The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread LOST 4X4 Build: Aftermarket Wheels and Roof Top Tent

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Only about 1cm, poke turned out quite subtle. If you want a wider comparison the Kenyan Grenadier has +38 offset with same size tires which pokes a lot.

Cheers!
Thanks - Yeah, I do like the stance of Kenyan Grenadier, but will land in between his and your offset. Thanks for the reply.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
A rock slider is airbag compatible when it still allows the side airbags to deploy in a crash. With Rock Armor the rock sliders collapse enough so the side airbags still deploy, they show this process in the video I posted (with the rock slider off the car on a test bench). If the rock sliders do not partially collapse the airbags may not deploy.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
If the rock sliders do not partially collapse the airbags may not deploy.
I would think you would have more chance of the airbags deploying if the rock sliders did not collapse.

Perhaps if the actual crush cans contained a mechanism to activate the airbags before any other inertial sensors activated the airbags then that might be advantageous but that's not the case here is it.

The bloke in the video states the sliders have "ADR compliant crumple zones" but that seems a direct contradiction of the statement in this article:

"the term ‘ADR-compliant’ can be misinterpreted as applying to a particular accessory, rather than the fact it means the accessory is ‘compliant’ because it does not affect or alter the performance and safety of the vehicle as it was originally designed to meet a specific ADR"

Waffle about "maximum strength off-road" and suggesting a double tube gives "extra strength" over other single tube designs without comparing tube material, diameter, wall thickness, etc is a nonsense.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Waffle about "maximum strength off-road" and suggesting a double tube gives "extra strength" over other single tube designs without comparing tube material, diameter, wall thickness, etc is a nonsense.
^^^^^This

If I'm not mistaken, the airbag sensor doesn't detect physical crushing, but rather lateral G forces/roll.

I've seen plenty of American trucks with extraordinarily robust sliders that have been involved in collisions activating the side airbags without deforming the sliders in any way

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
^^^^^This

If I'm not mistaken, the airbag sensor doesn't detect physical crushing, but rather lateral G forces/roll.

I've seen plenty of American trucks with extraordinarily robust sliders that have been involved in collisions activating the side airbags without deforming the sliders in any way
If you can get the technical data about the side airbags out of INEOS, you would be a champion. Until then, common sense tells me to only install rock sliders that say they are airbag compatible from a known maker.

Bullbars is another area that talk about airbag compatibility. I can confirm from actual experience the SMARTBAR here is Australia is airbag compatible and the driver’s airbag did deploy in a front on accident.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Until then, common sense tells me to only install rock sliders that say they are airbag compatible from a known maker.
"Airbag compatible" seems a meaningless term with regard to such accessories. "ADR compliant" seems to be the requirement and that then has to be in relation to a specific vehicle.

Bullbars is another area that talk about airbag compatibility. I can confirm from actual experience the SMARTBAR here is Australia is airbag compatible and the driver’s airbag did deploy in a front on accident.
Referring back to the article in my earlier post, the issue described there is the opposite to allowing airbag deployment, that is preventing premature deployment:

" TJM’s Luke elaborated on one of the tests involved: “One of the physical checks we do for airbag compatibility is a low-speed, no-fire crash test. This test simulates the vehicle impacting a rigid, immovable object at a speed where airbags should not deploy. A poorly designed FPS may deploy airbags in these sorts of crashes. This is a safety risk for the occupants and results in a very high repair bill.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Just fitted 285/70/17 Bfg km3's on spare set of OEM steels. Will keep the ko2 for summer/alps.

Massive thanks once again to AJS Tyres for sourcing and fitting. They are located at the bottom of the M25 and always give excellent and professional service. Speak to Andy or Dean. Have had a few Grens in to show but I'm the first for tyres. They are impressed and proper off-road lads. https://www.reigate-tyres.co.uk/?y_source=1_MTM5NzQ1MTYtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU=

TPMS bought and fitted from aftermarket supplier, will post details on TPMS thread. Unfortunately after working for a while they then showed 73.9psi on all 4 tyres and 'TPMS Lost' all the way home and even an on/off start at the petrol station. (How can a 3/4 90l full tank take 45 litres? oh well).

It may be because I have the 5 original wheels/tyres/sensors in the back. Will test once removed.

No rubbing on lock and still room to turn the stops in if choose to do so. A further 1inch offset or 25-30mm spacers (not preferred) would've been nice but then that cakes the body more.
This looks Fan-F’n-Tastic! The KM’s were made for Grenadiers. Thanks so much for posting. I’ve been looking all over for info regarding the 285/70r17 KM3 fitting on the OEM steelies with their 55MM offset.
Looking forward to fitting mine! 🤙

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Posting my new setup which was fitted today.
  • tyres: MAXXIS RAZR AT811 285/70/17’s
  • wheels: Black Rhino Stadium, 6x130, offset +45mm (rare offset in this specific wheel)
Haven't driven enough to notice fuel consumption difference etc. Handles great so far though.

View attachment 7826054
View attachment 7826055

Getting tinting done next week, will post more photos once that's complete.

Desperately need to find some aftermarket sidesteps, local fabricator can't make me a set due to the curtain side airbags!

Feel free to follow my Instagram @lost4x4aus.
Does the spare foul the rear door?

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Build Continued: Roof Top Tent

Bushcompany AX27 installed.

Power in tent connected to front left roof DTP plug (EXT 3), since wired up lights and chargers in the tent, works great.
x4 Front Runner bars used, ever so slight bowing in gutters between feet but otherwise no further flex with weight added in tent, feels rock solid.

Safari windows can still be opened but not removed.

Addit: OEM IG rear ladder helps a lot for setting up and means I can store the tent ladder inside the tent as I can get up to it with the rear ladder to open and pack up.

IMG_4747.jpgIMG_4744.jpg

Future mods I want to do:
- Side steps / rock sliders (definitely next on list once I find a viable option in Australia)
- Light bar
- In-built compressor (preferably ARB double)
- Suspension upgrade (will wait until 1.5 to 2" options are out there)
- Rewire electrics (including dual battery system, adding solar, and adding tow brake controller and power to rear)

Last edited:

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score

Power in tent connected to front left roof DTP plug (EXT 3), since wired up lights and chargers in the tent, works great.
x4 Front Runner bars used, ever so slight bowing in gutters between feet but otherwise no further flex with weight added in tent, feels rock solid.

Addit: OEM IG rear ladder helps a lot for setting up and means I can store the tent ladder inside the tent as I can get up to it with the rear ladder to open and pack up.

View attachment 7830807View attachment 7830808

- Side steps / rock sliders (definitely next on list once I find a viable option in Australia)
- Light bar
- Rewire electrics (including dual battery system, adding solar, and adding tow brake controller and power to rear)
This is the setup I want but with the TX27. I had their previous Black Series Max version and I LOVED it...

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the setup I want but with the TX27. I had their previous Black Series Max version and I LOVED it...
Yeah nice, personally couldn't justify the money for the TX27 but it would be more awesome again over the AX27, keen to see pictures when you get it done!

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah nice, personally couldn't justify the money for the TX27 but it would be more awesome again over the AX27, keen to see pictures when you get it done!
Me neither, I got a new floor model Black series Max for $3000 USD, and they want $6000 USD for the TX27. That price is a no go for me. I’ll wait to find it used. I have a CVT Mt Denali for now.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
  • wheels: Black Rhino Stadium, 6x130, offset +45mm (rare offset in this specific wheel)
Haven't driven enough to notice fuel consumption difference etc. Handles great so far though.

View attachment 7826055
How did you come to figure the offset of +45mm?

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How did you come to figure the offset of +45mm?

Using a tape measure and pictures of other peoples setups.

Offsets in the +3Xmm's had too much poke for the tyre size I wanted.

Also in Australia you can increase your track width only by 50mm (therefore 25mm per side), so increasing the tyre size 20mm in width (285's) gave 10mm per side and the offset of +45 (original +55) giving another 10mm per side, therefore legally the max would be an offset of another 5mm with my current tyre size.

The max offset I could therefore go was +40mm anyway.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7826054
View attachment 7826055

Getting tinting done next week, will post more photos once that's complete.

Desperately need to find some aftermarket sidesteps, local fabricator can't make me a set due to the curtain side airbags!

Feel free to follow my Instagram @lost4x4aus.

Further posts:
Roof Top Tent: https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ls-and-roof-top-tent.12413056/post-1333223769
That looks sick!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7830807View attachment 7830808

- Light bar
Love the License Plate. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom