The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Melbourne Drive Day

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
I suppose it helps i live 600ft up. Noah isnt on my xmas card list and the dpf gets a good roasting everytime on the way home.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
I thought as it’s scr/ad-blue technology there is no need for regen, that’s what the urea is being injected for, to reduce emissions and reduce soot. I have ad- blue on my Q5 and two of my tractors and none of them regen. The tractors only seem to use ad-blue when under load as over the winter when they’re not under pressure there is very little drop in the tank level.
Are you sure?

AFAIK scr/adblue/DOC/agr are for lowering NOx emissions, DPF for particles. Never heard of a DPF that doesn't need regeneration. But non of the diesels I know inform th driver that a DPF regeneration is in progress, which I find seriously annoying: My passat B8 240 BiTDi e.g. often regenerates at the end of my ~120km drive home (20km normal road, 80km Autobahn 180-200km/h, then 15km country roads again, last 15km at120km/h). This profile seems to trigger DPF regeneration 5...10min prior to arrival; very often when I arrive and turn the engine off, the radiator fans are running for additional ~10min and you can smell the heat. I then drive another 10kms to finish the regeneration cycle.

Why do they not inform you that regeneration is currently running, probably with an estimated time to finish? Something I would really appreciate in the Gren!
At my test drive in Welzheim the instructor showed me that in the Gren transfer case oil temp is measured and displayed, which I find really cool. She said that INEOS' philosophy is to give the driver as much as information possible; for me a "DPF reg in progress" info would be something I would appreciate.

At least for the Q5 I doubt that it doesn't regenerate. And also for the tractors (not knowing what type they are). Certain mfgr(s?) of tractor engines have managed to get rid of agr, but not DPF for stage V.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Are you sure?

AFAIK scr/adblue/DOC/agr are for lowering NOx emissions, DPF for particles. Never heard of a DPF that doesn't need regeneration. But non of the diesels I know inform th driver that a DPF regeneration is in progress, which I find seriously annoying: My passat B8 240 BiTDi e.g. often regenerates at the end of my ~120km drive home (20km normal road, 80km Autobahn 180-200km/h, then 15km country roads again, last 15km at120km/h). This profile seems to trigger DPF regeneration 5...10min prior to arrival; very often when I arrive and turn the engine off, the radiator fans are running for additional ~10min and you can smell the heat. I then drive another 10kms to finish the regeneration cycle.

Why do they not inform you that regeneration is currently running, probably with an estimated time to finish? Something I would really appreciate in the Gren!
At my test drive in Welzheim the instructor showed me that in the Gren transfer case oil temp is measured and displayed, which I find really cool. She said that INEOS' philosophy is to give the driver as much as information possible; for me a "DPF reg in progress" info would be something I would appreciate.

At least for the Q5 I doubt that it doesn't regenerate. And also for the tractors (not knowing what type they are). Certain mfgr(s?) of tractor engines have managed to get rid of agr, but not DPF for stage V.
My Mercedes informs me DFP regen is taking place by stinking out my garage
I recall from one of the early videos there was mention that you would be informed that a regen was going to happen or how dirty the DPF was in %

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I suppose it helps i live 600ft up. Noah isnt on my xmas card list and the dpf gets a good roasting everytime on the way home.

600ft is nothing.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
Are you sure?

I also dislike my vw for not disclosing regen in process. I'm sure that the reasoning is to not bother the driver with regens but I don't like stopping mid burn. I would "take the long way home" to complete regen before stopping in the garage if I knew that I was mid burn. 2015 Jetta TDI

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I also dislike my vw for not disclosing regen in process. I'm sure that the reasoning is to not bother the driver with regens but I don't like stopping mid burn. I would "take the long way home" to complete regen before stopping in the garage if I knew that I was mid burn. 2015 Jetta TDI
Full ack! But apart from that I must say that the Passat B8 BiTDi is, in sum of all of its properties, the best car I ever had.
Could possibly only be beaten by the Gren...

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• 44385C2A-1A6C-4591-B02B-7BE36AB7B1D0.MOV
    19.4 MB
  • 06B6F4FE-D108-4EE0-9445-B4EE36E30A71.jpeg
    06B6F4FE-D108-4EE0-9445-B4EE36E30A71.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 39E49721-5C1A-4423-8890-4146706BC051.jpeg
    39E49721-5C1A-4423-8890-4146706BC051.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • C47B429A-3E60-4366-BDCC-0D0739F10851.jpeg
    C47B429A-3E60-4366-BDCC-0D0739F10851.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 62

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully someone will come along and make some storage “bins” to drop into the voids under the seat. Worst comes to worst maybe there will be a file on Thing I Verse to download and 3D print.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All. Just wanted to post a few of my thoughts from seeing and driving the car today, as well as perhaps adding a few additional bits of info. Hopefully some of the Melbourne guys can add some additional thoughts.

1/ The car is even better in the flesh than I could of imagined - I cannot wait to get mine. My brother came with me, and was lucky enough to get a drive too - now he wants one.
2/ It drives extremely well with heaps of power in the diesel, mated to a perfect gearbox with almost indiscernable gear changes.
3/ It will drive very nicely on the black top, with the subtle suspension absorbing a lot of the terrible Australian road conditions. At full speed, it just absorbed any of the divots and drains that we were able to drive over. They mentioned that they had a large aftermarket suspension supplier think that they could do a better job of the suspension tuning for the Australian market than Inoes had done. After a drive in the vehicle, the owner of said company apologised for his previous remarks.
4/ The stereo system has good sound for a 4x4 truck, about on par with standard vehicle systems - certainly not a fantastic sound system though.
5/ They still do not have a solution for Solar setups on the roof of the car, connecting into the battery system.
6/ The raised air intake can be fitted later on at any stage.
7/ In Australia about 70% of vehicles ordered are Diesels, and about 70% are Trialmasters.
8/ When connecting a large trailer, the vehicle has trailer sway control, however it does not change the gearbox shift patterns/engine revs based on the fact that is now towing - Thank goodness. Apparently it has a cracker of a transmission cooler too - good to know for towing in the Oz heat.
9/ Yes the winch does involve changing the front suspension setup. Just adding a Roo Bar does not change the suspension.
10/ Strangely the car felt a little smaller than I imagined - in physical size, as well as the way it handled. However there is plenty of legroom and passenger room. My son and I are both over 6ft, and sitting behind me he had plenty of legroom.
11/ The Recaro seats are the best cars seats I have ever sat in.
12/ The drivers side footrest is a double edged sword. I can imagine on very long drives, that you would find it hard to stretch your left leg, unless you stretched it above the brake pedal. However the wide footrest certainly didn't change any driving position or feel uncomfortable during the brief drive. In fact in off roading situations I think the large footrest comes in handy as it provides a firm footrest to push back against as you are attempting steep declines.
13/ There is minimal body roll in my opinion, and I would consider far less than any other vehicles of this size and weight.
14/ Like many have commented it feels like a Strong rigid vehicle - tank like but nimble at the same time.
15/ Like a tank, it feels like it could go anywhere, and immediately instills confidence in you as the driver that you can conquer the terrain. Nothing was too hard for it, in low gear or no low gear.
16 / The Safari roof sits forward of the head position of the driver, so if you are a balding bloke like me, then you are effectively sitting in the shade. The window is coated in a reflective coating. I don't usually like Sunroofs, but this one was not too bad.
17/ They indicated that they are still finalising some small unique items for Australian certification, but sounded like they are nearly there.

This is a good start, I may think of others to add.
However overall, it is an awesome package, and even though these cars were the ones brand new off the docks this week, they were still PT02's, with many things still to be rectified, I can only imagine how much better the full production cars will be.

Great review Davman! Well done.

I also went last Saturday and was so excited I completely forgot all my questions and only managed to take a few random pics. 😂

I agree that the glovebox is too small only good for your service book and the centre console is ridiculous. It will fit a wallet and stubby holder and not much else.
Ineos has done a fantastic job but the 200 series has a cavernous amount of storage if you compare the pair.
There is a little bit of room under the seats for some boxes or drawers to hide bits and pieces in though.
If they could install a mini fridge in the console space it’d be awesome in my opinion.

From a driving perspective, Compared to driving my mates lifted LC79 series (or any 79 for that matter) the comparison is vast. The grenadier was like a luxury vehicle (don’t tell the ATO 😉) smooth and easy with minimal lag between breaking and acceleration in the diesel.
The engine even sounded throaty enough without the V8.
We didn’t go over corrugations so can’t tell how it handled ruts but having done a few tracks in a 79, if the Grenadier doesn’t snake its way down the road I’ll be very very happy.
The Leather Recaro seats were very comfortable as well even when going up and over the hills. (Tempted to change my order from fabric to leather too)

For those torn by the colours, the web does not do the Green any justice at all.
My initial order was Donny Grey, but after seeing the Sela Green in person I’m changing my order.
Admittedly I’ve only seen Blue, Silver and the Green.

As for the Safari windows, you can have a full size roof rack (I believe Rhino was installed on the PT02) but you won’t be able to open them 😖 (and the height with the racks will restrict you from most undercover car parks with 2.1m clearance)
I‘m also second guessing my choice of Safari windows, I love the idea but the blazing Sun may be an issue in Aus
there are options i guess, like these..

or Ali Express has some.. but they look pretty nasty though.

or Tint a car may be able to do something?

my partners Rav has a electric shade for her panoramic moon roof which maybe Ineos could look into for G2.0?

An idea for a half rack I found here to maybe suit the Safari windows.

I asked about the battery setup and they are under the rear seat, BUT there is a jump start plug under the bonnet! nice and handy.

And the back seats fold down to open up the boot space but there’s about 100mm step up where the seats fold.
Could be alleviated by some drawers (although pretty thin) possibly?

Again, great review and hope to meet you round the traps sometime.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully someone will come along and make some storage “bins” to drop into the voids under the seat. Worst comes to worst maybe there will be a file on Thing I Verse to download and 3D print.
Absolutely Krabby,
The guys at the demo day said ARB have been doing 3D scans so they will definitely come up with some cool solutions.
Be nice to see their Bull Bar and side steps too.
And possibly a long range tank may be able to be squeezed in somewhere..

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Again-about the only upside I see for us North Americans having to wait is that the aftermarket goodies will be available and already put through their paces. Let me be the first to thank you early adopting Guinea pigs. 😉

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Again-about the only upside I see for us North Americans having to wait is that the aftermarket goodies will be available and already put through their paces. Let me be the first to thank you early adopting Guinea pigs. 😉
Haha. glad to help.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @DCPU I didn’t realize that the Gearmate ones were thee drawers. I rarely have people in my back seat but I can’t commit to always leaving it down. I can’t imagine getting any draw system in and out is easy.

Side note - I love that Ineos is trying to partner with UK companies like Gearmate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom