review and your excellent video work with great sound to match...well done(y)

Thanks, @Max. I had very little load on board in my 2-seater, just me, my recovery gear and my snacks. 🙂

I agree that we're very lucky in Australia to have such a range of beautiful areas to explore.

Remember that dropping our tyre pressures gives us a longer (rather than wider) footprint. 15psi worked very well in the conditions.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Thanks, @Max. I had very little load on board in my 2-seater, just me, my recovery gear and my snacks. 🙂

I agree that we're very lucky in Australia to have such a range of beautiful areas to explore.

Remember that dropping our tyre pressures gives us a longer (rather than wider) footprint. 15psi worked very well in the conditions.
Hi Michael H., That video was so well done and I loved each of the comments you wrote in. I am at the very beginning of formatting some 3 x 5 cards that I will laminate and carry in my Grenadier so that I will have easy reference on different driving modes and functions of the Grenadier. Kind of like a check list that pilots carry. The first one is titled "Driving on Sand and Dunes". Based on your video and other forum members videos and comments, I will likely before long have to get a recipe file box to keep them all in. At 71 I find I am keeping lots of notes. That will keep working until I have to write a note to remind me where the note is. Keep the Video's and comments coming. Dabull

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Michael H., That video was so well done and I loved each of the comments you wrote in. I am at the very beginning of formatting some 3 x 5 cards that I will laminate and carry in my Grenadier so that I will have easy reference on different driving modes and functions of the Grenadier. Kind of like a check list that pilots carry. The first one is titled "Driving on Sand and Dunes". Based on your video and other forum members videos and comments, I will likely before long have to get a recipe file box to keep them all in. At 71 I find I am keeping lots of notes. That will keep working until I have to write a note to remind me where the note is. Keep the Video's and comments coming. Dabull
Post them when you have them.......pleeeeeease.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Post them when you have them.......pleeeeeease.
Hi Davman, Being old school I just opened up a word document to start my first 3 x 5 card on Sand Driving and took most of the ideas from @Michael H. Here's what I wrote and perhaps you could cut and paste it into a word document too. I am looking at also saving these in my notes section on my iPhone by simply cutting and pasting the text into a new note titled Grenadier - Driving on Sand.
I am open to any forum thoughts if anything needs to be modified on this. DaBull

DRIVING ON FLAT SAND AND DRIVING ON DUNES
  • Air down to 15 psi before driving onto the sand.
  • Center Diff/Transfer Case Locked in High for Flat Sand.
  • Center Diff/Transfer Case Locked in Low for Dunes as it gives you more usable gears for low speed work.
  • Transmission in Manual Shift Mode and not automatic as it gives you more control over the gears you want to be in.
  • ESC off – Prevents power being lost when wheels lose traction.
  • Off Road Mode On as there is no unexpected start/stop and no parking sensors.
  • If your not progressing, it is best to reverse before digging yourself in.
  • Things to consider bringing: Shovel, air compressor & lines, Maxtrax’s or recovery tracks, tow recovery ropes/gear, sand anchor.
  • Remember when back on payment to Air Up, Take Center Diff/Transfer Case out of Hi or Low Lock, Take out of Off Road Mode and put Transmission Shifter back into Automatic Mode. YouTube link to Sand Driving by @Michael H. on Grenadier Forum
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaK48N3wkQc&t=1s

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the ESC, one thing to remember that I assume is the same on the Grenadier, but was the case with my Discovery is that the ESC turns back on evertime you stop and turn the car off. When the kids were younger I had them trained to yell “ESC Dad” everytime we got back in the car on the beach.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see from FB that someone has spent time with Ronny Dahl with their Grenadier. Apparently he was impressed he will be doing a video. ASPW is going to be so livid that he was beaten by both Robert Pepper and Ronny Dahl.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do remember that and was hoping like many others for 16in wheels but you looked very well in control with the 17in...cheers (y)
When we spoke with Greg Clark, he said they hoped for 16s but they were just too small for the brake package. Given the mass of the truck, they wanted to make certain the brakes were well specced.

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Well, In this video, from a couple years ago, he explains why a vehicle with front and rear lockers will be able to go where a vehicle with electronic traction control, even with a rear locker, cant go. Obviously, the Grenadier with triple lockers is far superior.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBG8PBENZ-w

Also a great video by Ronny Dahl on using locking differentials

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkA9_vjQGhE
A vehicle with part-time 4-wheel drive, that has both front and rear locking differentials is no different than a vehicle that is "triple locked". Shifting from 2-Hi to 4-Hi in a vehicle with part-time 4-wheel drive is functionally the same as locking the center differential in a vehicle like the Grenadier, G-Wagen, etc.. The term "triple locked" is just marketing to make people think that their Grenadier or G-Wagen is "far superior". The advantage with these vehicles is not in being "triple locked" but in having full-time four-wheel drive which provides better traction on-road, when conditions are intermittent (e.g. partly covered in snow) - conditions for which a driver of a pert-time 4-wheel drive might have to be shifting in and out of 4-Hi, depending on road conditions. But its not all roses for full-time four wheel drive: fuel mileage is significantly worse than in a part-time 4-wheel drive (in which you can do most road driving in 2-wheel drive).

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A vehicle with part-time 4-wheel drive, that has both front and rear locking differentials is no different than a vehicle that is "triple locked". Shifting from 2-Hi to 4-Hi in a vehicle with part-time 4-wheel drive is functionally the same as locking the center differential in a vehicle like the Grenadier, G-Wagen, etc.. The term "triple locked" is just marketing to make people think that their Grenadier or G-Wagen is "far superior". The advantage with these vehicles is not in being "triple locked" but in having full-time four-wheel drive which provides better traction on-road, when conditions are intermittent (e.g. partly covered in snow) - conditions for which a driver of a pert-time 4-wheel drive might have to be shifting in and out of 4-Hi, depending on road conditions. But its not all roses for full-time four wheel drive: fuel mileage is significantly worse than in a part-time 4-wheel drive (in which you can do most road driving in 2-wheel drive).
Not always true, some vehicles like Mitsubishi have the options of 2wd high. 4wd high unlocked, 4wd high locked and 4wd low locked. But yes for most proper 4wds, any of them with front and rear lockers means you have at least the option of being “triple locked”

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Not always true, some vehicles like Mitsubishi have the options of 2wd high. 4wd high unlocked, 4wd high locked and 4wd low locked. But yes for most proper 4wds, any of them with front and rear lockers means you have at least the option of being “triple locked”
Sure, there are different 4-wheel drive systems in different vehicles, but the point I was making you summarize in your last sentence. A fair number of people seem to think that a vehicle that can be “triple-locked” is functionally superior - when in that triple-locked state - to a part-time 4-wheel drive that has front and rear lockers. When both vehicles are fully locked, both vehicles are “triple-locked”.

The next point was that the difference between something like a full-time 4-wheel drive Grenadier equipped with front and rear lockers, and a Jeep Rubicon which comes standard with part-time 4-wheel drive, and front and rear lockers, is not going to be found comparing the two when fully locked. They are functionally the same. Differences will exist with regard to other features: the Jeep has a much lower low-range, and a disconnect-able front sway bar, for example. On the other hand, the gas-powered Grenadier has better low-end torque than the 3.6 Pentastar (the standard Jeep engine).

But the biggest difference (when comparing 4-wheel drive systems) will be noticed on-road, where the Grenadier has full-time 4-wheel drive, which provides better traction in daily driving. We’ve already had 2 snowfalls here at 8500 feet. Having full-time 4-wheel drive is great in the winter, which is basically 6 months here in the mountains.

As stated previously - the cost of full-time 4-wheel drive is poor fuel economy (and perhaps faster tire wear).

But I think you knew my point, and just wanted to talk about a Mitsubishi 😁

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sure, there are different 4-wheel drive systems in different vehicles, but the point I was making you summarize in your last sentence. A fair number of people seem to think that a vehicle that can be “triple-locked” is functionally superior - when in that triple-locked state - to a part-time 4-wheel drive that has front and rear lockers. When both vehicles are fully locked, both vehicles are “triple-locked”.

The next point was that the difference between something like a full-time 4-wheel drive Grenadier equipped with front and rear lockers, and a Jeep Rubicon which comes standard with part-time 4-wheel drive, and front and rear lockers, is not going to be found comparing the two when fully locked. They are functionally the same. Differences will exist with regard to other features: the Jeep has a much lower low-range, and a disconnect-able front sway bar, for example. On the other hand, the gas-powered Grenadier has better low-end torque than the 3.6 Pentastar (the standard Jeep engine).

But the biggest difference (when comparing 4-wheel drive systems) will be noticed on-road, where the Grenadier has full-time 4-wheel drive, which provides better traction in daily driving. We’ve already had 2 snowfalls here at 8500 feet. Having full-time 4-wheel drive is great in the winter, which is basically 6 months here in the mountains.

As stated previously - the cost of full-time 4-wheel drive is poor fuel economy (and perhaps faster tire wear).

But I think you knew my point, and just wanted to talk about a Mitsubishi 😁
No, just that there are different systems so the blanket statement isn’t entirely accurate. Mitsubishi isn’t the only one, just the one I am most familiar with.

Local time
Reaction score
No, just that there are different systems so the blanket statement isn’t entirely accurate. Mitsubishi isn’t the only one, just the one I am most familiar with.
Not trying to be argumentative - but I'm genuinely unclear on what you are objecting to.

To be super clear, my 'blanket statement' was as follows - and I'll provide more detail here, though I thought this was all inherent in the original post:

All vehicles that have the following characteristics are capable of being functionally "triple locked":
(1) Part Time four-wheel drive, with a two range transfer case (high and low). The transfer case lever is used to shift from 2-High (the default for on-road driving) to 4-High, or to 4-Low. (I have owned 9 vehicles that meet this first criteria, so perhaps I was lazy in not spelling all these features out, but I think I reference them in that post)
(2) A locking differential in both the front and rear axles.

My blanket statement statement was that any vehicle that has these features is a vehicle that, when shifted into 4-wheel drive (and often this would need to be 4-Low), and after one locks both the front and rear diffs, the vehicle is "triple locked", because the shift from 2-High to 4-High functions like locking the center differential in a full-time four-wheel drive vehicle like the G-Wagen.

You mention a Mitsubishi as an exception to this, but - if I read you right - you go on to say that the Mitsubishi can be triple locked. So I don't see how it is an exception to what I was saying. So I must be misreading what you wrote, or you are misreading what I wrote.

Do you know of a vehicle that has the characteristics I describe, that - when "fully locked" (i.e. 4-Low, front and rear diffs locked) is not equivalent to a full-time four-wheel drive that is "triple-locked"? Thanks!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative - but I'm genuinely unclear on what you are objecting to.

To be super clear, my 'blanket statement' was as follows - and I'll provide more detail here, though I thought this was all inherent in the original post:

All vehicles that have the following characteristics are capable of being functionally "triple locked":
(1) Part Time four-wheel drive, with a two range transfer case (high and low). The transfer case lever is used to shift from 2-High (the default for on-road driving) to 4-High, or to 4-Low. (I have owned 9 vehicles that meet this first criteria, so perhaps I was lazy in not spelling all these features out, but I think I reference them in that post)
(2) A locking differential in both the front and rear axles.

My blanket statement statement was that any vehicle that has these features is a vehicle that, when shifted into 4-wheel drive (and often this would need to be 4-Low), and after one locks both the front and rear diffs, the vehicle is "triple locked", because the shift from 2-High to 4-High functions like locking the center differential in a full-time four-wheel drive vehicle like the G-Wagen.

You mention a Mitsubishi as an exception to this, but - if I read you right - you go on to say that the Mitsubishi can be triple locked. So I don't see how it is an exception to what I was saying. So I must be misreading what you wrote, or you are misreading what I wrote.

Do you know of a vehicle that has the characteristics I describe, that - when "fully locked" (i.e. 4-Low, front and rear diffs locked) is not equivalent to a full-time four-wheel drive that is "triple-locked"? Thanks!
So a part-time 4WD vehicle - let‘s just a say a Wrangler - is in 2 HIGH most of the time. Then when selecting 4 HI the truck automatically sends power 50-50 front-to-rear (Which is what happens when locking the center diff on a permanent 4WD system like the IG)?

Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom