The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Robert Pepper review coming

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I never realized that but now that I think about it, it makes sense.

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
I never realized that but now that I think about it, it makes sense.
Yeah - this is why I made the original post. There are a lot of people who do not realize that Jeeps and other true 4x4 vehicles with part-time 4x4 basically have a "locking center differential". People also hear "triple locked" from the G-Wagen crowd and don't realize that a Jeep Rubicon or a Ram Power Wagon can be "triple locked". I think its the packaging. In the G-Wagen, all three buttons are right there on the dash, and are numbered in the order to push them (from 1-3) - hence "triple locked". I've circled the three buttons on the G-Wagen dash below:

G-Wagen_Dash.jpg

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Sure, there are different 4-wheel drive systems in different vehicles, but the point I was making you summarize in your last sentence. A fair number of people seem to think that a vehicle that can be “triple-locked” is functionally superior - when in that triple-locked state - to a part-time 4-wheel drive that has front and rear lockers. When both vehicles are fully locked, both vehicles are “triple-locked”.
I agree that this is often misunderstood, not having a centre diff, that therefore needs no locking.

interestingly, i have found having owned a few of both, that the fulltime 4wd wears tyres both more evenly, and less, than part time. Its a stark difference, at least with my driving style, to the point where i have not needed to rotate tyres on fulltime 4wd, and have been able to replace all 4 at the same time. Typically 75,000 km. Not sure if others have similar results.
j

Local time
Reaction score
I agree that this is often misunderstood, not having a centre diff, that therefore needs no locking.

interestingly, i have found having owned a few of both, that the fulltime 4wd wears tyres both more evenly, and less, than part time. Its a stark difference, at least with my driving style, to the point where i have not needed to rotate tyres on fulltime 4wd, and have been able to replace all 4 at the same time. Typically 75,000 km. Not sure if others have similar results.
j
Interesting! I would not have guessed that. What full-time rigs have you owned?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting! I would not have guessed that. What full-time rigs have you owned?
Defenders (real ones) and the part time were a series IIA, and a suzuki modified lj80 that I still miss…
the defender underpinnings were very similar to rangies and discos, ive never thought to ask friends if they were experiencing the same. Just sadly sold the 300tdi, with a lovely new set of falken tyres on, and am settling into the k02. So far I havent found any weird behaviour in the wet either!
i am wondering about asking about putting narrower tyres on the ineos - 235s, which probably puts me into a very small venn diagram bubble! But I’ll prob wait a bit.

Local time
Reaction score
Defenders (real ones) and the part time were a series IIA, and a suzuki modified lj80 that I still miss…
the defender underpinnings were very similar to rangies and discos, ive never thought to ask friends if they were experiencing the same. Just sadly sold the 300tdi, with a lovely new set of falken tyres on, and am settling into the k02. So far I havent found any weird behaviour in the wet either!
i am wondering about asking about putting narrower tyres on the ineos - 235s, which probably puts me into a very small venn diagram bubble! But I’ll prob wait a bit.
Don't know that Suzuki, but we had the Samurai here (the father of the Jimny I suppose) - and it was a great little off-roader. Not ideal for highway driving with speed limits at 75 miles per hour, and lots of really large vehicles on the road, but mechanically. they were like little tanks. Geared really low, and small enough to be able to pick a line than even Jeeps might not.

With a solid-axle proper 4x4 like the Grenadier, there are a lot of good reasons to go with a tall skinny tire, and very few reasons to go for a wide tire.

I've never had issues in wet weather with our KO2-equipped vehicles (three 4x4s all running KO2 in the summer, and snow tires in the winter). I hope you have the same results!

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative - but I'm genuinely unclear on what you are objecting to.

To be super clear, my 'blanket statement' was as follows - and I'll provide more detail here, though I thought this was all inherent in the original post:

All vehicles that have the following characteristics are capable of being functionally "triple locked":
(1) Part Time four-wheel drive, with a two range transfer case (high and low). The transfer case lever is used to shift from 2-High (the default for on-road driving) to 4-High, or to 4-Low. (I have owned 9 vehicles that meet this first criteria, so perhaps I was lazy in not spelling all these features out, but I think I reference them in that post)
(2) A locking differential in both the front and rear axles.

My blanket statement statement was that any vehicle that has these features is a vehicle that, when shifted into 4-wheel drive (and often this would need to be 4-Low), and after one locks both the front and rear diffs, the vehicle is "triple locked", because the shift from 2-High to 4-High functions like locking the center differential in a full-time four-wheel drive vehicle like the G-Wagen.

You mention a Mitsubishi as an exception to this, but - if I read you right - you go on to say that the Mitsubishi can be triple locked. So I don't see how it is an exception to what I was saying. So I must be misreading what you wrote, or you are misreading what I wrote.

Do you know of a vehicle that has the characteristics I describe, that - when "fully locked" (i.e. 4-Low, front and rear diffs locked) is not equivalent to a full-time four-wheel drive that is "triple-locked"? Thanks!
I wasn’t arguing with your basic point, just pointing out that when you said “Shifting from 2-Hi to 4-Hi in a vehicle with part-time 4-wheel drive is functionally the same as locking the center differential in a vehicle like the Grenadier, G-Wagen, etc.”
That, that is not always the case.

Back
Top Bottom