The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Replacement Hinges

Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
Whilst preparing some previews for the forthcoming Abenteuer & Allrad Show (June 8th -11th 2023), I was sent some information about replacement hinges for the Grenadier.

According to the Offroad Monkeys, the factory installed hinges are mounted to the doors with a piece of paper separating the bare surfaces - this could be a potential problem further down the track.

You can read the preview here.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
According to the Offroad Monkeys, the factory installed hinges are mounted to the doors with a piece of paper separating the bare surfaces - this could be a potential problem further down the track.
Have you played your "press card" and asked Ineos to respond to this?

The factory hinges are assembled, uncoated, onto a bare steel door. Ineos only separate the two surfaces with a thin paper seal. In the long run, this will enduce massive rust problems. In a worst case scenario, this could even lead to door replacement.

Is that "bare steel" door actually aluminium?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is it actually paper that ineos use or some form of membrane?

Reactions: PBD

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whilst preparing some previews for the forthcoming Abenteuer & Allrad Show (June 8th -11th 2023), I was sent some information about replacement hinges for the Grenadier.

You can read the preview here.
Great to see the start of the aftermarket accessories.

Local time
Reaction score
Have you played your "press card" and asked Ineos to respond to this?

The factory hinges are assembled, uncoated, onto a bare steel door. Ineos only separate the two surfaces with a thin paper seal. In the long run, this will enduce massive rust problems. In a worst case scenario, this could even lead to door replacement.

Is that "bare steel" door actually aluminium?
The question is ready to be asked. I tried calling one of the guys in Germany this morning. As soon as I have a response, I will post.

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just lucky but, I haven't had any problems with my hinges on my 110 since 1985.
I like aftermarket accessories too, if they’re useful, like 22” rims to make the Grenadier look like a Mercedes G(ay) 😎

p.s. That’s how it is pronounced properly in German.

Local time
Reaction score
Best way to counter the 'trick' and remove 'doubt' is to effectively disprove it ....

I don't have a Gren, but if I did, i'd be dismantling, greasing and isolating potential bi-metalic rust traps.
I'd also be under it with a Lanoguard lance and spray gun

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has any one got a magnet?
Calling my trusty Ullman Devices...

This is the front passenger door (RHD) which was not magnetic (excluding fasteners & locking mechanism).
The top section of the hinge including the rectangular panel is not magnetic - the 2 Torx fasteners are magnetic:
WP_20230526_009.jpg

The bottom section of the hinge is magnetic:
WP_20230526_010.jpg

As is the substantial mounting block attached to the bulkhead within the door shut:
WP_20230526_027.jpg

The bulkhead is magnetic:
WP_20230526_028.jpg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Lots of dissimilar metals in the Grenadier, mostly steel and aluminum panels, screws, bolts and fittings. If you live in a marine environment or near the coast, there is a higher likelihood of galvanic corrosion setting in and causing damage over a long time period and causing screws and bolts to become frozen and seized. The best product in the world to prevent or minimize this is called Ultra Tef-Gel. It is used in the marine industry extensively and actually isolates different metals from each other with just a thin even coat. It’s expensive, however a little goes a long way. Available directly from Ultra Tef-Gel or on Amazon. I live at the beach and used it on all of my screws and bolts that hold my 2020 Defender factory Thule roof rack together so that I would be able to easy remove it from my vehicle or replace any cross rails and parts if needed. Without it, all the bolts would have seized already in the salt air. When using it, just apply a thin even coat. Be careful to not over torque as anytime you use a lubricant on a fitting it can change the torque settings. Because of this I don’t recommend lubricants on wheel studs or nuts because it changes the torque settings and grip and you can snap a stud. If there are in fact paper shims between the door panels and hinges, which would attract water and corrosion, perhaps inserting a very thin EDPM rubber sheet between them would isolate the steel and aluminum and not attract water like a paper shim might. If anyone removes a door or door hinge from their Grenadier and finds paper shims, let us all know. DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Whip the hinge off and tell us it its plastic or paper and if the door is painted underneath ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom