The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Public Service Announcement for Grenadiers with Premium Sound Package

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
+1 on this... Drove off with my new Grenadier without trying the stereo first, spent an hour of the ride home trying to mess around with the fader and a custom EQ only to come home and find this post. PSA to dealers: tune these sound systems prior to delivery... I thought I was going to be upgrading stereo as well, and was so disappointed in with what I thought was "Premium Sound" LOL. Gain knob was maxed out on mine... very easy to remove the sub and dial it in same way with tiny screwdriver
Thanks @motolatte, I just checked and my sub's gain was maxed out. Turned it down to 30-40 % and now I can fine tune with the knob. The premium sound is still not great but it will do for now.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
Any recent deliveries with the remote knob?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
Any recent deliveries with the remote knob?
From what I have been told the remote knob is not supposed to be installed or included; early ones that included it were a mistake

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From what I have been told the remote knob is not supposed to be installed or included; early ones that included it were a mistake
Which seems kinda dumb to me - unless the head unit now has those same controls. Which I do not believe is the case since there a physical knobs on the sub itself.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Which seems kinda dumb to me - unless the head unit now has those same controls. Which I do not believe is the case since there a physical knobs on the sub itself.
I bought a knob from JBL and it doesn't control anything. Not sure if the functionality is lost when they use the wiring harness.

The equalizer within the head unit does the same general thing as the knob would. It would be nice for an external gain/boost/freq control since the knobs are a pain to reach.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the external (remote) knob that isn't included is an attenuation interface from the "normal" level; with a sub this small, turning it down independently isn't a big concern (this can be accomplished by decreasing the bass on the head unit's EQ). The door speakers aren't putting out any massive bass either, so a systemic EQ change makes more of a difference. If you had a strong ported 10" (or a pair of 12"s), then I could absolutely see the desire to have a bass knob (so you can easily adjust between "normal listening" and the 2006 lyrical genius phrase of "you can see me before you hear me, I got King Kong in my trunk").

The real adjustments that make a notable difference are on the subwoofer itself (gain, bass boost, and low pass filter); ideally these are set once and never need to be touched again. Of course, the "proper" way to set them includes a test track, but if you aren't happy with where the sound is from the factory, it is also easy to do this yourself in about 2 minutes.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any info on how to remove the JBL sub on the “premium upgrade”? It’s mounted on a rack at 45 degrees - top bolt easy enough to get to on the rack, bottom 2 on the floor impossible to reach. Unscrew the sub from the rack from the back? And of course they used adhesive foam between the sub and the rack - just to make it harder.

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any info on how to remove the JBL sub on the “premium upgrade”? It’s mounted on a rack at 45 degrees - top bolt easy enough to get to on the rack, bottom 2 on the floor impossible to reach. Unscrew the sub from the rack from the back? And of course they used adhesive foam between the sub and the rack - just to make it harder.
super easy, pull out floor section and hit the two 10mm nuts on the posts, that will take out the bottom portion. make sure if you unplug the sub, that when you reconnect you hit the little push buttons on the side edge to turn it back on, took me a bit to figure that out when screwing with it not wearing my glasses.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep just figured it out - have to pull out the flooring to get access to those front 2 posts. Also, for those interested, here’s the link to the tuning instructions for the JBL Nano that Ineos installed. Do this, and your sound quality will go from awful to tolerable - in other words, “Premium”

That might have been nice to have, LOL, but me, the "blind squirrel", got the thing dialed in to what I would call Premium for the way that truck is set up. I'd say on par with the LC200 I own and my wife's D120. was absolute abomination of stereo when I drove it home from dealer.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That might have been nice to have, LOL, but me, the "blind squirrel", got the thing dialed in to what I would call Premium for the way that truck is set up. I'd say on par with the LC200 I own and my wife's D120. was absolute abomination of stereo when I drove it home from dealer.
I guess it’s all relative, right? I’m fine with it - it’s winning no awards but so much better than when I picked it up from the dealer.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I removed my bracket without pulling up the flooring (and added a different amp/sub). The hardest part was removing the JBL nano from the bracket. The 8 tiny bolts were a PIA to remove!

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oof - that was brave. I just did the 3 bolts - one top, 2 on the floor. Floor takes 30 seconds to pull up and pop back in.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oof - that was brave. I just did the 3 bolts - one top, 2 on the floor. Floor takes 30 seconds to pull up and pop back in.
I mounted a different amplifier on the L bracket. It had to come off.

Back
Top Bottom