The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

More Options

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332754739]
Clearly they have a higher opinion of us in Australia because no flags are offered. 
They realise we don't care about a flag [/QUOTE]

haha I noticed that too. Cracks me up

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Arkaig userid=8627043 postid=1332755813]

I suspect for purists the US flag is the wrong way round in that it should be oriented so that the canton is towards the front of the vehicle, as if the flag were streaming backwards from its hoist as the vehicle moves forward.,[/QUOTE]I hope THE DEVELOPERS see this post, as it is absolutely correct.  Getting the U.S. flag backwards in the U.S. will be a big blunder.  It's completely understandable that ppl in other countries don't know this about the U.S. flag... which is why it's worth saying now before they produce this badge.  If it's cost isn't ridiculous it's something I'd be happy to buy in my build.  I called some phone number provided on the IG website to tell them.... some Indian guy picked up and took the information.  No idea if he will or not.  I'm not 100% sure he understood what it was I was saying.  I also tried to use the website's email, but it gave no indication that it sent my message.  Between the phone, email and this forum, if they get the U.S. flag wrong in 2023 that's a bad sign.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Ferrugenfish userid=9004165 postid=1332814726] I hope THE DEVELOPERS see this post, as it is absolutely correct.  Getting the U.S. flag backwards in the U.S. will be a big blunder.  It's completely understandable that ppl in other countries don't know this about the U.S. flag... which is why it's worth saying now before they produce this badge.  If it's cost isn't ridiculous it's something I'd be happy to buy in my build.  I called some phone number provided on the IG website to tell them.... some Indian guy picked up and took the information.  No idea if he will or not.  I'm not 100% sure he understood what it was I was saying.  I also tried to use the website's email, but it gave no indication that it sent my message.  Between the phone, email and this forum, if they get the U.S. flag wrong in 2023 that's a bad sign.[/QUOTE] Surely the flag faces different directions depending on where you are standing and which way the wind is blowing??? 
Do you have to run around to the other side of the flag pole so you don't get offended or upset?

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332815459]Surely the flag faces different directions depending on where you are standing and which way the wind is blowing??? 
Do you have to run around to the other side of the flag pole so you don't get offended or upset?
 [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you understand(?...)  It's just the correct way to fly the American Flag... worthy of getting right if you're trying to sell it in that country. 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332815459]Surely the flag faces different directions depending on where you are standing and which way the wind is blowing??? 
 [/QUOTE]

Not quite...? if the US flag is fully extended in the wind, then viewed from one side the emblem panel in the top left hand corner (the canton) containing the 'stars' is into the wind with the stripes trailing behind... viewed from the opposite direction the same panel is now in the top RH corner but still leading the striped section into the wind. Same with the Australian flag, the Union Jack emblem in the top LH corner  'leads' the stars into the wind. Viewed from the other side it's still 'leading' albeit it's now in the top RH side... 
It's the small details which the IG marketing geniuses need to concentrate on...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DenisM userid=8875352 postid=1332815752]

Not quite...? if the US flag is fully extended in the wind,  the emblem panel in the top left hand corner containing the 'stars' (the canton) is into the wind with the stripes trailing behind... viewed from the other side, the same panel now in the top rh corner but still leading the striped section into the wind. Same with the Australian flag, the Union jack emblem in the top LH corner  'leads' the stars into the wind. Viewed from the other side it's still 'leading' albeit it's now in the top RH side... 
It's the small details which the IG marketing geniuses need to concentrate on...[/QUOTE] Thanks. If it means that much to you then they should get it right. I can't speak for everyone in Australia but pretty sure most people would just laugh and think it's just a flag, a bit of cloth with some stuff on it, so no big deal. Flags change over time.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
I hope, they'll put the German flag in the right direction. 🙃

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332815778]Thanks. If it means that much to you then they should get it right. I can't speak for everyone in Australia but pretty sure most people would just laugh and think it's just a flag, a bit of cloth with some stuff on it, so no big deal. Flags change over time.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I'd agree with you Dave,  it's a symbol of what we hold dear as a community and what it represents that makes it special. It's interesting to see how many vehicles on the road around 26th January each year have an Australian flag attached to an aerial ...many flying more than one! My dear African refugee mates ...now Australian citizens, received a flag on the day of their naturalisation ceremony. They had it framed behind glass and mounted on their lounge-room wall to remind themselves of what it means to accepted.... My many work trips to the USA over 20 yrs reinforced the importance of 'the flag' in the national psyche...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I love Australia day and we usually have a BBQ with all our friends around, from about 10 different countries. 
We fly the flag, but if the flag was changed we would fly the new one, if someone put it back to front or as happened a couple of years ago one person brought a New Zealand flag by mistake, then we laugh about it. It's the country and the people we love, the flag is just a current symbol. My grandfather fought in the first world war, my father fought in the Korean war and my son has been in the Army for the last 15 years. None of them fought for the flag, they all are there for their country and their mates.  

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys, it is not about the flag per se. It is about the direction it is facing on each side of the vehicle. The “pole side” should always be facing the front of the vehicle i.e into wind. So on the right hand side of the vehicle, the flag should appear back to front. Yes is does matter to the few of us that understand it.

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
All in all, it's safe to say that for those who don't care if the flag is presented correctly or not probably won't be buying the National Plaque option on the IG, so it should be done right for those who do care, cause they're they one's who would consider adding it to their spec. It would be pretty cool if there was a get-together for IG owners in these respective countries (I'm in the U.S.), and see all the country flags on their rigs, even just to quickly help see the diversity of the gathered group, how far we've all come to enjoy each other's company and love of the great outdoors, overlanding, or just our very functional rigs. We just gotta get those flags to be correct (for the flags of countries that have official ways of "flying" the flag. If you're actually literally flying the flag, it will auto-correct itself hehe. 

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Has the July production line cranked up yet?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Ferrugenfish userid=9004165 postid=1332817986]All in all, it's safe to say that for those who don't care if the flag is presented correctly or not probably won't be buying the National Plaque option on the IG, so it should be done right for those who do care, cause they're they one's who would consider adding it to their spec. It would be pretty cool if there was a get-together for IG owners in these respective countries (I'm in the U.S.), and see all the country flags on their rigs, even just to quickly help see the diversity of the gathered group, how far we've all come to enjoy each other's company and love of the great outdoors, overlanding, or just our very functional rigs. We just gotta get those flags to be correct (for the flags of countries that have official ways of "flying" the flag. If you're actually literally flying the flag, it will auto-correct itself hehe. [/QUOTE]
You will be able to tell the ones from Australia, they will have their chairs out, awning open, drink in hand and smiles on. 

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi Les.
Good to have you on the forum.
Given that you have purchased a Toyo, can I ask as to where you see yourself and Ineos in the future. Are you looking at ordering one in the short term still, or is it more of a medium to long term proposition for you?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Les Hiddins  Bushguide userid=8850676 postid=1332965948]Has the July production line cranked up yet?[/QUOTE]
I saw something when I was in Switzerland last week which said they had started manufacture of production product for distribution to dealers but haven't seen anything from Ineos

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Firstly I wont be paying the Luxury Car Tax thats for sure. The Toyota LC GXL will pull back all the financial outlay when it comes time to sell in in the next year or so. From what Ive seen the grenadier is a fine product but there need to be some support established in the Australian outback and that needs to be done quickly otherwise it will sell to Gentleman Farmers in the South East corner, and not those who now buy GXL Toyotas to run their cattle and sheep stations. Its very simple and Ineos are currently following the disastrous example set by Land Rover in recent years.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Les Hiddins  Bushguide userid=8850676 postid=1332966043]Firstly I wont be paying the Luxury Car Tax thats for sure. The Toyota LC GXL will pull back all the financial outlay when it comes time to sell in in the next year or so. From what Ive seen the grenadier is a fine product but there need to be some support established in the Australian outback and that needs to be done quickly otherwise it will sell to Gentleman Farmers in the South East corner, and not those who now buy GXL Toyotas to run their cattle and sheep stations. Its very simple and Ineos are currently following the disastrous example set by Land Rover in recent years.[/QUOTE]
I just did a quick look at Darwin Townsville Cairns etc and found service centres there. They say there are  170 locations around Australia but hard to find a list on their website. Ineos also clearly state they will provide all drawings and information so any mechanic or even individual can do the service without voiding the warranty. 
That seems reasonable to me. 
What in particular were you looking for? 

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier "Retail Partner" here in Townsville is a multi franchise monstrosity that i have had very mixed servicing experiences from across the range of their service departments.
Thankfully their BMW servicing department was the one i had good experiences with, so fingers crossed they will be the one used for the Grenadier if i have to get any warranty work done.  
Regular servicing will be done by an independent unless of course if any roadside assistance offered is tied to using their service department

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Greg userid=8995637 postid=1332966160]The Grenadier "Retail Partner" here in Townsville is a multi franchise monstrosity that i have had very mixed servicing experiences from across the range of their service departments.
Thankfully their BMW servicing department was the one i had good experiences with, so fingers crossed they will be the one used for the Grenadier if i have to get any warranty work done.  
Regular servicing will be done by an independent unless of course if any roadside assistance offered is tied to using their service department[/QUOTE]
The Bosch Automotive Service centres are  approved by Ineos but will need to undergo training once production vehicles are here. No point training them on prototypes I guess. Pretty much any good mechanic has a scanner to plug into OBD etc. 
You seem to be taking a more positive approach than others Greg. 
Some people seem to be looking at any possible negative. 
Toyota has a great service and support network because they have been in Australia for 80++ years. 
I bet some whining old farts  back in 1960 were saying "I will never buy one of those crap Jap Toyota's, they don't have anywhere near the history, dealer or service network that a ford has".

Back
Top Bottom