The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Overland Journal and the Grenadier

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
You can't actually go overlanding unless you are wearing tacti-cool shemaghs and post on Instagram... Those are just the rules
I’m screwed then. 😳. Or maybe I get instagram but then again all these tubers and inastagramers seem to spend their time looking through a lens or editing videos. I suppose if that’s how you make your living then that’s what you’ve got to do Including looking the part.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
You can't actually go overlanding unless you are wearing tacti-cool shemaghs and post on Instagram... Those are just the rules

You guys are super judgmental and gate-keeping a great hobby.

Without a tactical shemagh, how else are you supposed to grab the hot bits of the Skottle, huh?

And shut up about that 10 litre rotopax of gas I have mounted on my truck. That thing is critical as it extends my range by almost 20 kilometers. I can't tell you how many backcountry trips would have ended in disaster without that extra range.

None would have ended in disaster but like I said I can't tell you that.

And those maxtrax are mounted up there because they cost me $500, and I certainly don't want to mount them down low where they'll get dirty.

Way to harsh my vibe. I'm totally calling you guys out on my next Tik Tok for being so rude. And I might be dancing in it, but that's just because the algorithm prioritizes movement - I might be dancing happy but you'll see in my eyes that I'm actually quite upset with y 'all.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Jokes aside, I'm super excited for Scott's adventure in his Grenadier. He's a master of the social media aspect, and so I'm going to guess we'll get a lot of great images of the Gren doing cool stuff on his journey. I suspect he'll be a bit more cagey on the negatives, but the thing with a trip like this - negatives are a given. In my opinion and experience, negatives are only a deal breaker when we allow them to be so, otherwise they can really add to the experience of the adventure, and colour to the stories we tell in the years that follow.

Scott does tend to have expensive tastes in things like watches and other types of equipment but that's a two-fold thing - one, he's been successful and given a lot of Overland and Adventure travel enthusiasts an incredibly valuable online home, and two, the types of advertisers he has partnered with tend to be in the "premium" brand category. There's a market for that; I've always been more "Coleman pot metal" than "SnowPeak Titanium" in terms of my tastes, but there's plenty of room for both.

And while I did get a bit carried away above making fun of the typical "Show-verlander", I have to sheepishly admit that a Smeagh-style scarf is an incredibly versatile tool -- I travel with a plain grey one, and it's currently serving as a sling for my arm as I had a bit of an off on my bike and dislocated my shoulder, but it's also been a scarf, a water filter, a facemask, a pot handle, a towel, and many other things on many of my adventures.

Now if you'll excuse me my Maxtrax on my roof have some mud on them that I must go clean off.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Jokes aside, I'm super excited for Scott's adventure in his Grenadier. He's a master of the social media aspect, and so I'm going to guess we'll get a lot of great images of the Gren doing cool stuff on his journey. I suspect he'll be a bit more cagey on the negatives, but the thing with a trip like this - negatives are a given. In my opinion and experience, negatives are only a deal breaker when we allow them to be so, otherwise they can really add to the experience of the adventure, and colour to the stories we tell in the years that follow.

Scott does tend to have expensive tastes in things like watches and other types of equipment but that's a two-fold thing - one, he's been successful and given a lot of Overland and Adventure travel enthusiasts an incredibly valuable online home, and two, the types of advertisers he has partnered with tend to be in the "premium" brand category. There's a market for that; I've always been more "Coleman pot metal" than "SnowPeak Titanium" in terms of my tastes, but there's plenty of room for both.

And while I did get a bit carried away above making fun of the typical "Show-verlander", I have to sheepishly admit that a Smeagh-style scarf is an incredibly versatile tool -- I travel with a plain grey one, and it's currently serving as a sling for my arm as I had a bit of an off on my bike and dislocated my shoulder, but it's also been a scarf, a water filter, a facemask, a pot handle, a towel, and many other things on many of my adventures.

Now if you'll excuse me my Maxtrax on my roof have some mud on them that I must go clean off.
I’m with you. His content is better than most. I wouldn’t be a very good social media content maker even if I wanted to do it. I would say all the wrong things and get hardly any views and even less sponsorship. I’ll stick to making money doing what I’m OK at. As for my Maxtrax on the roof I hope I do get to use them as they cost a fortune although I only want to use them in sand as couldn’t bear to get them dirty. I’ve probably got way too much superfluous kit myself so can’t take the piss too much. 😂
I should go back to my old days with home made sand tracks strapped to the roof but am too decrepit to lift IMG_0151.jpeg them up there now 😳

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Wow... Y'all are a rough crowd! But I get it (;~)... I just wish I could have the life Scott has created for himself.....

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Wow... Y'all are a rough crowd! But I get it (;~)... I just wish I could have the life Scott has created for himself.....
I think what Scott has built is great, and I admit I have only listened to/watched a small percentage of his podcasts, but for some reason, my initial impression of him is that he is a silver spooned poseur. I'm happy to learn more and change my mind later, but that is my first impression.

RunBikeDive

🔺 🌎 🔺
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think what Scott has built is great, and I admit I have only listened to/watched a small percentage of his podcasts, but for some reason, my initial impression of him is that he is a silver spooned poseur. I'm happy to learn more and change my mind later, but that is my first impression.
😂😂HAaaaaaaa😂😂
"A silver spooned poseur." 🥄

Loc Nar for the win on this thread‼️‼️

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I gotta say, I have met Scott a couple of times at Overland Expos years ago (when he had the white G-wagen) and he was pretty cool. And I subscribed for years to the Journal. However, I dropped it and kinda lost faith in their online reviews, as they seem to have gone the route of "uncritical promotion" rather than in-depth reviews/comparisons since (I guess) Scott moved away from direct management of the Journal.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh this is nothing against Scott personally in any way... More so a joking jab at the "scene" on the whole

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

His spoon may be silver, but his tires and boots are well worn from adventure travel all over the world so poseur he is not in my experience with him - https://expeditions7.com/ is one of many examples.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like Scott dumped the (stupid?) idea to use bladders for fuel storage (that he touted on his preparation podcast!) and went with (tied and true!) Gerry cans!
Talking of Jerry cans. What do you all think of taking black/dark coloured Jerry cans full of petrol on the roof rack ? This is a petrol Grenadier I’m told

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Talking of Jerry cans. What do you all think of taking black/dark coloured Jerry cans full of petrol on the roof rack ? This is a petrol Grenadier I’m told
Yellow is the discerning man's choice

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For diesel.
Red for petrol.
Not in the U.K. There is no law in the U.K. governing which colour cans for petrol and diesel
However I would be concerned putting black Jerry cans full of petrol on the roof rack.
IMG_1821.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
If you see a car with a red can hanging off it , you hang back. Red = warning of explosion. First responders also know what they're dealing with in a crash situation.
And anyone who drinks from a yellow or red jerry is taking a chance that I wouldn't!
YMMV!

Back
Top Bottom