The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power for dash mounted devices

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
People are going to want to mount a range of devices on the dash at various times: dashcams, phones, tablets with off-road navigation, head up displays etc. and there are no USB power outlets on the binnacle, the closest ones are in the centre cubby box. However there is power to a couple of places in the footwells, I think one each side standard and an additional one in the passenger footwell with electrical preparation and high load panel. So thinking about ways to solve that in a neat but convenient and interchangeable way. My mind is going to mounting something like this behind the touchscreen and wiring to one of those points behind the dash, but wondering what other ideas people have?
BD99A803-D985-4E48-82EE-1BB20F43ADCF.jpeg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
People are going to want to mount a range of devices on the dash at various times: dashcams, phones, tablets with off-road navigation, head up displays etc. and there are no USB power outlets on the binnacle, the closest ones are in the centre cubby box. However there is power to a couple of places in the footwells, I think one each side standard and an additional one in the passenger footwell with electrical preparation and high load panel. So thinking about ways to solve that in a neat but convenient and interchangeable way. My mind is going to mounting something like this behind the touchscreen and wiring to one of those points behind the dash, but wondering what other ideas people have?
View attachment 7802823
@Tazzieman has a plan, he just won't share it with me. ;) :p :p :p

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
I also consider some USB port on dash and Roof - in particular to feed a dash cam. also I intend to use the mobile as a HUD and place it in front if steering wheel.
Only one topic is bugging me a bit - I do not want to drill any holes in the dash - on roof I could probably create some spare metal covers fitting in the roof console where sockets could be fitted and wiring can be secured. So any modification shall be in a way that it can be altered or removed with least possible traces.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7802823
If you have HEMA of similar on your phone you won't need it with Android Auto or Apple Carplay, not a fan of the HX-1. But there space for a mounted something there. I'm mounting my UHF beside the seat on the left with a magnetic base behind the panel where the heated seat knob would go for the hand piece.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
I do not want to drill any holes in the dash
The small display in front of the driver probably has a power source. If you disassemble it, you should be able to lead out a small bell wire and squeeze it between the mounting frame and the dashboard. For any voltage different than 12V, you can find step-down and step-up converters of any voltage and kind at aliexpress for no more than 5 euros (little power is needed). Plus, they're often small enough to solder them inline with the cable, hide it behind the HUD, or even tuck it underneath the small driver display.

Another idea is to run a thin wire under the dash through the vent duct and run it from the windshield vent to the HUD. This would just require drilling a 2mm hole somewhere in the air duct where it is not visible. This can easily be closed later to restore the original condition.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you have HEMA of similar on your phone you won't need it with Android Auto or Apple Carplay, not a fan of the HX-1. But there space for a mounted something there. I'm mounting my UHF beside the seat on the left with a magnetic base behind the panel where the heated seat knob would go for the hand piece.
HEMA doesn’t work on Carplay

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
I really am surprised that having supposedly thought about everything they didn’t think to put a 12v and a couple of usb ports at the back of the touchscreen. Every time I have seen overlanding set ups in Aus or SA they have that much stuff stuck to the windscreen and dashboard I am surprised they can see what’s in front of them.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well if I decide this unit doesn't keep doing a fine job I'll work out something else :)
Gunna be interesting on the dash? I have one as well but it ain’t going on the dash

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
What is HEMA? I presume it is so sort of Oz navigation system that's not available in the UK. If it is satellite based don't understand why.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is HEMA? I presume it is so sort of Oz navigation system that's not available in the UK. If it is satellite based don't understand why.
Hema is an Australian mapping company. They produce physical maps, digital mapping devices, and phone/iPad mapping apps.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s dedicated off road/4wd mapping, it works with GPS to show where you are on the map, but the map sizes are quite large and in a large percentage of the Australian continent there is no phone coverage so you need to have the maps downloaded to your device. In theory that still wouldn’t stop it working with Carplay, but the developers just haven’t made it compatible, possibly partly because they alse sell physical devices to run it on. But I have mine set up in an iPad which I usually mount on the dash with a RAM mount.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know, I was also joking
See @AnD3rew that’s the problem with an international forum if you don’t have a country of origin noted.
You could have been from one of those “other” places where they don’t get the humor. 😉
I did look before I posted.

Although I should have picked up the Hema reference- hey, it was early and I still had sleep in my eyes 🥴

Back
Top Bottom