The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Melbourne Drive Day

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
The keyboard critics will have to go back and eat their words!
I never doubted how good this vehicle would be. And I can live with a small glovebox because the gloves are being stuffed under the front seat :D

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just returning to the infamous RHD footrest issue;

I just remembered I pulled up the rubber flooring and revealed how it unnecessarily increases the width of the footrest by extending past the edge of the floor pan - why??

Maybe there is a way an owner could reshape the rubber to reduce the width so that one could rest a left foot besides the brake (hot air gun to reshape?)

IMG_6598.JPG

Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score

I just remembered I pulled up the rubber flooring and revealed how it unnecessarily increases the width of the footrest by extending past the edge of the floor pan - why??

Maybe there is a way an owner could reshape the rubber to reduce the width so that one could rest a left foot besides the brake (hot air gun to reshape?)

View attachment 7797310
Clever bug ! That'll help us LHDs with passenger foot room.

Well done !

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7797310
So many people who have driven the vehicle don't see it as a problem, myself included, but it keeps coming up.
You would need to be over 6'6" for it to become an issue
But a major issue???

Reactions: Max

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great write up. Thank you. Any pics to contribute?
Too many photos to post, so just a few interesting ones. They had two Trialmasters to drive, and the blue field master to climb around. Great day, smiles all round.

Attachments

• A098D4D4-57C3-4BBA-B3F7-387F4CDB9792.jpeg
    A098D4D4-57C3-4BBA-B3F7-387F4CDB9792.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • 47A72B71-1CFF-46AF-956B-2F123FFB3559.jpeg
    47A72B71-1CFF-46AF-956B-2F123FFB3559.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 91D62C4C-4722-44DE-B4A9-41B09198523F.jpeg
    91D62C4C-4722-44DE-B4A9-41B09198523F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • 4FA570F0-1D6D-4B01-A9A5-09F555598049.jpeg
    4FA570F0-1D6D-4B01-A9A5-09F555598049.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 21931A0F-0EA7-41A3-90C2-586AED20BAFB.jpeg
    21931A0F-0EA7-41A3-90C2-586AED20BAFB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
  • BE80CA6A-2731-4AFB-8394-C51DDE6B93A9.jpeg
    BE80CA6A-2731-4AFB-8394-C51DDE6B93A9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score
The blue with white roof looks nice! And I do love how integrated the winch is and I imagine it's pretty well protected from the elements with the need for a cover.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Clever bug ! That'll help us LHDs with passenger foot room.

Well done !
Is there really an issue regarding the co driver foot room for LHD vehicles?
At my test drive I might have been a little bit focused on the driver’s seat. But as I sat on the right seat as well there doesn’t seem to be a problem without the pedals in your way at all.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great Thanks to Davman, Grenadierboy and the other guys! I like to read such things!
SPACE PROBLEM? I´ve heard the same things about the Land Rover Defender. But then I was driving the TD5 of a friend. I had a lot of fun at the end of highway construction sites, when I used the 170 (!) Horsepowers of his tuned engine to make a jump - and the headlights of the other cars became smaller and smaller... that was funny. I was driving the defender about 300 kms, and I had no space problem (I am 1.88m long) in it.
Every offroad car has it´s goods and bads...
My old toyota once had a handling in curves like a sports car - but after the stabilzer was disambled ("You don´t need it") and after I took the heavy spare wheel on the roof - well, don´t talk about, I had to slow down....
My INEOS will not get such a heavy roof package - I have learned!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
grrrrrrr, roobar and chequering, grrrrr some more. green with envy
Just on the issue of checker plate.

When I mentioned I may put my own checker plate on the car at a later date - an INEOS rep responded that the factory fitted checker plate had "extra reinforcement" on the underside of the wing panel but I forgot to look to see what it was.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I checked the Fieldmaster that was there, that didn’t have any checker plate. There is no way that I would be standing on that panel as it was. It would definitely need some additional supports underneath.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All. Just wanted to post a few of my thoughts from seeing and driving the car today, as well as perhaps adding a few additional bits of info. Hopefully some of the Melbourne guys can add some additional thoughts.

1/ The car is even better in the flesh than I could of imagined - I cannot wait to get mine. My brother came with me, and was lucky enough to get a drive too - now he wants one.
2/ It drives extremely well with heaps of power in the diesel, mated to a perfect gearbox with almost indiscernable gear changes.
3/ It will drive very nicely on the black top, with the subtle suspension absorbing a lot of the terrible Australian road conditions. At full speed, it just absorbed any of the divots and drains that we were able to drive over. They mentioned that they had a large aftermarket suspension supplier think that they could do a better job of the suspension tuning for the Australian market than Inoes had done. After a drive in the vehicle, the owner of said company apologised for his previous remarks.
4/ The stereo system has good sound for a 4x4 truck, about on par with standard vehicle systems - certainly not a fantastic sound system though.
5/ They still do not have a solution for Solar setups on the roof of the car, connecting into the battery system.
6/ The raised air intake can be fitted later on at any stage.
7/ In Australia about 70% of vehicles ordered are Diesels, and about 70% are Trialmasters.
8/ When connecting a large trailer, the vehicle has trailer sway control, however it does not change the gearbox shift patterns/engine revs based on the fact that is now towing - Thank goodness. Apparently it has a cracker of a transmission cooler too - good to know for towing in the Oz heat.
9/ Yes the winch does involve changing the front suspension setup. Just adding a Roo Bar does not change the suspension.
10/ Strangely the car felt a little smaller than I imagined - in physical size, as well as the way it handled. However there is plenty of legroom and passenger room. My son and I are both over 6ft, and sitting behind me he had plenty of legroom.
11/ The Recaro seats are the best cars seats I have ever sat in.
12/ The drivers side footrest is a double edged sword. I can imagine on very long drives, that you would find it hard to stretch your left leg, unless you stretched it above the brake pedal. However the wide footrest certainly didn't change any driving position or feel uncomfortable during the brief drive. In fact in off roading situations I think the large footrest comes in handy as it provides a firm footrest to push back against as you are attempting steep declines.
13/ There is minimal body roll in my opinion, and I would consider far less than any other vehicles of this size and weight.
14/ Like many have commented it feels like a Strong rigid vehicle - tank like but nimble at the same time.
15/ Like a tank, it feels like it could go anywhere, and immediately instills confidence in you as the driver that you can conquer the terrain. Nothing was too hard for it, in low gear or no low gear.
16 / The Safari roof sits forward of the head position of the driver, so if you are a balding bloke like me, then you are effectively sitting in the shade. The window is coated in a reflective coating. I don't usually like Sunroofs, but this one was not too bad.
17/ They indicated that they are still finalising some small unique items for Australian certification, but sounded like they are nearly there.

This is a good start, I may think of others to add.
However overall, it is an awesome package, and even though these cars were the ones brand new off the docks this week, they were still PT02's, with many things still to be rectified, I can only imagine how much better the full production cars will be.
Thanks for this, can’t wait for my drive on the weekend. I have to say INEOS has been overall pretty light on the BS for a car company, but I call BS on the ergonomic expert on the footrest. I have little doubt that after all the feedback they would have changed it if they could, but to me at least it’s pretty obvious they had no choice due to position of DPF/exhaust etc.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7797310
I have no doubt that if it’s doable someone will do it and post about it. In fact I may get my product designer son to measure it up and 3D print me something

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for this, can’t wait for my drive on the weekend. I have to say INEOS has been overall pretty light on the BS for a car company, but I call BS on the ergonomic expert on the footrest. I have little doubt that after all the feedback they would have changed it if they could, but to me at least it’s pretty obvious they had no choice due to position of DPF/exhaust etc.
100% agree

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if he's just referring to some form of load spreading washer to ensure the rivets don't pull through too easily; or a length of angle or channel linking the rivets?

It's interesting that the Puma versioned old Defenders really needed extra support but I only ever found one supplier, Entreq, that made a fix:
View attachment 7797388

And if you want to see exquisite chequerplate then look no further than this:

How many suppliers quote you an R value?
That's pretty impressive

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The INEOS rep made 3 comments about the RHD footrest:

1. "I've driven more than 20,000km in the Grenadier and not thought it was a problem"
2. "anyway, there was no issue to make it smaller but it's actually been designed by an ergonomic expert"
3. "pull back the rubber flooring and see the gap between. I'm sure the aftermaket will have a solution for those that need it"

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Excellent photo. 👌

I wonder if the air gap is deliberate due to heat build up, either generally when warm or particularly when undergoing a dpf regeneration?
I thought as it’s scr/ad-blue technology there is no need for regen, that’s what the urea is being injected for, to reduce emissions and reduce soot. I have ad- blue on my Q5 and two of my tractors and none of them regen. The tractors only seem to use ad-blue when under load as over the winter when they’re not under pressure there is very little drop in the tank level.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought as it’s scr/ad-blue technology there is no need for regen, that’s what the urea is being injected for, to reduce emissions and reduce soot. I have ad- blue on my Q5 and two of my tractors and none of them regen. The tractors only seem to use ad-blue when under load as over the winter when they’re not under pressure there is very little drop in the tank level.
As the "wading-mode" takes out the regeneration you can be quite sure that there will be a regeneration in other circumstances. As far as I know The AD-Blue injection does not mean that there is no need for a filter regeneration from time to time as there are still ashes to burn away.

Back
Top Bottom