The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mandatory speed limiter EU on all cars from July 2022 and retrofitted in every other car by 2024

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
Hi. Yes I often misunderstand what @emax says as he is old and tends to ramble on. I think I will need to meet with him one day with a beer and some food to try to understand him more clearly. I think this will be a pleasant experience.
(y)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A bunch of old men drinking, eating, drinking, and lying about their past. Count me in. next time I go to Switzerland I will take some days off and catch a train.
(y)

We should seriously put this on our to-do list.

Dave visits Europe from time to time. If we know in advance when that is, it would be great fun to have an evening - and a morning off work to cure our headaches. I would come with my Grenadier then, of course.

And I wouldn't mind driving a couple hundred Kilometers to do it. A good dinner and a few beers among Grenadiers would be worth it. :cool:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
(y)

We should seriously put this on our to-do list.

Dave visits Europe from time to time. If we know in advance when that is, it would be great fun to have an evening - and a morning off work to cure our headaches. I would come with my Grenadier then, of course.

And I wouldn't mind driving a couple hundred Kilometers to do it. A good dinner and a few beers among Grenadiers would be worth it. :cool:
I was supposed to be there in October but had to cancel because I have a major product launch taking place in Australia on 14th October. I will kep in touch on this. I visit Basel (Reinach), Maulburg and Cernay so not far away
1664045452154.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
How about early 2023 - if you come here then? @bemax and me will then (hopefully) have our Grenadiers.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, that's a plan! (y)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ve got already a speed limiter - I can switch it on and off as needed - in previous GLK and current LR Disco. - I do not believe that they request retrofitting such functionality. Historic cars cannot be fittet - as they lack electronics. etc. So they either wont be enforced or exception rules applied. Also, - as long as in Germany no speedlimit is enforced I doubt. (Green Party however - this type of "man" we never know what will happen) EU bureauc-rats are always good in inventing new restrictions and laws. (lead, pharmaceuticals, .. ) It will take a while until people in Europe stop these and return to something that really works: common sense and act responsible. If people remembered this - laws are not required.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ve got already a speed limiter - I can switch it on and off as needed - in previous GLK and current LR Disco. - I do not believe that they request retrofitting such functionality. Historic cars cannot be fittet - as they lack electronics. etc. So they either wont be enforced or exception rules applied. Also, - as long as in Germany no speedlimit is enforced I doubt. (Green Party however - this type of "man" we never know what will happen) EU bureauc-rats are always good in inventing new restrictions and laws. (lead, pharmaceuticals, .. ) It will take a while until people in Europe stop these and return to something that really works: common sense and act responsible. If people remembered this - laws are not required.
the speed limiter is mandatory for all cars with a homologation date after July 7th 2022 or so.
From 2024 (I do not know the exact date) it has to be fitted in all new produced vehicles.
As far as I know there is no need for retrofit it in a yet produced car. (Which, as you mentioned, wouldn´t make any sence as the electronic and the sensors just are not built in)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
INEOS type approved Grenadier before speed-limiter hardware became mandatory for EU production vehicles. And while VOSA acts as the provisional wing of the EU there is no current (EU or UK) legislation regarding retrofitting so fingers crossed, early adopters will be safe.

Retrained for thread integrity

Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
INEOS type approved Grenadier before speed-limiter hardware became mandatory for EU production vehicles.
Can you share with us how you know this to be a fact?

And while VOSA acts as the provisional wing of the EU there is no current (EU or UK) legislation regarding retrofitting so fingers crossed, early adopters will be safe.
VOSA no longer exists. In fact it closed on 31st March 2014 & was replaced DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards AGENCY); however, as far as type approval is concerned then the appropriate executive agency is VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency).

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Wont be long before we get a forum member with an actual IG who can confirm or deny any questions posed here, and yes, it is unlikely the mandatory speed limiter will be fitted to older cars, although mine has a temporary one when SWMBO is a passenger. ;)

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Can you share with us how you know this to be a fact?

VOSA no longer exists. In fact it closed on 31st March 2014 & was replaced DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards AGENCY); however, as far as type approval is concerned then the appropriate executive agency is VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency).
I know it to be a fact because the legislation makes Intelligent Speed Assist 'speed limiters' mandatory on new vehicles that went through type approval after May 2022. INEOS went through 2 rounds of Type Approval both before that date.
Vehicles that went through type approval before May 2022 have until May 2024 to install them in new vehicles. There is no legislative provision to require retrofitting of ISA/Speed limiters to preexisting vehicles.
Yes VOSA now identify as the DVSA, changing their name at great cost to the tax payer, I use their old name because it winds up pedants.

Retrained for thread integrity

Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I often have a speed limiter in my car, but she is learning not to look at the speedo.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So are you referring to EU type approval and then the Provisional GB Type Approval Scheme?

As far as I can see the cost of obtaining the latter, based on the former is just £110.

Back
Top Bottom