The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread LOST 4X4 Build: Aftermarket Wheels and Roof Top Tent

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Using a tape measure and pictures of other peoples setups.

Offsets in the +3Xmm's had too much poke for the tyre size I wanted.

Also in Australia you can increase your track width only by 50mm (therefore 25mm per side), so increasing the tyre size 20mm in width (285's) gave 10mm per side and the offset of +45 (original +55) giving another 10mm per side, therefore legally the max would be an offset of another 5mm with my current tyre size.

The max offset I could therefore go was +40mm anyway.

Hi Darby

Track is measured from the inside of one wheel to the outside of the opposite wheel, so effectively the centre of one tyre to the other.
the width of the tyres don't affect track, so in Australia you are legal to an offset 30+ but poke off course is a different matter.
Your Grenadier looks fantastic, I have a set of Black Rhino Yellowstone wheels 17" 38+ at home, just waiting for the grenadier to arrive to put them on.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
This is the setup I want but with the TX27. I had their previous Black Series Max version and I LOVED it...
I had my eye on the TX27 for a hot minute - very much an ideal tent with respect to features, but I think it's just too darn heavy for my plans. It's 271 lbs. Just as an example, paired with the Bush 270 Max awning (74lbs), we're already above the 330 lbs. dynamic roof load rating, and that does not account for the weight of cross bars or a rack. As a result, I'm looking hard at the AX27 and the Alu-Cab Gen 3R.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:43 PM
Reaction score
I had my eye on the TX27 for a hot minute - very much an ideal tent with respect to features, but I think it's just too darn heavy for my plans. It's 271 lbs. Just as an example, paired with the Bush 270 Max awning (74lbs), we're already above the 330 lbs. dynamic roof load rating, and that does not account for the weight of cross bars or a rack. As a result, I'm looking hard at the AX27 and the Alu-Cab Gen 3R.
I had the Black Series Max on my LR3, and it weighs the same, plus my awning was about 80 lbs. Both the Front Runner and the Voyager Rack did great, as did the LR3 handling it all. I've been looking at the Tuff Stuff Overland version though, the Alpine 51. It weighs less and costs $2800 during the BF sale time, PLUS a free awning of your choice ($800 value). So I may do that. I already sold the Max.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi Darby

Track is measured from the inside of one wheel to the outside of the opposite wheel, so effectively the centre of one tyre to the other.
the width of the tyres don't affect track, so in Australia you are legal to an offset 30+ but poke off course is a different matter.
Your Grenadier looks fantastic, I have a set of Black Rhino Yellowstone wheels 17" 38+ at home, just waiting for the grenadier to arrive to put them on.
I just learnt something new! Always assumed it was outside to outside!

And damn that should look the goods!

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Loc Nar, I couldn't attach images in the conversation section so here's the requested photos with safari windows open. She's a bit filthy even though I washed her a week ago!

IMG_4834.jpg
IMG_4835.jpg
IMG_4836.jpg

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
Awesome, Darby! Thanks for posting. That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with my build. I wondering if I can get by with three crossbars though. I'm getting the OEM Rhino ones. Your thoughts on that?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
This is what I was wondering, at least in the US, I've never heard of a slider being "compatible" or "not compatible"
Are there any crash or crush sensors there??? I'm wondering.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome, Darby! Thanks for posting. That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with my build. I wondering if I can get by with three crossbars though. I'm getting the OEM Rhino ones. Your thoughts on that?
Definitely think the OEM rhino ones would work well as they have nice and wide mounts which are deep to the body, and yeah atleast 3 would be the way to go I reckon. I always considered holding off my install to go OEM rhino ones instead but the front runner ones have turned out solid so far but don’t mount as wide as the OEM ones etc.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Are there any crash or crush sensors there??? I'm wondering.
The sensors are either on the bottom of the B pillar or in the doors in every vehicle I've seen

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Urban Automotive (UA) have updated their side steps (now "V2") so they have better ground clearance and are now an option to be considered in my opinion. (pic below)

I really liked LeTech's side steps, as they are much stronger and a true rock slider but they were $3800 shipped to Australia pre import taxes.

Emailed UA for quote to order to Australia, but think I'm sold (hopefully all up under 2k shipped to AUS including import taxes).

Screenshot 2023-11-18 095031.png

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Urban Automotive (UA) have updated their side steps (now "V2") so they have better ground clearance and are now an option to be considered in my opinion. (pic below)

I really liked LeTech's side steps, as they are much stronger and a true rock slider but they were $3800 shipped to Australia pre import taxes.

Emailed UA for quote to order to Australia, but think I'm sold (hopefully all up under 2k shipped to AUS including import taxes).

View attachment 7832958
Hi Darby, I’m very interested to see what this quote ends up being. Like you I have my heart set on the letech ones but that price they gave you is pretty steep! I’d have another 15% GST on top too 🙄
I quite like the Buzz Overland ones as well - you must surely have seen them too eh?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7832958
Anyone know what rims those are. Look great. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Darby, I’m very interested to see what this quote ends up being. Like you I have my heart set on the letech ones but that price they gave you is pretty steep! I’d have another 15% GST on top too 🙄
I quite like the Buzz Overland ones as well - you must surely have seen them too eh?
I have the Buzz sliders with built in steps. Very happy with them too. Absolutely solid and the right look for the Grenadier. Also very impressed with Caveman’s interpretation using the factory sliders.

Attachments

• IMG_2869.jpeg
    IMG_2869.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 48

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the Buzz sliders with built in steps. Very happy with them too. Absolutely solid and the right look for the Grenadier. Also very impressed with Caveman’s interpretation using the factory sliders.
Hi Cheshire cat, I love the look and build quality of the Buzz sliders with built in steps. The step height is just too high for members of my family or I would have purchased them already.

I was looking at Caveman's modifications to his Grenadier rock sliders and came up with an idea.

Below is a link to Caveman's photo of his modification. His modification gave me an idea, see second link below. Like to get your input.
DaBull

https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ified-into-side-step.12413551/post-1333229201

https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ified-into-side-step.12413551/post-1333229492

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Cheshire cat, I love the look and build quality of the Buzz sliders with built in steps. The step height is just too high for members of my family or I would have purchased them already.

I was looking at Caveman's modifications to his Grenadier rock sliders and came up with an idea.

Below is a link to Caveman's photo of his modification. His modification gave me an idea, see second link below. Like to get your input.
DaBull

https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ified-into-side-step.12413551/post-1333229201

https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ified-into-side-step.12413551/post-1333229492
I think now that Caveman has shown some viable options using the original sliders, there is no reason why you couldn't adopt his idea in the way you suggest. With you wife being only 4'6", you still have some challenges I would think. No chance of a flip down step like the old Defenders used to have I guess?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think now that Caveman has shown some viable options using the original sliders, there is no reason why you couldn't adopt his idea in the way you suggest. With you wife being only 4'6", you still have some challenges I would think. No chance of a flip down step like the old Defenders used to have I guess?
Hi Cheshire cat, 4'11". I don't want to get her upset, she packs a good punch.
I prefer the look of a full length slider vs a flip down step.
Congratulations again on the Buzz slider/steps. Damm nice!
Yes, I agree that Caveman has shown the way on a great mod. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Cheshire cat, 4'11". I don't want to get her upset, she packs a good punch.
I prefer the look of a full length slider vs a flip down step.
Congratulations again on the Buzz slider/steps. Damm nice!
Yes, I agree that Caveman has shown the way on a great mod. DaBull
Apologies for getting the wife's height wrong. Whatever her height, I wouldn't want to be upsetting her. :)

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like Black Rhino York, maybe?
Thanks MTNDOG. I have similar looking rims on my 2020 new Defender,
They are from Redbourne and the rim model is called Alston. I have really enjoyed them.
DaBull

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back.
And I also don't mind the Buzz Overland but they are also double the cost of the urban automotive ones, so I'll get the Urban quote and decide from there probably. I'd probably go LeTech over the Buzz ones if spending that much money as you can use a high-lift jack off them.

Back
Top Bottom