The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Public Service Announcement for Grenadiers with Premium Sound Package

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody have setting recommendations for the “sub” itself? I’m pretty bad with audio stuff, but I found the power button at least…

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I am not an expert or even an amateur. On the sub, I set the bass at the center and the gain all the way down. I turned the music on at a reasonable level and then started increasing the gain until it sounded distorted then back it down. If you have the cable with the control knob (mine was missing) I would set that in the middle as well. That is the beginning and end of my knowledge so hopefully someone else will chime in.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am not an expert or even an amateur. On the sub, I set the bass at the center and the gain all the way down. I turned the music on at a reasonable level and then started increasing the gain until it sounded distorted then back it down. If you have the cable with the control knob (mine was missing) I would set that in the middle as well. That is the beginning and end of my knowledge so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Generally, if you have a bass knob on any subwoofer, it should be tuned with the knob all the way up (which is, effectively the same as not having the knob plugged in on most subwoofers; as the bass knob is an attenuator for input signal).

Ideally you want to turn the radio to the highest level it can before the audio begins to clip, and then, while playing a bass track (easy to find online, Kicker has these on their site for their KEY500.1 sub amp), slowly adjust the gain until distortion. The cross over frequency should be set before this, as well as any bass boost if the subwoofer has that feature. If you're going to mess with the EQ on the radio, do this before any of this tuning happens. This will make sure that there won't be any instance in normal listening that will cause any clipping or distortion to the subwoofer (which can damage it)

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
My sub starts clipping if I have it anything above minimum. (with the bass knob and eq on flat) I am sure I could turn down the bass with the EQ but the sub isn't big enough to do all the work. It sounds better to my ears when the door speakers push some bass as well. Sound seems to be improving after playing music for a couple of hours driving around today. I like a lot of highs and a lot of lows, I seem to always turn them up and midrange down.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anybody have setting recommendations for the “sub” itself? I’m pretty bad with audio stuff, but I found the power button at least…
Gain really needs to be done while you are listening, but the knob to about 11:00 isna good starting point.

Bass Boost should remain at zero.

The third knob is really up to you. If you listen to music with a lot of deep bass then you want it lower; brighter less bass music you can keep turning it right. This knob basically allows bass signals to reach the speaker. The more to the right you turn the higher frequency it allows.to reach the speaker.

Tune them while listening to music you like and it will make things easier.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It will stay on for a minute then goes off. If the key is nearby or the door opens that may trigger the light to come on.
Does the key/truck have wireless detection of some sort? I know it’s a physical key but thought that’s all it was beyond a clicky fob to open the doors.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the key/truck have wireless detection of some sort? I know it’s a physical key but thought that’s all it was beyond a clicky fob to open the doors.
I haven't figured out for sure what it is, but it certainly seems so. The boot up screen happens sometimes when I am walking up to the car with the key in my pocket; so something is up.

Haven't walked through all the scenarios as to why that may happen, whether unlocking is involved or just proximity.

Ari

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Picked up my Grenadier a few weeks ago. The sound was never right, even after trying to adjust the subwoofer under the rear seat. But I just thought it was typically average car audio and left it alone.

Flash forward to yesterday with my friend's new Grenadier. He didn’t have any bass at all. No problem showed him how to adjust the Gain (which was on Min). As we were doing this, I noticed he had a corded Subwoofer Adjustment knob not present on mine! Pic Below. Frustrating (obviously).

Borrowed his (It's kind of a pain to detach), plugged it into my subwoofer, and did the adjustment (I put it at the midpoint). Much, much, much better sound quality!

Here is a short video on the JBL Nano and its functions. Pics of the unit controls on the back of the unit below.

A Few Data Points:

1) I'm not a serious audiophile but the Premium Sound is decent enough (when adjusted correctly).

2) If your sound seems a little off or way off, it’s probably related to the Subwoofer Controls. 3 adjustments require a small screwdriver (Gain, Bass Boost, Low Pass Filter) and one that’s attached which is called the 'Remote Control.' The ones that require the screwdriver are a pain to locate (for the first time) and to adjust (Best to do this from the driver's side Rear). The Remote Control is easy if you have it! Pics Below

3) if you are playing around with these settings, pay attention to the on / off button on the back. Auto On should be on and you should see a Green Light.

4) If you are missing the corded Subwoofer Remote / Cable like I was, they are not readily available online so I will have to figure that out next week.

5) Based on these two Grenadiers, the Subwoofer comes installed but not configured. On one vehicle, all the controls were basically turned UP and the other turned all the way DOWN. If you are not getting any Bass, your Gain is probably turned all the way DOWN.

6) And this is the 'PSA' .... Look under the Right Rear Seat and make sure you have the Remote Control cable!
Offroad… thank you for the very detailed information. I picked up mine in mid December and could not understand why the “premium sound system “ was so lousy. After reading your post, I located the subwoofer and adjusted the volume on the woofer which was at minimum .
Sound is much better and now feels like a better premium sound system. Mine did have the adjustment knob connected to it .
Ari Pasadena California .

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I am upgrading my system and willing to sell my sub and mounting bracket if anyone is interested.

Local time
Reaction score
Wow, was about to spend $5k-$8k due to poor sound on "premium sound system" until I read this. My sub/amp under seat wasn't even turned on! Does anyone know good settings for the amp/sub and for the EQ? Those settings are above my knowledge base.

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, was about to spend $5k-$8k due to poor sound on "premium sound system" until I read this. My sub/amp under seat wasn't even turned on! Does anyone know good settings for the amp/sub and for the EQ? Those settings are above my knowledge base.
Post 27 of this very thread

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I used a tiny screwdriver to adjust my subwoofer settings. Couldn't stand how it sounded. Turns out Gain was turned all the way up! My Gren was vibrating. Turned it down to 30% or so and so much better to my ears. Still awaiting adjustment knob from dealership.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I used a tiny screwdriver to adjust my subwoofer settings. Couldn't stand how it sounded. Turns out Gain was turned all the way up! My Gren was vibrating. Turned it down to 30% or so and so much better to my ears. Still awaiting adjustment knob from dealership.
Not sure there is an adjustment knob. And if there is not sure it will work with how the system is wired.

JBL does make a plug in gain/boost module for other applications. Not sure if it works on this speaker.

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
+1 on this... Drove off with my new Grenadier without trying the stereo first, spent an hour of the ride home trying to mess around with the fader and a custom EQ only to come home and find this post. PSA to dealers: tune these sound systems prior to delivery... I thought I was going to be upgrading stereo as well, and was so disappointed in with what I thought was "Premium Sound" LOL. Gain knob was maxed out on mine... very easy to remove the sub and dial it in same way with tiny screwdriver

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
+1 on this... Drove off with my new Grenadier without trying the stereo first, spent an hour of the ride home trying to mess around with the fader and a custom EQ only to come home and find this post. PSA to dealers: tune these sound systems prior to delivery... I thought I was going to be upgrading stereo as well, and was so disappointed in with what I thought was "Premium Sound" LOL. Gain knob was maxed out on mine... very easy to remove the sub and dial it in same way with tiny screwdriver
How is your sub mounted? Mine is damn near impossible to remove because they used double sided stickem stuff.

Tried removing the brackets, but didn't get very far before realizing they were bolted under the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom