The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

More Options

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes just a heads up the picture of the Utility window you posted was a gullwing window.  ?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Paul  OzyExplorer userid=8618888 postid=1330213693]I have a ladder on my 76 series Landcruiser but hardly used it, so I mounted my Maxtrax and shovel on there.  Photo taken in Simpson desert.[/QUOTE]

The Simpson desert has been on my 'bucket list' for almost 30 yrs. but work and family seemingly made it nigh on impossible.... times change..  that trip and other far flung places are the motivation for my having forked out the 'reservation' $$$ as soon as I could. Waiting for April for the next tranche!!?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have only been through the configurator about 500 times but have finally settled on my configuration, subject to pricing. 
I changed country to the US and they get short changed on the options available to them. 
The Wagon in petrol only. 
No Utility options 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
> I have only been through the configurator about 500 time

? ?

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In Germany the Utility 5-seater N1 comes with cargo barrier as standard. It is removable and can be substituted by the cargo net which is an extra.
I found out when I ordered the net and looked at the picture of my order. There you see both.
A call to Ineos confirmed this.

BTW: The rear seats in the Utility are defintively foldable, also confirmed by Ineos.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 92

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Karl-

Isn't that something to do with German regulations for station wagons.

When we lived in Luxembourg (next door!) - it was law to have a net or mesh barrier when carrying goods/pets etc. in the back of our station wagon/SUV.

Once my wife got pulled over on the motorway by police doing 140kph. Thinking it was going to be a speeding ticket - nah- it was for not having the net up with 2 dogs in the back!

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Mark,German regulations require a separated load area for a car to be a commercial vehicle (N1). It must have at least 50% of the inner area for cargo also. Only then you pay tax for N1 cars which is 160€ for the Grenadier, but about 1000€ for it as Stationwagon. Unfortunetly the insurance is about 50-70% higher because commercial vehicles like the all around small transporters in this category have more accidents. ?

The cargo barrier and the less space for rear passengers due to the rear seats moved forward 7cm makes it possible for the Grenadier to be a commercial vehicle. And of course you are required to secure the load in the compartment with barrier or net no matter if dogs or fridge.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK Karl.

So Germany is the same as the UK then - the rear seat in the standard or utility SW (as distinct from the two Belstaff SW) is moved forward 79mm to slightly enlarge the cargo area, add the mandatory barrier and like magic - you now have a "commercial" vehicle & significantly reduced annual tax (registration?) charge.

Whereas, for example, in Australia the determination of a "commercial" vehicle based on it's load carrying capacity; how much weight can it carry in addition to the passengers. This is why is Australia, South Africa, the US, etc. the second row seats are fixed the same irrespective of the three types of 5 seat SW.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting fact about the australian regulations I did not realize.

There is a still a uncertainty if german customs - they collect the tax - will accept the Utility as a commercial vehicle. They have been very inconsistent about this in the past. My Defender 90HT with only 2 seats had to been shown to one of their offices to verify the state of the car. Absurd.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if it will be possible to move back the rear seats later when I own the car.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=blueTdi userid=8917020 postid=1332742204]I wonder if it will be possible to move back the rear seats later when I own the car.[/QUOTE]

Almost certainly. It will only be some brackets that need to be swapped out or modified.

the legality of this though may be questionable

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Presume the more upright seats in the standard SW version are fixed angle and if the seat bottom mounts can be moved rearwards inline with the Belstaff Editions then the angle of dangle remains the same for the backs. Or perhaps there's more differences like smaller seat (bottom) area - will be interesting to see.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Spjnr userid=8443805 postid=1332742249]

Almost certainly. It will only be some brackets that need to be swapped out or modified.

the legality of this though may be questionable[/QUOTE]

I suspect modifying the seat brackets wouldn't be a simple task, they look sturdy!

Also it looks like the load barrier in the standard (non Belstaff) SW is bolted into the slot where the seat back hasp/latch sits in the Belstaff versions:

The cargo barrier also has a a mounting bracket that throws it forward at roof height. It would be good to know if the seat backs could recline a bit more if the cage is removed, as they look quite upright in the configurator. My guess is no, as the latching hasp is a fixed point:

Attachments

• IMG_4608.jpg
    IMG_4608.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 88
  • SW2.jpg
    SW2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 89
  • SW1.jpg
    SW1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 84

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I just noticed on the US Configurator you can get a little flag on the side. Just in case you forget which country you are in

Attachments

• Flag.png
    Flag.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 82

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332754478] 
I just noticed on the US Configurator you can get a little flag on the side. Just in case you forget which country you are in[/QUOTE]

£100+ For some vinyl sticker!! sometimes these marketers do think of us as buffoons ?‍♂️

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Paachi userid=8372535 postid=1332754581]

£100+ For some vinyl sticker!! sometimes these marketers do think of us as buffoons ?‍♂️[/QUOTE]
Clearly they have a higher opinion of us in Australia because no flags are offered. 
They realise we don't care about a flag 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332754739]
Clearly they have a higher opinion of us in Australia because no flags are offered. 
They realise we don't care about a flag [/QUOTE]

I was sorely tempted  to make a 'political' observation  about future flag design and the winds of change in Australia  ? but this is a family forum so I'll behave (being an old man in a hurry....  ?)

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1332754478] 
I just noticed on the US Configurator you can get a little flag on the side. Just in case you forget which country you are in[/QUOTE]

I suspect for purists the US flag is the wrong way round in that it should be oriented so that the canton is towards the front of the vehicle, as if the flag were streaming backwards from its hoist as the vehicle moves forward.,

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Arkaig userid=8627043 postid=1332755813]

I suspect for purists the US flag is the wrong way round in that it should be oriented so that the canton is towards the front of the vehicle, as if the flag were streaming backwards from its hoist as the vehicle moves forward.,[/QUOTE]
Flags tend to be double sided so just pretend you are standing on the other side
The US make such a big deal about their flag when it constantly changes anyway
Since the founding of the United States in 1776, there have been 27 different versions of the flag featuring the stars and stripes. 
The flag itself isn't important it is the notion/symbolism of the flag that is the issue and flags can change over time.

Back
Top Bottom