The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mandatory speed limiter EU on all cars from July 2022 and retrofitted in every other car by 2024

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval for Grenadier cost a smidgeon more than £110.
If you are interested, I think the next series Grenadier Type Approvals will be for its ADAS systems which obviously be incorporate speed limiting functionality. I don't know the timescales but the ADAS team is in Germany and were recruiting last year. All this mechatronics and sensor stuff leaves me cold but I'm a luddite at heart.

Retrained for thread integrity

Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure it does, the latter referred to the Provisional GB Type Approval Scheme, for which it would appear the cost is £110.

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure it does, the latter referred to the Provisional GB Type Approval Scheme, for which it would appear the cost is £110.
I've tried to be helpful/civil etc but I'm not sure what you are prattling on about. Grenadier type approval has cost many millions.

Stu.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well it's evident your not understand my point but that does not excuse your ignorance.

For the 2nd or 3rd time ~ I'm sure EU type approval is expensive but the Provisional GB Type Approval Scheme appears not to be.

It is the latter that Ineos need to sell vehicles here. You seen to "know" that the latter is in place but don't seem able to engage to provide more detail. Not to prove your right but just to share the information.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
It would be appreciated if we could keep this topic civil. It's an interesting thread and calling people ignorant or clueless doesn't really add much to the narrative.

• Use respect and courtesy when you have a different opinion than other members. People often come to this forum with questions about the Grenadier, they are looking for advice on how to buy, the ordering process and technical specifics. I encourage everyone to participate in the various discussions this creates, there may be several correct answers or maybe no right answer -- only suggestions, and thats ok. Disagreeing with other members is perfectly acceptable as long as you state your opinion or mere conjecture and use a respectful tone in your writing, the experience will be better for everyone if we remember this. As stated earlier the forum language is primarily English, however this may be a second or even third language for some of the members and this must be borne in mind.
Forum Guidelines

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Tell me how Type Approval works

I'm happy to hear from you, if indeed you have any knowledge to impart on the matter,
otherwise it seems reasonable to assume you lack said knowledge or information on the matter.

Here's what I think I know.

In the United Kingdom, there are separate provisions for Great Britain and Northern Ireland as a result of the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol. Under these terms Northern Ireland remains subject to EU type approval regulations.

However, a EU type approval cannot be used in GB.

Hence, a Provisional GB Type Approval Scheme which took effect on 1st January 2021.

Manufacturers holding an EU Type Approval require a Provisional GB Type Approval to place M, N, L and T category vehicles on the market in GB or to register vehicles for use on the roads in GB.

To apply for this Provisional GB Type Approval, a manufacturer goes to the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) with the appropriate EU type approval certificates.

THE VCA issues Provisional GB Type Approval numbers based on the EU type approval number. To differentiate between EU and Provisional GB Type Approvals the ‘e’ at the beginning of EU type approval numbers is replaced with a ‘p’ for Provisional GB Type Approvals.

Example of approval number format:

e1*2018/858*02349*00 → p1*2018/858*02349*00

This example represents the progression of a whole vehicle type approval issued in Germany (e1…) through to a Provisional GB Type Approval (p1…).

The cost to the manufacturer of obtaining this GB type approval is exactly £110, although it can go as high as £151 under certain conditions.

The process is of an entirely transactional basis. Application, certificate, and money gets you a rubber stamp and p number to sell into GB.

Over to you...

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
If you are adamant that Type Approving Grenadier should cost £110 maybe give the INEOS ADAS team in Boblingen a ring (+49 800 2008142) and then give Jim Ratcliffe a call at Hans Crescent and tell him how he has wasted his money.
I'm they will appreciate your insight.
Good luck

Stu.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So you really don't want to engage & share your insights/knowledge, just sneer at others trying to understand a little more?

I'm not sure if you are deliberately mis-reading what I have written or...

Genuine question ~ What do you know about GB / UK type approval?

Struck through text violates forum guidelines.

Stu.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
So you really don't want to engage & share your insights/knowledge, just sneer at others trying to understand a little more?

I'm not sure if you are deliberately mis-reading what I have written or...

Genuine question ~ What do you know about GB / UK type approval?
@DCPU @Clunster Will you two just stop as it is extremely annoying.
The rest of us are trying to just have fun and build a group of people who are normal humans.
@DCPU You argue and disagree with people constantly.
@Clunster you are new to this and have been sucked in to this.
I am growing tired of it all.
I want to enjoy the experience, process and camaraderie
I want to go off topic occasionally
I Would seriously like to meet up with other owners for a beer, a pie or a pork knuckle as time progresses.

Struck through text violates forum guidelines.

Stu.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The forum should be a broad church. If you're not interested in a topic then skip the thread.

Disagreement just means that we don't agree.

It's also a little rich coming you, who has de-railed some excellent threads with completely irrelevant topics, at the publically expressed annoyance of others. I guess that's your fun, but it's not mine.

I like detail and facts.

Live & let live.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
For me it's obvious that Clunster doesn't want to serve you more specific.

That you still insist on it seems to me to be more self-promotion than serving a real purpose. It looks very much like you want to trap clunster - but he won't go along with it - which I think is smart, and you should accept.

EDIT: wording

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If he doesn't reply he doesn't reply.

But as our moderator pointed out, it's an interesting topic.

If anyone else wants to wade in on the actual topic, then I'm eager to learn ~ every day's a school day.

On self promotion ~ you did make me laugh. 👍

Local time
Reaction score
If he doesn't reply he doesn't reply.

But as our moderator pointed out, it's an interesting topic.

If anyone else wants to wade in on the actual topic, then I'm eager to learn ~ every day's a school day.

On self promotion ~ you did make me laugh. 👍
I like detail and facts too.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to me that @DCPU is referring to the issuance of the certificate and cost of the certificate and not the development of a vehicle to meet type approval, unless I'm mistaken.

It also seems to me that @Clunster is referring to the development of a vehicle to meet type approval and not the certificate issuance cost.

Here's a link to the VCA for anybody that is interested, they go into detail about fees payable.

Out of personal interest can @DCPU please provide a link to where it states GB type approval is exactly £110

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
Im not sure I understand can we all go through it again please?

Joking of course.

I like this forum as unlike some others I frequen, we don’t really have the incessant keyboard warriors, and I like that, we are all rowing in the right direction as far as I can see.

Not everyone agrees with everything said but that’s human nature.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
You forgot the Amen. :cool:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to me that @DCPU is referring to the issuance of the certificate and cost of the certificate and not the development of a vehicle to meet type approval, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm pointing out that "EU type approval cannot be used in GB". That's a direct quote from the Gov. website you've linked to.

So GB type approval is required for the Grenadier in GB. GB type approval costs £110 (with caveats as per earlier post).

It's a farcical post-Brexit position that appears to be a scenario right out of "Passport to Pimlico". The EU type approval which can't be directly used in GB, is actually required for the GB approval process!

Out of personal interest can @DCPU please provide a link to where it states GB type approval is exactly £110
Screenshot_20221020_183857.jpg

It also seems to me that @Clunster is referring to the development of a vehicle to meet type approval and not the certificate issuance cost.

Development of any vehicle can cost large sums of money, that was never questioned.

Clunster stated the Grenadier had been through 2 rounds of Type Approval prior to the cutoff date for the speed limiter.

My ONLY interest was finding out more about the when, how, and where of these two rounds. Hence what I thought was a reasonable question to the OP for more info. (Not unlike the request above for the cost info?)

It's a piece of information that's particularly tricky to track down ~ as per the other thread, and my due diligence to try and obtain it.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you @DCPU for clarifying.

Have we answered if the Grenadier will have a speed limiter installed in the UK yet? I've lost track ;)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm actually not interested. Seems a complete storm in a teacup if you read past the inflammatory headlines and people guffing off opinion dressed up at fact.

Now type approval...😜

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve read through all this and, with my limited knowledge of vehicles electronics, there is enough transistors and other gubbins in the Gren as built to fit speed limiters. BUT….. has anyone spotted the necessary buttons on the control panels yet? A trawl through the media posts doesn’t seem to show anything or blank spaces for retro-fit: that would seem to indicate that IA are aware of the likely impact.

Back
Top Bottom