The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Owl Vans Wheels

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Owl Vans wheels? They historically have specialized on offroad vans, it seems, but found they have some IG wheels/tires with dual valves.
They are advertised as rugged, durable and with very high weight ratings for each individual wheel, but are lighter than other named wheels. See link.

Any insight, thoughts, opinions are welcomed.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Owl Vans wheels? They historically have specialized on offroad vans, it seems, but found they have some IG wheels/tires with dual valves.
They are advertised as rugged, durable and with very high weight ratings for each individual wheel, but are lighter than other named wheels. See link.

Any insight, thoughts, opinions are welcomed.
FWIW, their weight ratings are overkill for 10k pound (overweight) Sprinters, they are definitely overkill for a Grenadier; although it's a great marketing line. I don't believe I've ever seen any wheel fail due to being overloaded on any over-GVWR "Overland" vehicle before(I'm almost positive an Aussie will prove me wrong on this though). The wheel weights are also a bit different because not all the wheels they compare with on their website are the same size (for instance, the Method 701 is a 17x7.5)

Their claim that offset increases off-road stability is, in theory accurate, but a total increase in track width of 50mm isn't going to be anything you will feel or recognize off road, and actual differences will also depend on tire width/sizing; again, awesome marketing line.

From what I can recall, their wheel line was only started about a year ago (a little before Agile came out with their wheels).

I have a number of their products on our Sprinter(rear ladder/tire carrier, rear storage carrier, and 2 different rear boxes we switch between) with no complaints, although, I can't say I would personally choose their wheels over another brand that specifically makes wheels.

Bottom line, if you like them, go for it; but do so because you like the style, price, or perhaps because they have dual valve stems, although, this too seems a bit marketing-gimmicky (the Sprinter folks live for it up though)

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
FWIW, their weight ratings are overkill for 10k pound (overweight) Sprinters, they are definitely overkill for a Grenadier; although it's a great marketing line. I don't believe I've ever seen any wheel fail due to being overloaded on any over-GVWR "Overland" vehicle before(I'm almost positive an Aussie will prove me wrong on this though). The wheel weights are also a bit different because not all the wheels they compare with on their website are the same size (for instance, the Method 701 is a 17x7.5)

Their claim that offset increases off-road stability is, in theory accurate, but a total increase in track width of 50mm isn't going to be anything you will feel or recognize off road, and actual differences will also depend on tire width/sizing; again, awesome marketing line.

From what I can recall, their wheel line was only started about a year ago (a little before Agile came out with their wheels).

I have a number of their products on our Sprinter(rear ladder/tire carrier, rear storage carrier, and 2 different rear boxes we switch between) with no complaints, although, I can't say I would personally choose their wheels over another brand that specifically makes wheels.

Bottom line, if you like them, go for it; but do so because you like the style, price, or perhaps because they have dual valve stems, although, this too seems a bit marketing-gimmicky (the Sprinter folks live for it up though)
Appreciate the thoughts and added context! I do like their talon wheels, but not 100% sure yet if I liie them more than others...... more browsing to do, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom