Mandatory speed limiter EU on all cars from July 2022 and retrofitted in every other car by 2024

Chocki

Contributor
No where has any mention been made about the new mandatory speed limiter that has to be fitted to all new EU cars from July 2022 and retrofitted into all other cars by 2024.
I do hope this is not going to be some sort of bolt on afterthought of a box on the Grenadier and how does this even work if you are off road?.
These boxes apart from limiting your speed will also be recording your driving all the time as well, basically black boxes for your car.
Bet insurance companies and law enforcement agencies will want access to these as well, just nothing has been mentioned yet and I haven't seen anyone ask this question yet if this could happen.
Your thoughts apart from the obvious which would be filled with expletives!
 

Ipe

Contributor
I was going to write a bunch about how a device like sounds like a load of horse excrement, but mums taught me that when you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all, so I'm just going to leave it at this small, minor violation of mums rule. 
 

CountyV8

Contributor
Chocki said:
No where has any mention been made about the new mandatory speed limiter that has to be fitted to all new EU cars from July 2022 and retrofitted into all other cars by 2024.
I do hope this is not going to be some sort of bolt on afterthought of a box on the Grenadier and how does this even work if you are off road?.
These boxes apart from limiting your speed will also be recording your driving all the time as well, basically black boxes for your car.
Bet insurance companies and law enforcement agencies will want access to these as well, just nothing has been mentioned yet and I haven't seen anyone ask this question yet if this could happen.
Your thoughts apart from the obvious which would be filled with expletives!

The Police already access the sensors of cars in serious RTC s everything from speed steering position throttle pos suspension heave etc X however many sensors your car has.
 

ADVAW8S

Contributor
Founding Guard
I dont live in the EU but I did do some digging and it looks like you might be overstating the facts.  The speed limiter is coming but you will have the ability to turn it off.  The car will not stop you from speeding but provide a warning that you are speeding via haptic or acoustic noise.   if ignored, it will stop.   

Here is a great video explaining the situation.   Here in the US, it will never happen.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u90uIuoqnQ0&t=356s
 

Ipe

Contributor
Watched the vid. How are you EU folks not marching on these bureaucrats with torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers? The International Federation of Pedestrians? Are you kidding me? What pedestrians are federating? Are there federation club meetings? Are individual pedestrians being asked to pay dues? What's next? A sensor that checks your underwear cleanliness to gauge if you're accident worthy? 
 

Tazzieman

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Founding Guard
Somewhere I read that the IG would be limited to 160km/hr.It's pretty unlikely I would get near this anywhere in Australia. Even if overtaking 3 or 4 road trains and there was an approaching vehicle.However crazy Europeans will drive at any speed they can. Even if it's an overloaded brick on mud tyres.
 

Chocki

Contributor
The being able to override the speed limit is only for the initial rollout, with plans to hard enforce it once it has become the norm on cars.

And yes the rules we get made by a committee in the EU sometimes beg belief. 
 

DaveB

Active Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Tazzieman said:
Somewhere I read that the IG would be limited to 160km/hr.It's pretty unlikely I would get near this anywhere in Australia. Even if overtaking 3 or 4 road trains and there was an approaching vehicle.However crazy Europeans will drive at any speed they can. Even if it's an overloaded brick on mud tyres.[/QUOTE 
I regularly sit on 145-155 kmh on the highway/motorway in my car (below) but the drivers in Australia aren't trained to deal with it. 

In Germany I did 220kmh, and felt totally safe, as the drivers are trained to move out overtake and move back. 
Even in Sicily in a Fiat 500 I did 150 kmh before the car started to get a bit floaty. 
The Fiat Panda in Italy was scary at 130 kmh. 

The Grenadier is not designed/intended to be a 200 kmh plus vehicle. It has the aerodynamics of a brick wall.     
 

emax

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Ipe said:
Watched the vid. How are you EU folks not marching on these bureaucrats with torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers? The International Federation of Pedestrians? Are you kidding me? What pedestrians are federating? Are there federation club meetings? Are individual pedestrians being asked to pay dues? What's next? A sensor that checks your underwear cleanliness to gauge if you're accident worthy? 

Though I am German (and thus live in the EU): You're completely right. The EU is a spawn of arrogant smartasses which claim to know what's good for the people and what not. They claim nothing less but to rescue the planet. They have forbidden incandescent bulbs, they prescribed what the size and the radius of a banana warping has to be (not kidding) , and they have many other bad ideas to enslave the people living in Europe.

That's Europe.
 

emax

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Tazzieman said:
However crazy Europeans will drive at any speed they can. Even if it's an overloaded brick on mud tyres.

That's wrong. Only Germany does in theory not have a speed limit on the "Autobahn". Other European countries do.

But around 40 percent of German 'Autobahn's are indeed speed limited. Additionally, there are zillions of construction sites and mobile maintenance roadworks which restrain the traffic with additional speed limits. Traffic is mostly very congested, and fuel is very expensive. Despite all these injustices, almost everyone drives sensibly. And though 34% of all kilometers are driven on the Autobahn, only 6.7% percent of all accidents happen there - with declining tendency.

And though idiots are of course everywhere, the Autobahn is the safest road in Germany - without a general (see before) speed limit.
 

Tazzieman

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Founding Guard
I have no qualms about travelling at significant speed on the autobahn/autostrada. I have travelled quite a bit over the years :&lt? Accident free I might add since 1980.But the blocky, heavy  Grenadier on any tyre at high speed is ridiculous and pointless.Get a Porsche , they are a lot of fun ? 
 

emax

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
When I was young (tm) I used to drive at Vmax a lot, e.g. with my BMW 325i: 235 Kmh. With time, I learned how pointless this was, with any car, even with a Porsche.

Since it was not possible to drive at this speed all the time, I ended up with an average speed of 170 kmh on the autobahn. So it turned out that over a distance of 35 kilometers (which was my autobahn leg to get to work) this saved me just four (!) minutes in comparison to 130 kmh.

Today, 35 years later, my cruising speed is mostly between 120 and 130 kmh, and the (very few) peaks almost never exceed 150 kmh.

No more sweating hands, less risk, much less wear and way less fuel burn.
 

DaveB

Active Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Tazzieman said:
I have no qualms about travelling at significant speed on the autobahn/autostrada. I have travelled quite a bit over the years :
 

Tazzieman

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Founding Guard
DaveB said:
Yes I agree
There is a time limit on how long I can drive like a 30 year old. 
I am about to hit 60 and need to take a reality check. 
My car is designed to drive quickly and I enjoy every minute of it.
But there are times when I would rather just cruise along in comfort and relax
The Grenadier is my 60th birthday present to myself.....and so my wife and family can relax. 
Last holiday my wife looked at me and said.. 156... really??

I'm 60 in August and have earned a big present also!I have a smaller fast car and a small racetrack nearby - should I wish to scratch the 30 year old in me. Which is not often.Prefer racing on a running track!
 

emax

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
I agree with racing related fun. But crowed public roads are no fun: speed cameras, red lights, bad drivers, speed breakers ... the list is endless.

There is little room for brisk driving: we are a country with - as an average (!) - over 230 people per km²  ....

The only roads suitable for occasional speedy driving are some lonely mountain roads on the countryside. Sometimes I drive there just for fun. But daily mobility is different.
 

Chocki

Contributor
I too have slowed down, used to drive at stupid speeds years ago, limited only by how fast the car would go, I think the term digital driver would be apt!.
My current Yeti has the aerodynamics of a brick so I know how bad economy can get with speed (130mph = 9mpg drop to 115 and you looking at mid 20s).
(Before anyone says anything this was in Germany on an Autobahn where it was allowed!).
The ever rising cost of fuel now keeps me to 70 / 80 mph to achieve 40 to 45 mpg.

With a Grenadier I would expect my journey times to increase especially from the UK to Poland and back ?
I certainly wont be driving at 100mph.
 

Disco Dave

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
The only time you would do more than 160 km/hr in a Grenadier, would be the curiosity of knowing how fast it actually goes. Oh, and being able to tell your mates about it. Like, why is this even an issue?
 

DedkovCZE

Contributor
I hope Grenadier won't have that new speed limiter. I think they want to pull it thru the process before it will become mandatory because this new limiters need a camera to see road sign for speed limit for comparring it with GPS data and i didn't see any camera in web configurator at windscreen.
 

Chocki

Contributor
The fact that the existing mirror assembly looks uncluttered on the grenadier vids and pics I've seen so far means there is not likely a camera as standard. What worries me is what sort of abomination may have to be fitted to comply with this rule. 
 

DedkovCZE

Contributor
Chocki said:
The fact that the existing mirror assembly looks uncluttered on the grenadier vids and pics I've seen so far means there is not likely a camera as standard. What worries me is what sort of abomination may have to be fitted to comply with this rule. 
I believe that they won't be able to order it for older cars. I guess they won't risk massive riots. So many people, who don't have money and taste to follow this idiots' rules, live in EU.
 
Top