The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Under dash UHF radio install

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
This is a short description of my install of my UHF radio under my steering wheel with the antenna (temporarily) attached to the grab rails. I'm still waiting for my roof rack. My vehicle is RHD with aux power. I used the grommet for my power outlets, under the grab bars. Removed the grab bar and fed the antenna through the grommet, along the roof inside, you'll see where to go once you take the grab bar off. Along the roof down the b pillar. Need to make sure you go behind the curtain airbag above the passenger door or you'll have a problem if you need it... To remove the B pillar trim, start at the bottom, remove the front door and rear door sill trim. Unscrew the bolts and lift the bottom piece off. There are two screws at the bottom of the next piece of trim which need to be removed and the top piece just clips in. You need a trim removal tool and be gentle. I have the removable hose out floor so lifted that in the front and rear. Once I got the cable to the ground, went under the middle of the chair as it was too tight where the wiring loom was. From there along rhs wiring loom on the floor on the RHS. I used the drivers side footwell power and the unit is a concealed one under my steering wheel behind the dash trim. Hardest part was getting the cable under the seat takes a bit of juggling... Sorry I didn't take pictures of the b pillar routing.

Attachments

• 20230705_193624.jpg
    20230705_193624.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 20230705_193628.jpg
    20230705_193628.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 20230705_194255.jpg
    20230705_194255.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 20230705_194724.jpg
    20230705_194724.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 20230705_215242.jpg
    20230705_215242.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 20230705_215255.jpg
    20230705_215255.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 353

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
This is a short description of my install of my UHF radio under my steering wheel with the antenna (temporarily) attached to the grab rails. I'm still waiting for my roof rack. My vehicle is RHD with aux power. I used the grommet for my power outlets, under the grab bars. Removed the grab bar and fed the antenna through the grommet, along the roof inside, you'll see where to go once you take the grab bar off. Along the roof down the b pillar. Need to make sure you go behind the curtain airbag above the passenger door or you'll have a problem if you need it... To remove the B pillar trim, start at the bottom, remove the front door and rear door sill trim. Unscrew the bolts and lift the bottom piece off. There are two screws at the bottom of the next piece of trim which need to be removed and the top piece just clips in. You need a trim removal tool and be gentle. I have the removable hose out floor so lifted that in the front and rear. Once I got the cable to the ground, went under the middle of the chair as it was too tight where the wiring loom was. From there along rhs wiring loom on the floor on the RHS. I used the drivers side footwell power and the unit is a concealed one under my steering wheel behind the dash trim. Hardest part was getting the cable under the seat takes a bit of juggling... Sorry I didn't take pictures of the b pillar routing.
Nailed it thanks, much appreciated. Is the radio unit attached by double sided tape or screwed in?

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nailed it thanks, much appreciated. Is the radio unit attached by double sided tape or screwed in?
I actually made a metal plate and put that on top of the metal bracket holding a control box under the steering wheel and screwed through holes in that bracket so no holes drilled in the vehicle. You could achieve the same result with big washers. You could probably get away with double sided tape as the dash trim should hold it in place

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s great info thanks. Now just want to hear from the first person to run an aerial cable through the firewall. I want my aerial out the front on the roo bar, not on the roof.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I actually made a metal plate and put that on top of the metal bracket holding a control box under the steering wheel and screwed through holes in that bracket so no holes drilled in the vehicle. You could achieve the same result with big washers. You could probably get away with double sided tape as the dash trim should hold it in place
cheers and thank you. I've seen an image of the box you refer to and will do the same. You have me thinking about the antenna mount as I was disappointed no mount is provided on the roo bar (after I was told it definitely has one). Suspect there will be less bouncing around of the antenna if it's mounted off the roo bar and will consider your present antenna position. Perhaps there's some clamp available for the grab rail to suit the below folding mount. I won't be getting a platform which could be another location for the antenna.

MB042B-Folding-Bracket1.jpg

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
cheers and thank you. I've seen an image of the box you refer to and will do the same. You have me thinking about the antenna mount as I was disappointed no mount is provided on the roo bar (after I was told it definitely has one). Suspect there will be less bouncing around of the antenna if it's mounted off the roo bar and will consider your present antenna position. Perhaps there's some clamp available for the grab rail to suit the below folding mount. I won't be getting a platform which could be another location for the antenna.

View attachment 7819259
I've ordered the Grenadier folding mount that should come with my roof racks when they arrive. The mount I have was basically the cheapest one that looked strong. The issue is the bar in the grab rail can twist in its mount so will need to watch and see if I need to do anything there

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've ordered the Grenadier folding mount that should come with my roof racks when they arrive. The mount I have was basically the cheapest one that looked strong. The issue is the bar in the grab rail can twist in its mount so will need to watch and see if I need to do anything there
ah thanks, yes the tube twisting in it's mount would be an issue. In due course can you tell me the diameter of the tube please and I'll start looking around but the mount you have looks to do the job for sure.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Drill a pilot hole through the mount and into the grab rail (on the "in-side" where it's not noticeable from the kerb) then insert a 6g stainless steel screw (15-20mm should suffice) to lock in place👍

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are at least two folding mounts. One from Rhino Rack the other from GME. I have the GME.

The folding mount can be fitted to the bullbar (you also need a 50mm bracket for the INEOS Roo Bar) or the roof rack.

You can side mount the folding bracket on the roof rack using a bracket from Razed.

Last edited:

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
ah thanks, yes the tube twisting in it's mount would be an issue. In due course can you tell me the diameter of the tube please and I'll start looking around but the mount you have looks to do the job for sure.
Diameter is 25mm... I'll find out in the next few days if the twisting is an issue, lots of corrugated roads coming up....

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
That’s great info thanks. Now just want to hear from the first person to run an aerial cable through the firewall. I want my aerial out the front on the roo bar, not on the roof.
There's a couple of good sized grommets under the bulkhead trim panels. These might be a good place to investigate?

Not forgetting what might be a large space behind the removable panel on the offside.

IMG_20230626_105636093.jpg
IMG_20230626_110733582.jpg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing - what radio did you install. Trying to get a feel for the dimensions allowed under the steering wheel.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Telliottaus Can you describe a bit more about this and particularly about how you might achieve this with big washers? I can’t how you did picture this?

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Telliottaus Can you describe a bit more about this and particularly about how you might achieve this with big washers? I can’t how you did picture this?
If you take off the trim, you can see there is a control box mounted under the steering wheel.this is held in place by a steel bracket that has cut outs to reduce weight. I just cut a small plate that covered some of the cutouts allowing me to screw the radio bracket to that plate through the cut out areas. You could maybe use big washers to bridge the cut outs and bolt through them if you weren't confident with making a plate.

Back
Top Bottom