The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Resale Specifications

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Trailmaster comes with most of what I want, but about $2k of stuff i don't. So I'll go a base model build up and spend money on wanted accessories / extras rather than $500 for a compass I have no use for. As far as i can see there isn't any discount value on buying either trailmaster / fieldmaster, other than getting a free jacket.
"editions" are for new marketing, not so much for resaleability I think.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In deciding how best to start the "build" my Grenadier and add the options I wanted - I used a simple excel spreadsheet with the two starting points: Standard Wagon & Trialmaster.

The net result was A$400 difference plus no jacket so, for me, there was really no material difference between the two starting points it's just that I don't want a raised air intake

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In deciding how best to start the "build" my Grenadier and add the options I wanted - I used a simple excel spreadsheet with the two starting points: Standard Wagon & Trialmaster.

The net result was A$400 difference plus no jacket so, for me, there was really no material difference between the two starting points it's just that I don't want a raised air intake
I started with the Fieldmaster and the Trialmaster and the station wagon and built all three up to the specification I wanted
$400 between them and I preferred the Fieldmaster jacket

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I started with the Fieldmaster and the Trialmaster and the station wagon and built all three up to the specification I wanted
$400 between them and I preferred the Fieldmaster jacket
So actually, after deducting the retail costs of the jackets, then either the raised air intake or the sarfari windows are essentially free!

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones feedback, as expected the opinions vary as much as the available options to choose from.
Given that the question was purely about Resale Value, and what specifications would be preferred to the someone looking to pick up one in the 2nd hand market, I am of the following opinions,

Firstly - People will generally like the idea of the special Belstaff Editions - as they are a known quantity of additional options that are included in the vehicle.
Secondly - A potential buyer will be looking for a car with the three options that you cannot do as an aftermarket fitment - Lockers, Sunroof, Electrical Preparation.
Thirdly - In Australia, car owners will typically prefer a car with Leather and Sunroof - even if they don't need them, and if they are wanting Leather/Sunroof, then they would also expect a car to have alloy wheels.

So this in my book leads to the conclusion that a Fieldmaster, with Rough Pack and Electrical Preparation is probably the vehicle that ticks most of the boxes.

This also ticks the following boxes:
That a lot of people will be looking at this car as a decent vehicle that can tow their large caravan touring the black top, so the extra "Style" options of the Fieldmaster will be more desirable to the towing market - not everyone in this market will like the look of the Air Intake/Cloth Seats etc, or will want a winch etc.
It is still a cracking 4x4 in its own right which can still do more that most people will ever ask of it.
That in the above configuration it competes extremely favourably against the top end of the Landcruiser 300 series as far as specification level, however costs perhaps around $45,000 less. A SW (irrespective of the the options on it), will still be compared in peoples minds with a base level GX LC300, or LC70 Series.
People who want one immediately, and don't really want to wait, probably are looking more at the higher price bracket, rather than the lower pricing bracket.
That people who who are serious about ordering an IG to their unique specifications, colours etc, will not buy a 2nd had one anyway, but will specify their own and wait for their own unique vehicle.

Anyway, these are my current thoughts.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones feedback, as expected the opinions vary as much as the available options to choose from.
Given that the question was purely about Resale Value, and what specifications would be preferred to the someone looking to pick up one in the 2nd hand market, I am of the following opinions,

Firstly - People will generally like the idea of the special Belstaff Editions - as they are a known quantity of additional options that are included in the vehicle.
Secondly - A potential buyer will be looking for a car with the three options that you cannot do as an aftermarket fitment - Lockers, Sunroof, Electrical Preparation.
Thirdly - In Australia, car owners will typically prefer a car with Leather and Sunroof - even if they don't need them, and if they are wanting Leather/Sunroof, then they would also expect a car to have alloy wheels.

So this in my book leads to the conclusion that a Fieldmaster, with Rough Pack and Electrical Preparation is probably the vehicle that ticks most of the boxes.

That a lot of people will be looking at this car as a decent vehicle that can tow their large caravan touring the black top, so the extra "Style" options of the Fieldmaster will be more desirable to the towing market - not everyone in this market will like the look of the Air Intake/Cloth Seats etc, or will want a winch etc.
It is still a cracking 4x4 in its own right which can still do more that most people will ever ask of it.
That in the above configuration it competes extremely favourably against the top end of the Landcruiser 300 series as far as specification level, however costs perhaps around $45,000 less. A SW (irrespective of the the options on it), will still be compared in peoples minds with a base level GX LC300, or LC70 Series.
People who want one immediately, and don't really want to wait, probably are looking more at the higher price bracket, rather than the lower pricing bracket.
That people who who are serious about ordering an IG to their unique specifications, colours etc, will not buy a 2nd had one anyway, but will specify their own and wait for their own unique vehicle.

Hi Davman,

I spoke to my INEOS agent last week on a number of option/configuration issues.

This agent sells a very wide range of brands: Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Honda, Volvo, Ford, VW etc and the chap responsible for the INEOS account said that in his opinion, second hand buyers will probably view the Field & Trial master versions as the "premium" or fully appointed version of the Grenadier and will attach a $$ premium over even a base SW model.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I would agree with you on that logic

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
I wonder what the long -term supply-demand situation will be.. Also, so they make them for a couple of years and then stop? Is this a 93 NAS110, or is a Toyota FJ cruiser?

Or is the ’model’ closer to the Toyota Land Crusier? Something that isn’t rare, but is special and holds its value. But the LC always flew under the radar, not what the IG will be good at.

I’ve always made rational decisions on cars, with only one ‘bad’ choice- an 2000GJC that I kept for 4 years. Every car after that has been either/and bought used and kept 7+years. I’m due to have a ‘flier’ that might not work out.

Last edited:

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Reading this thread with interest, but somewhat cynical about this type of thinking

- it's over-thinking (albeit enjoyably so :))
- it's second guessing to suit y/our inherent biases
- also to protect personal interests/ investment (understandable)
- so it's basically the futures market

My 2c:

- we're not all that different from each other, and want very similar things
- trust that others will want in the future what you currently want
- buy the car you want
- your one car doesn't have to satisfy the entire market for used vehicles
- what the used market will demand is variety

Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
I think some people would mind roof glasses. Like me. I hate it in all cars.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
Reading this thread with interest, but somewhat cynical about this type of thinking

- it's over-thinking (albeit enjoyably so :))
- it's second guessing to suit y/our inherent biases
- also to protect personal interests/ investment (understandable)
- so it's basically the futures market

My 2c:

- we're not all that different from each other, and want very similar things
- trust that others will want in the future what you currently want
- buy the car you want
- your one car doesn't have to satisfy the entire market for used vehicles
- what the used market will demand is variety
Completely agree.

There will be as broad a range of buyers in the 2nd hand market as there are buying new on this forum.

I think my MM Station wagon with all the off-road kit and a towing set up (hitch and camera) will appeal to people like me, whereas a field master specced with all the trimmings will suit someone else.

Horses for courses

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
I have all of the Fieldmaster and all of the TRialmaster spec
And some extras
Mine therefore must appeal to everyone……………….or no one
ditto

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it depends on local conditions/ tastes.

Take Perth, for example:

A city with seemingly limitless funding for cars, despite there being no real challenge in driving, and only one principle direction to drive in. Nevertheless, Perth buyers will demand pristine examples loaded with bling - the more impractical the better. Black roof and safari windows - completely unsuitable for summer - will be big sellers, and wet/sandy post-swim bums will demand to be parked on leather. Stock rims will be immediately binned in favour of anything aftermarket and black, and which allow enormous tyres to fitted. Suspension lift, hi-lift jack and minimum 4 spotless orange maxtraxx will complete the look, allowing the (sealed) urban coastal strip/ winery carpark to be traversed with maximum "street appeal".

How about your hood?
I live down south @Sam we have had enough of these "Urban Overlanders" with the a fore mentioned bling and tyes, thinking they are off road warriors after hitting the Bears Track for a surf with the hoards.....God forbid if we ever see those "accessories" being used around town

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I live down south @Sam we have had enough of these "Urban Overlanders" with the a fore mentioned bling and tyes, thinking they are off road warriors after hitting the Bears Track for a surf with the hoards.....Gog forbid if we ever see those "accessories" being used around town
I consciously try not to pass judgement on what some people might find important for them...it's very difficult and I often fail but I am going to try really hard regarding the Grenadier

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I consciously try not to pass judgement on what some people might find important for them...it's very difficult and I often fail but I am going to try really hard regarding the Grenadier
I apologies if I sounded judgmental, maybe just maybe IG buyers will be a different breed?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
No need to apologize Mike - I totally get what you say.

I think most Grenny owners will be different but, some will not but that's Ok too
If someone thinks there is a white and a black way of configurate a Grenadier I would say "go ahead and do it".
I do not belive in right or wrong as a judgment here.
There is a wide variety of "grey" between the urban bling-bling-cruiser and the hardcore rock crawler.
My Grenadier will be red Fieldmaster and gets a black roof. Why? because I like it. And I do know that neither colour will find to many followers.
It will be my car and I do not buy it to get the best quote when selling it again.

Back
Top Bottom