The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Robert Pepper review coming

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
There’s a difference between traction control and electronic stability control.

With the Grenadier, you can’t manually disable traction control, but you can disable electronic stability control by pressing the ESC OFF button. ESC is also automatically reduced when you lock the centre diff or engage off-road mode.
Hi Michael, yes there is a difference and they both need switching off for sand driving, they both work by breaking individual wheels which will kill momentum when you need it the most, you are a grenadier owner I am not yet so I was unaware that traction control could not be switched off, but can it be made less reactive ? or will you need to engage the rear diff lock to deactivate it I hope not as that would cause a multitude of other problems.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi Michael, yes there is a difference and they both need switching off for sand driving, they both work by breaking individual wheels which will kill momentum when you need it the most, you are a grenadier owner I am not yet so I was unaware that traction control could not be switched off, but can it be made less reactive ? or will you need to engage the rear diff lock to deactivate it I hope not as that would cause a multitude of other problems.
Hi Steve. I’ve been thinking along the same lines as you. In my last car I could do a long press of the ESC OFF button to disengage traction control as well as ESC, so I’m wondering about the best setup for sand driving in the Grenadier. It’s made all the more difficult by the fact that the owners manual doesn’t even mention traction control, just ESC.

I’m heading off to Stockton Beach (near Newcastle) on Tuesday to do some experimenting, and I’ll report back. 🙂

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
The first thing you do when driving on sand is disable traction control it limits effective power when crossing dunes etc and you loose momentum very quickly, but sand is quite unique.
I'm understanding that as my current vehicle has the similar system as the Grenadier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Steve. I’ve been thinking along the same lines as you. In my last car I could do a long press of the ESC OFF button to disengage traction control as well as ESC, so I’m wondering about the best setup for sand driving in the Grenadier. It’s made all the more difficult by the fact that the owners manual doesn’t even mention traction control, just ESC.

I’m heading off to Stockton Beach (near Newcastle) on Tuesday to do some experimenting, and I’ll report back. 🙂
As you can drive up to 80 kmh in low range that might be a good option on sand
Hit off road mode as well.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
As you can drive up to 80 kmh in low range that might be a good option on sand
Hit off road mode as well.

Robert P. has asked me to try out lots of combinations …

1. drive in high range
2. high range / off-road mode
3. high range / ESC off
4. low range
5. low range / off-road mode
6. low range / ESC off

He's very thorough. 😜

And of course I’ll be experimenting with different tyre pressures. 🙂

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No sorry, I disagree. Traction control is quite different to ESC, you do want ESC off in sand but traction control is still useful. There are a couple of problems with ESC in sand as it reduces engine speed in some situations and reacts to not just wheel speed, but also sideways movement and steering position all of which can be all over the place in sand. Traction control brakes a wheel that is spinning at a higher speed than others to direct power to the ones that do, which is still useful on sand. You want ESC off and traction control on.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yes, interesting no mention of traction control in the manual but is mentioned that it has it in the brochure. On an aside, do we know if the centre diff can be engaged whilst moving and at what speed (if at all) when in high range? Is handy not having to come to a complete stop when constantly going from bitumen to dirt - no mention in the manual that I can see about this and the centre diff specifically... says to be stationary when going from high to low and the steps required for the front and rear lockers...

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
No sorry, I disagree. Traction control is quite different to ESC, you do want ESC off in sand but traction control is still useful. There are a couple of problems with ESC in sand as it reduces engine speed in some situations and reacts to not just wheel speed, but also sideways movement and steering position all of which can be all over the place in sand. Traction control brakes a wheel that is spinning at a higher speed than others to direct power to the ones that do, which is still useful on sand. You want ESC off and traction control on.
Hi Andrew,
For everything besides sand I totally agree Traction Control is useful but for sand we will have to agree to disagree.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, interesting no mention of traction control in the manual but is mentioned that it has it in the brochure. On an aside, do we know if the centre diff can be engaged whilst moving and at what speed (if at all) when in high range? Is handy not having to come to a complete stop when constantly going from bitumen to dirt - no mention in the manual that I can see about this and the centre diff specifically... says to be stationary when going from high to low and the steps required for the front and rear lockers...
In the Getting to Grips with the Grenadier video, it says that you need to be stopped and in neutral to lock the centre diff, but I’m not sure that's right.IMG_9549.png

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the Getting to Grips with the Grenadier video, it says that you need to be stopped and in neutral to lock the centre diff, but I’m not sure that's right.View attachment 7828982
Cheers, guess best to go with this... I've been told in the past by Ineos no need to stop... and then need to stop...😶

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Robert P. has asked me to try out lots of combinations …

1. drive in high range
2. high range / off-road mode
3. high range / ESC off
4. low range
5. low range / off-road mode
6. low range / ESC off

He's very thorough. 😜

And of course I’ll be experimenting with different tyre pressures. 🙂
He is extremely thorough - but I was disappointed that he never really concluded which vehicle was the best for the task set! I agree there were statements on certain aspects, but no final conclusion. Very good explanation on live and IRS suspension.

Having said that, he is one of the best reviewers to date on the Ineos and a good watch.

Last edited:

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
He is extremely thorough - but I was disappointed that he never really concluded which vehicle was the best for the task set! I agree there were statements on certain aspects, but no final conclusion. Very good explanation on live and IRS suspension.

Having said that, he is one of the best reviewers to date on the Ineos and a good watch.

This video is part of a series which will cover other aspects such as crawl ratio, so perhaps he's waiting till the end to make his final conclusions. 🙂

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Remember that this video is part of a series

This video is part of a series which will cover other aspects such as crawl ratio, so perhaps he's waiting till the end to make his final conclusions. 🙂
He did say in a previous video that there was one clear loser in this comparison.
My money is on the Grenadier

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn’t this the first video in this comparison series?
Yes, but in a previous video mentioned that he would be doing a 4 way comparison with (X) vehicles and that there was one clear looser.
Let me find it and I'll post it

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You don't have to engage centre diff if going from bitumen to a dirt road only if the road was particularly slippery or muddy.
You have to engage it in many 4wd's such as dual cab utes, because they are two wheel drive usually

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You don't have to engage centre diff if going from bitumen to a dirt road only if the road was particularly slippery or muddy.
You have to engage it in many 4wd's such as dual cab utes, because they are two wheel drive usually
I've always engaged centre diff licks on dirt roads; many times I'm glad I could control skidding.
Narrow twisty dirt roads with oncoming traffic (god save me from tourists), animals etc.

Back
Top Bottom