The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Melbourne Drive Day

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @DCPU I didn’t realize that the Gearmate ones were thee drawers. I rarely have people in my back seat but I can’t commit to always leaving it down. I can’t imagine getting any draw system in and out is easy.

Side note - I love that Ineos is trying to partner with UK companies like Gearmate.
I love that Ineos is trying to partner with some of the world’s best companies (nearly) no matter where they are from.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
I love that Ineos is trying to partner with some of the world’s best companies (nearly) no matter where they are from.
Thanks @DCPU I didn’t realize that the Gearmate ones were thee drawers. I rarely have people in my back seat but I can’t commit to always leaving it down. I can’t imagine getting any draw system in and out is easy.

Side note - I love that Ineos is trying to partner with UK companies like Gearmate.
And RED WINCH.

Warn would have been an easy option, but they went with RED, a smaller company started by enthusiasts

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more than 100mm:
View attachment 7797622
And Justin Hocevar has confirmed the rear drawers will create a flat platform in the rear.
View attachment 7797623
Yes I concur, that’s much more like DaveB‘s suggestion 😂

I went to ARB this arvo and they had ZERO idea of Ineos or anything remotely associated with it..
they did however say their Roof Racks are significantly cheaper <$2000 (and better.. bias?) than Rhino racks.

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I went to ARB this arvo and they had ZERO idea of Ineos or anything remotely associated with it..
This does not surprise me one bit. I think anyone waiting for ARB to launch a full suite of accessories will be waiting for a very very long time I suspect.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This does not surprise me one bit. I think anyone waiting for ARB to launch a full suite of accessories will be waiting for a very very long time I suspect.
Yes they did say even if they do develope accesories it may be 9-12 months before we see anything anyway with testing, reg’s etc etc.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There was a rumour/fact circulating a few months ago that ARB is being given one of the PTO1 cars by INEOS to help them develop products suitable for the Grenny - if so, ARB must be serious.

ARB are big so I guess ARB products for the Grenny will come next year.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I concur, that’s much more like DaveB‘s suggestion 😂

they did however say their Roof Racks are significantly cheaper <$2000 (and better.. bias?) than Rhino racks.
just my thought but :-
They may have been sworn to secrecy. I don’t think many aftermarket suppliers will put their hand up until the actual vehicle is officially launched and first deliveries are made.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was also on the Melbourne drive and can echo @Davman's review comments.
Fantastic car.
One thing we did (with the permission of the Ineos team member), was take out the drivers side floor mat to see how big the hump was below the footrest. It's not that big a hump but the floor mat itself has a large amount of acoustic insulation in that area (because that's where the exhaust is). Perhaps some home experimentation with tuning the amount of insulation to reach a compromise of a more comfortable footrest, but a little more noise, could be done?
For me, it was not a major issue.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was also on the Melbourne drive and can echo @Davman's review comments.
Fantastic car.
One thing we did (with the permission of the Ineos team member), was take out the drivers side floor mat to see how big the hump was below the footrest. It's not that big a hump but the floor mat itself has a large amount of acoustic insulation in that area (because that's where the exhaust is). Perhaps some home experimentation with tuning the amount of insulation to reach a compromise of a more comfortable footrest, but a little more noise, could be done?
For me, it was not a major issue.
Yes Steveo,

see my picture above of the underneath section.

The INEOS rep said the aftermarket will probably come up with a 'tighter" fitting floor mat.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
just my thought but :-
They may have been sworn to secrecy. I don’t think many aftermarket suppliers will put their hand up until the actual vehicle is officially launched and first deliveries are made.
The junior sales person or fitter at the ARB shop will not be involved in future product discussions, which may involve non-disclosure agreements.
I looked at a job as a manager at one of these outlets a few years ago to discover they get paid about what I spend on wine each year.
probably even the manager of a store is not involved in future product discussions

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My grandson once asked me
What do I have to do to get that guys job
I said
Don't try very hard in life.
I left school when I was 15 and left home a week later with $50 and nowhere to go.
45 years later I am buying a Grenadier

Last edited:

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am highly adaptable
I recently cracked a magnum of 1996 Koonungha Shiraz Cab at a dinner with a few mates at the local Viet. Pretty good for a real cheapy, no 389 but it still had a little bit of life

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
Justin Hocevar said in one of the Perth videos that they are talking and supplying dimensions to aftermarket guys...I spoke more than a year ago to TJM here in Australia who are now franchised retail aftermarket 4WD suppliers...I spoke to the head office and was told that they would be working towards supplying accessories...at one stage many moons ago they were shipping to Toyota Bullbars that were going on to the Landcruiser before they were delivered...TJM franchise owners and managers today are not part of the head office...I designed one of their first logos that incorporated their surname's initial letters Taylor, Jones and Mollenhauer...TJM has been helping adventures into the unknown since 1973. Started by three mates who took the initiative and built the gear they needed to explore off-road...In 1981 they built all of my gear for my trip around, through and in Australia...Same as ARB they build tuff stuff...happy motoring

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that the modular nature of the Gearmate products, and the extensive range they show on their website, means the single drawer we have seen is just an example of what will be offered and not just the only option.
View attachment 7797740
View attachment 7797741
I especially like that large slide out tray. As we travel with everything in stackable plastic storage cases.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I went on the drive day in early December and echo many of the comments expressed before. I have a 2-seater Trialmaster on order with winch, roof rack and a few other bits and pieces optioned.

Centre Console: someone mentioned it being being too small - compared to my JGC (which has a CD player in the centre console) the IG bin is cavernous so for me this is not a negative. The glovebox is extremely small but I think I can live with that.

Sound System: the IG representative chose to demonstrate the sound system - let's just say I'm going to miss the Alpine 10 speaker sound system in my JGC!

Turning Circle: is WIDE and I'm going to have to relearn driving a live axle vehicle. I had to make a 90 degree left turn into a gate and let's just say the gatepost would have been toast if I had kept going. I'll be practicing in my D2 for a while and will have to reconsider many of the U turns that I currently undertake in my JGC.

Turbo Lag: at one point in the drive the IG representative suggested that I "hoof it" and I was rather disappointed when I was not shoved back into the seat by a burst of raw power from the otherwise very impressive, inline 6 cylinder engine. It felt pretty much like my single turbo JGC V6 which was a revelation after driving a 2.5 litre Disco for many years. The turbo lag was noticeable and also confirmed by a friend who came along and also had the opportunity to take the IG for a spin.

Footrest: The footrest was apparently designed by an ergonomic engineer! I'm willing to bet that he/she has never spent 8 hours behind the wheel of an IG. I'll wait until I have spent that amount of time behind the wheel of mine and see if it needs to be changed. I know that it is fixable without having to cut out any sheet metal.

Side Step: I'm not sold on the side steps as they stick out too far for my liking. I don't really need rock sliders and they are not really a good side step. I'll probably make my own similar to those I have on my D2 or have some custom fabricated.

Roo Bar: no antennae mounts so I'll wait to see what the aftermarket has to offer.

I have specified the winch even though the rope is not long enough but I'll deal with that once I have the vehicle in my hoy little hands.

There are many things that I will miss on my JGC but if the IG proves to be robust and reliable then I'll be a happy camper who can live without a lot of the niceties. The IG does however have all the non- negotiable "must haves" in a vehicle and I can't find any deal breakers.

Attachments

• IMG-20221204-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20221204-WA0017.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20221204-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20221204-WA0011.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20221215_165520.jpg
    20221215_165520.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG-20221204-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20221204-WA0007.jpg