The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Some clarifications concerning second seat row, Utility vs.Station Wagon

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
I hope you can buy the battery compartment cover separately and can move the cargo barrier to the forward position. That would mean that most of the time I would have the seats in for day to day use, but if setting up for a touring trip, take the back seats out, pop the cover on move the barrier forward and you are good to go with a 2 seat touring rig.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know if the solid panel is actually part of the frame or welded in, or if it mounted the same way a glas window panel is, you would think from a manufacturing efficiency perspective the latter makes more sense. In which case you wouldn’t even need a jigsaw. Would be a very simple job to remove.
Without going back through photos… spot welded and seam sealed I believe.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I hope you can buy the battery compartment cover separately and can move the cargo barrier to the forward position. That would mean that most of the time I would have the seats in for day to day use, but if setting up for a touring trip, take the back seats out, pop the cover on move the barrier forward and you are good to go with a 2 seat touring rig.
Yes that would be a great option

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes that would be a great option
Of course it’s probably simple enough and cheaper to cut a piece of MDF and cover it with rubber or marine carpet instead if not. I did ask on one of the drive days if the cargo barrier could be moved forward as the roof mounts are already there, they said they didn’t think so, but tbh I got the impression they really had no idea if it could or not. I haven’t been able to see how it attaches at the bottom.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Of course it’s probably simple enough and cheaper to cut a piece of MDF and cover it with rubber or marine carpet instead if not. I did ask on one of the drive days if the cargo barrier could be moved forward as the roof mounts are already there, they said they didn’t think so, but tbh I got the impression they really had no idea if it could or not. I haven’t been able to see how it attaches at the bottom.
We’ve seen two versions. The half barrier when fitted to a Belstaff edition attaches at the spot where you see the D-shackles, and at the designated spot on the roof.

When fitted in the commercial Station Wagon the lower mounting point is at the spot used to retain the seat back in the Belstaff. Attachment point at the roof is the same, but different brackets are used which relocate the barrier somewhat forward.

What I don’t know is whether the ‘Grenadier Edition’ station wagon available in Australia is configured same as the commercial (seat/barrier forward) or the Belstaff (seat/barrier rearward). The configurator images suggest the latter.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We’ve seen two versions. The half barrier when fitted to a Belstaff edition attaches at the spot where you see the D-shackles, and at the designated spot on the roof.

When fitted in the commercial Station Wagon the lower mounting point is at the spot used to retain the seat back in the Belstaff. Attachment point at the roof is the same, but different brackets are used which relocate the barrier somewhat forward.

What I don’t know is whether the ‘Grenadier Edition’ station wagon available in Australia is configured same as the commercial (seat/barrier forward) or the Belstaff (seat/barrier rearward). The configurator images suggest the latter.
"The latter" is my understanding also... I had thought of ordering the cargo separator later if preparing for a long trip whence the SW second row seat and half height barrier would be removed. The floor to ceiling separation plus the "wall" at right angles makes for a handy DIY "MOLLE" base with "hanging" compartments ..

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"The latter" is my understanding also... I had thought of ordering the cargo separator later if preparing for a long trip whence the SW second row seat and half height barrier would be removed. The floor to ceiling separation plus the "wall" at right angles makes for a handy DIY "MOLLE" base with "hanging" compartments ..
If I understand your intention correctly, I believe we have a similar plan.

If the seat/half-height cargo barrier arrives in the rearward position, I am thinking to move the seat forward while keeping the barrier where it is. One can then use the barrier as you suggest, confident that anything mounted to it will not represent an obstruction for rear seat headrests, or indeed rear seat passengers.

I'm thinking I might mount the inverter there if I can't find somewhere else, along with the field first aid kit etc.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
I did ask on one of the drive days if the cargo barrier could be moved forward as the roof mounts are already there, they said they didn’t think so, but tbh I got the impression they really had no idea if it could or not. I haven’t been able to see how it attaches at the bottom.
M1 has short brackets at the top and long brackets at the bottom picking up on one of the tie down ring mounting points:
Good 10.jpg
N1 had long brackets at the top and short brackets at the bottom picking up on the seat back bracket mounting for the M1:
GRENADIER INTERIOR REAR.jpg
Various different final fixings have been seen across the prototypes, but it would be nice if final fixings were tooless.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
M1 has short brackets at the top and long brackets at the bottom picking up on one of the tie down ring mounting points:
View attachment 7806068
N1 had long brackets at the top and short brackets at the bottom picking up on the seat back bracket mounting for the M1:
View attachment 7806069
Various different final fixings have been seen across the prototypes, but it would be nice if final fixings were tooless.
I received a commercial production vehicle yesterday so will take a look when I get chance.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if this will be robotised and/or surface finished in the prod version?

Thank you for taking the time to dig out the images @DCPU !
I think it is robotised, although I've not seen any footage of that actual process.

The spacings for the spotwelds appear to pick up on some of those already in the frame from a previous operation to strengthen the surround:
Screenshot_20221208_170444_com.android.chrome.jpg
There seems to be two school of thought on visible spotwelds, so it remains to be seen if Ineos make a deliberate feature out of a necessity or "tidy" the finish?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it is robotised, although I've not seen any footage of that actual process.

The spacings for the spotwelds appear to pick up on some of those already in the frame from a previous operation to strengthen the surround:
View attachment 7806074
There seems to be two school of thought on visible spotwelds, so it remains to be seen if Ineos make a deliberate feature out of a necessity or "tidy" the finish?
Oh, well spotted. In the category of first-world-problem for sure.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if this is a quick release??
If so, and the top anchors just lift up, that would be awesome. I opted not to buy it until I knew how “removable” it was.CD8E1640-39F1-4414-B65C-B3FBD566106C.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7806068
View attachment 7806069
Just a thought, I wonder if you could turn the barrier around?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If so, and the top anchors just lift up, that would be awesome. I opted not to buy it until I knew how “removable” it was.View attachment 7806084
It could be, it's been a plain screw/bolt in other iterations, although it still leaves a fairly large chunk of metal attached to the vehicle side.
3E16648B-D638-46EF-8ED1-3211C48013B1.jpeg

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If so, and the top anchors just lift up, that would be awesome. I opted not to buy it until I knew how “removable” it was.View attachment 7806084
The top hinges look like they have springs. I guess we won't know for sure how they release until cars with cargo barriers are in owners hands. I have one on order so am interested in this.

tophinge.jpg

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Can you explain that a little more?
The fixings are the same, top and bottom, IF the barrier can be turned 180 deg around the brackets would extend the barrier backward.
Does that make sense? 🙂

Back
Top Bottom